Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Cobh home Support

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Cobh home Support

An estimated attendance of about 150 at Cobh/Waterford last Saturday nite.

Did anyone see the article in the sun recently where the FAI defended claims that Cobh were unsubstainable?

Attendances like this certainly don't help quash those claims!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Surely there was more than 150 there though? That'll be the worst Cobh attendance since coming back last season. Certainly more sustainable than some of the clubs that's been there in recent years. Rubbish argument to say Cobh aren't sustainable.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    810 Posts
    I'm not saying they are unsustainable or anything like that just wondering where those claims in the paper actually came from. Surely a Munster derby should be attracting more than 150?
    BetweenTheStripes.net - Home of Between the Stripes LOI podcast.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Cobh have already been in the LOI for approx 20 years and have shown themselves to be a sustainable club.

Some of the attendances in the First Division are still very low, but it is an improvement on recent seasons.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts
    Would have thought around 250 myself, there was a decent crowd from waterford there but the reason why the crowds are down on last year is results pure and simple. Also the fact that the manager has to rely on the bulk of his Under 19 side fuels the speculation about the club not being there next season. If through injuries and work commitments you're not filling your bench then you can see why people will speculate.
    That said there seems to be a cohort of people within the town who are happy to knock the club at every opportunity. Why? God knows, except it must kill them to see the club limp along.
    Back to the crowds, I know that some of the players have visited the local scholls this week giving out passess etc so the club are to be commended on that.
    I would have thought that the current crowds are pretty much what any team struggling at the bottom of the first division could expect, if anything they're probably better.
    ''and I for one welcome our new insect overlords''

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    579 Posts
    As long as Cobh are living within their means, they'll survive. That might mean a Salthill-level of existence for the time being, which will obviously hold little appeal for a lot of potential supporters. But that's just the way it is.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Made my first journey to the holy ground in a few years last Friday night, very, very disappointing crowd, I know Rams usually play on a Saturday night but moving to the night before can't have that huge a difference ? Fine ground and good people working there behind the scenes. The team is very young and needs patience and support. The penalty and red for Deady seemed very harsh although Galway would prob have gone on to win anyway but not by 4 goals. Decent programme as well for €2. Hope that first win ain't too far away.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts
    Ya, very disappointing, I'm following the club years and it was the worst I've seen. For some reason Fridays are a disaster for a match night crowd wise in Cobh, don't know why.
    Combination of Friday, elections, team struggling all contributed to the poor crowd.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    What's the story with the clubhouse btw ? Curtains were drawn across the windows last Friday evening.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts
    Don't know, although I walked past just before kick off and the place seemed to be set up for a party, balloons etc on tables. I'd say the staff just forgot to open them.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    Chubbs and Jason Greene of avondale, Dave stack of midleton, davin o neill and Conor Meade along with Adam Thompson young right back from ramblers last year and ramblers legend John Meade all 100% confirmed signed for Cobh Wanderers.

Peter Nolan, pierce donnachie from midleton expected in the next few days. Eddie Nolan and Kyle downing of midleton have other offers in the prem I've heard so yet to be seen if they'll sign. Along with the better players that had to settle for junior ball last year and a few from Springfield I expect wanderers to mount a serious challenge for promotion to the 1st div and with the likes of chubbs do well in the cups. Dave curran and Shane geasely of Middleton have trained with rams recently so hopefully we might get a few more locals to add to our squad. Hope all the positive signs remain for cobh after silly season.

Why are all these local players signing for Cobh Wanderers and not Ramblers?
    Is the First Division not considered a higher profile?
    Is it all to do with the travel involved in the league now and the work commitiments?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nr637 View Post

Why are all these local players signing for Cobh Wanderers and not Ramblers?
    Is the First Division not considered a higher profile?
    Is it all to do with the travel involved in the league now and the work commitiments?
    Travel, i'd say, the fact that all 1st Div clubs with the exception of Longford play on a Friday night has a lot to do with it in terms of getting time off work.Of the players signing for Wanderers it would have to be the two Meades that I'd love to see back, I presume Davin has retired? Good luck to them for the season ahead.