Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Series 10

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Genuinely too difficult to tell from the footage because of the camera being so far away. They can zoom in only so many times before the quality of the footage is completely lost.
    It was very, very close though. The goalkeeper seemed to have his hands on the ball just as the forward put his foot in, but milliseconds would be the difference really as to whether he actually had control of the ball or not, as I believe the rule is that the goalkeeper has to have control of the ball with both his hands before it's deemed a foul.

Some referees will give it, and some won't. It's just one of those things in football that can go either way, and unfortunately for Cork, it went against them this time. I know, as a goalkeeper myself, were that given as a goal against me, I'd be absolutely livid.
    I agree that calls can go against teams. It happens. We have to get over it. However, I was right behind it and the keeper didn't lay a glove on the ball before it went in. Apparently, the keeper said it to Mark after the game too. But what can we do? It's the ref's call.
    [/B][I]P.Esc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Escobar View Post
    I agree that calls can go against teams. It happens. We have to get over it. However, I was right behind it and the keeper didn't lay a glove on the ball before it went in. Apparently, the keeper said it to Mark after the game too. But what can we do? It's the ref's call.
    It happened fairly quickly too. Within a second of Murphy touching the ball it was in the net. It probably was a wrong decision but it was clearly understandable that it was disallowed. Wouldn't be in the top 10 wrong decisions so far this season.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

3. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    It happened fairly quickly too. Within a second of Murphy touching the ball it was in the net. It probably was a wrong decision but it was clearly understandable that it was disallowed. Wouldn't be in the top 10 wrong decisions so far this season.
    Is there a scale of wrong? While I disagree with you, I definitely agree that there have been far far too many mistakes made by ref's this season, even when compared with previous seasons.
    [/B][I]P.Esc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Escobar View Post
    Is there a scale of wrong? While I disagree with you, I definitely agree that there have been far far too many mistakes made by ref's this season, even when compared with previous seasons.
    I have a scale of wrong yeah. I try and give refs the benefit of the doubt. In the Cork "goal" I could see why he would maybe disallow it. There are other decisions that are far easier to make, and I can't see how they can possibly get it wrong.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    I have a scale of wrong yeah. I try and give refs the benefit of the doubt. In the Cork "goal" I could see why he would maybe disallow it. There are other decisions that are far easier to make, and I can't see how they can possibly get it wrong.
    I'll re-iterate that I have not seen the footage, but on the night it was hard to see how he missed it. I can only presume that he actually didn't see it, perhaps he was blocked, and presumed that the keeper must have had his hands on the ball. When we were looking at it close-up it was blatantly obvious.
    [/B][I]P.Esc.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    Not based on soccer republic coverage last night
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Genuinely too difficult to tell from the footage because of the camera being so far away. They can zoom in only so many times before the quality of the footage is completely lost.
    It was very, very close though. The goalkeeper seemed to have his hands on the ball just as the forward put his foot in, but milliseconds would be the difference really as to whether he actually had control of the ball or not, as I believe the rule is that the goalkeeper has to have control of the ball with both his hands before it's deemed a foul.

Some referees will give it, and some won't. It's just one of those things in football that can go either way, and unfortunately for Cork, it went against them this time. I know, as a goalkeeper myself, were that given as a goal against me, I'd be absolutely livid.
    I haven't seen the show, but some of the comments here suggest that the RTE camera was too far away, there's also a series of photos taken alongside it that show clearly what happened. The Bohs players knew it was a goal, there were no complaints (even from their keeper...), and Heary said after the match that it was a goal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    The rule is that the ball is considered under control if between a hand and another surface eg ground, part of body, post. Its also considered under control during the process of kicking out of the hands and bouncing it - hence Best's famous one on that being disallowed. So as bizarre as it seems if the ball even for a millisecond was between hand and shin/leg it was under control and goal should have been disallowed. Now if the ref could tell at full pelt without the aid of frame by frame analysis i doubt it and it should have stood as there would have been no obvious reason to rule it out at the time.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    The rule is that the ball is considered under control if between a hand and another surface eg ground, part of body, post. Its also considered under control during the process of kicking out of the hands and bouncing it - hence Best's famous one on that being disallowed. So as bizarre as it seems if the ball even for a millisecond was between hand and shin/leg it was under control and goal should have been disallowed. Now if the ref could tell at full pelt without the aid of frame by frame analysis i doubt it and it should have stood as there would have been no obvious reason to rule it out at the time.
    The keeper dropped the ball and it was not under his control, by the time he realised where the ball was and attempted to grab it, it was poked cleanly into the back of the net.

10. Thanks From:

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    821 Posts
    Awful decision the keeper was moving his hands towards the ball but never got to it before the cork player out his boot on it. The reaction of the bohs keeper tells a lot too.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CityRebel View Post
    Us to suffer your backlash? We're the ones who've been robbed of two points last night while ye were gifted two against Athlone.
    Cork backlash to come next week?

Shed End.. **** off with your joe delaney stand
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Cork backlash to come next week?
    Probably more likely to happen against waterford Monday than pats Friday in truth.. before last night we have been very good so maybe just an off night and no reason to doubt our ability to get a result next week

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456