Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ESPN's 30 for 30: Ceasefire Massacre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,821 Posts
    I just watched it. Unwatchable tripe. I'm sure it's okay for those less versed but it was cringeworthy. Avoid.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    210 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    As the 1993 qualifier in Belfast is covered, Alan McLoughlin features in a funny interview, from inside Windsor Park after his goal helped us qualify, dedicating the goal to all the supporters in the pubs and clubs "back in Ireland". Where he thought he was, I'm not sure; maybe still on cloud nine?
    I had to listen to that clip twice, I wasn't sure I was hearing correctly!
    End Apartheid Now! One Team in Ireland!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Look at IrishCentral.com if you want a skewed N.American view of the 'Auld Sod'. Actually, don't.
    And they should know better!

4. Thanks From:

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Look at IrishCentral.com if you want a skewed N.American view of the 'Auld Sod'. Actually, don't.
    And they should know better!
    Thats an awful site

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    414 Posts
    Yeah that site doesn't speak for us. They do these top ten lists to get a rise out of you and they are never accurate. They claim you take naps in a bog after you get lost when you leave a pub. I don't even know what a bog is.

Anyway yeah the Nancy Kerrigan Tonya Harding 30/30 is better than that one. To think you could get that close to a pro athlete during the US Championships that you could walk into the arena with a crobar, hit the #1 ranked skater as she comes off the ice in the knee, then run away and not get caught for awhile...that would NEVER happen now.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    The Two Escobars one from a few years ago is also very good. Trailer:

Last edited by Metrostars; 07/05/2014 at 12:39 PM.
    "Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.
    "Ooooohhhh Nooooooo" Bobby Robson 91st minute.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    While we are on the topic of Americans stubbornly insisting that we all have red hair even though Irish people with red hair make up a tiny minority of our country, Scotland has the highest amount of red haired people per capita, red hair originated in Scandinavia and there are the same amount of people (give or take) with red hair and fair hair for that matter in any English speaking country - let's see how many red haired footballers we can come up with from non-English speaking countries.

Fernando Aristeguieta - Nantes (Venezuelan)
    John Arne Riise - Fulham (Norwegian)
    Jeremy Mathieu - Valencia (French)
    Davide Biondini - Sassuolo (Italian)
    Alessandro Gazzi - Torino (Italian)
    Sergio - (Retired) (Spanish)
    Matthias Sammer - (Retired) (German)

That's what I got off the top of my head. I know there is more.
    Freddie

Or perhaps you're talking collars and cuffs?
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    If someone asked me to name a red-haired footballer, the first that would spring to mind would be an American; Alexi Lalas. Perhaps surprisingly, he is of Greek extraction.

Does Valderrama count?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,821 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metrostars View Post
    The Two Escobars one from a few years ago is also very good. Trailer:

That is a wonderful film.

Loved every minute.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    414 Posts
    The Petrovic one about Yugoslavia and his relationship with Divac is the tops.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,821 Posts
    I think that's one of the original few I've yet to see. But I can imagine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    414 Posts
    You would love it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    414 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    I mean has there ever been a positive or normal portrayal of Ireland or Irish people on American TV?
    One of the great portrayals of an Irishman in American cinema, I think you would agree, Is Seamus McFly. And It's (Back To The Future III) on TV all the time. There is one caveat though, one that Francis Ford Coppola often includes in his lectures about the effect the Irish have had on many classic films, even to an Italian American like himself. You see, Seamus McFly is played by Michael J Fox, who is lending his skills to a dual role. Since his other character, Marty McFly, has the same last name as Seamus, it can be gathered that Seamus is his Great Grandfather on his Paternal side. However, Lea Thompson plays Seamus wife, (Marty McFly's great great Grandmother). She also plays Marty's mother in the two prequels to BTTF III. This makes no sense. Lea Thompson (as Marty's mother) would not look exactly like Marty's great great grandmother on his paternal side, because her blood lines would come from his maternal side. His mother would not have been (likely) related to Seamus McFly or his wife. Ms Thompson is known to be easy to work with, and the director wanted her to have a roll, but it is essentially an error. But, that aside, I'm sure you would agree that Seamus, who was based on an Irish rebel forced to flee Ireland around 1885, was and is a positive portrayal of an Irish person within an American medium. In fact, many of my Irish American friends have Seamus tattoos and they take great pride in showing them off to Irish people they meet in holding cells after being jailed for fighting other bar patrons.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,821 Posts
    First rate Crosby

17. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    About time he wrote something decent.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    I thought the documentary was OK. Some simple errors as has been pointed out but still interesting.

Loughinisland occurred a few weeks before the first IRA ceasefire. So the claim that Northern Ireland was close to peace at the time of the massacre is valid imo. The Bill Flynn claim is interesting albeit unlikely and contrived a little maybe to include another U.S. angle. The main theory was that it was retaliation for the INLA killing of 3 people 2 days earlier in Belfast.

It was a horrific attack on innocent people watching a football match on tv. However it was one of many many atrocities carried out on innocent people in Northern Ireland. I think it would be a bit much to claim it affected the team's performance in subsequent games.

We played in Belfast in November 1993 & November 1994 (pre and post ceasefire). The attitude of fans down here was totally different. Only a handful of fans went to the 1993 game (less than 50 I reckon). We had easily 1,000+ in 1994. I went across the border many times to watch football in the 80's and 90's incl the ICF a few months before the 93 game. I never had an issue but November 93 was far more tense than any other occasion I can recall (I couldn't comment on the early 70's) due to Greysteel and the Shankill Road massacre. I took precautions then that I never did on other occasions such as very limited driving after dark and staying near Belfast whereas I came back after the 88 & 94 games. There were fears that the nutjobs on either side could target football fans. I really struggled to offload tickets at face value (£10) when fans pulled out a few days beforehand. Now I do believe some of the events in the stadium were overblown but that is a different story. Even Ray's claim re being told not to sit near the windows of the bus followed by a shot of the team bus with plenty of window seats occupied.

I found out the following morning from the taxi driver taking me to the airport. We had a massive party in New York after the Italy game and I don't think anyone knew.

Italy may well be our best ever win but we had already beaten Germany away and Holland away that year and were ranked 6th in the world. It was not that big a shock. It wasn't expected but we had knocked out the European Champions in qualifying. Losing to Holland in the second round was also a mild surprise. I think it is fair to say almost everyone expected us to lose to Italy in 1990 but 94 was a different story. T would class the win over England in 1988 to be the greatest moment in Irish Sporting history closely followed by Romania in Genoa.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,821 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gspain01 View Post
    I thought the documentary was OK. Some simple errors as has been pointed out but still interesting.

Loughinisland occurred a few weeks before the first IRA ceasefire. So the claim that Northern Ireland was close to peace at the time of the massacre is valid imo. The Bill Flynn claim is interesting albeit unlikely and contrived a little maybe to include another U.S. angle. The main theory was that it was retaliation for the INLA killing of 3 people 2 days earlier in Belfast.

It was a horrific attack on innocent people watching a football match on tv. However it was one of many many atrocities carried out on innocent people in Northern Ireland. I think it would be a bit much to claim it affected the team's performance in subsequent games.

We played in Belfast in November 1993 & November 1994 (pre and post ceasefire). The attitude of fans down here was totally different. Only a handful of fans went to the 1993 game (less than 50 I reckon). We had easily 1,000+ in 1994. I went across the border many times to watch football in the 80's and 90's incl the ICF a few months before the 93 game. I never had an issue but November 93 was far more tense than any other occasion I can recall (I couldn't comment on the early 70's) due to Greysteel and the Shankill Road massacre. I took precautions then that I never did on other occasions such as very limited driving after dark and staying near Belfast whereas I came back after the 88 & 94 games. There were fears that the nutjobs on either side could target football fans. I really struggled to offload tickets at face value (£10) when fans pulled out a few days beforehand. Now I do believe some of the events in the stadium were overblown but that is a different story. Even Ray's claim re being told not to sit near the windows of the bus followed by a shot of the team bus with plenty of window seats occupied.

I found out the following morning from the taxi driver taking me to the airport. We had a massive party in New York after the Italy game and I don't think anyone knew.

Italy may well be our best ever win but we had already beaten Germany away and Holland away that year and were ranked 6th in the world. It was not that big a shock. It wasn't expected but we had knocked out the European Champions in qualifying. Losing to Holland in the second round was also a mild surprise. I think it is fair to say almost everyone expected us to lose to Italy in 1990 but 94 was a different story. T would class the win over England in 1988 to be the greatest moment in Irish Sporting history closely followed by Romania in Genoa.

What does that mean?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Think he means the 90% of locals who weren't interested, as I recall.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I think he's referring to knowledge of the massacre, as in most of our supporters at the game were naturally celebrating the result into the wee small hours but didn't realise what had happened in Loughinisland until the next day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    I was referring to knowledge of the massacre. We were out most of the night and nobody in those days would have had a mobile phone.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast