Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Alan Browne (M Preston North End b.1995)

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Can anyone recall the last time a player transferred from the the Championship (or Football league) in Early 20s to have a good Premiership Career... I’m not talking a prodigious teen with half a season.. I mean someone with a couple/few seasons pedigree transferring up and being a success. (To be clear I’m not denigrating. I’m looking for a barometer to be hopeful)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Deli Alli?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    485 Posts
    Harry Maguire

Matt Ritchie

Jamie Vardy

Rickie Lambert

Stephen Ward

Jon Walters
    Last edited by backstothewall; 07/03/2018 at 10:19 PM.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Aaron Creswell (24)
    Nathaniel Clyne (21)
    Michael Antonio (25)

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Jeff Hendrick's career is actually a good comparison for Browne - broke through in his teens, played over 200 games for Derby and it was looking like his career might have plateaued before he got the move to Burnley aged 24. We really have to get Browne some games as he seems to be a potential like-for-like back-up for our injury-prone James McCarthy.

6. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Seventh goal of the season for Browne tonight as Preston kept their playoff hopes alive with a 3-1 win over Leeds: http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43624040

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Browne kept Preston's play-off hope alive with the only goal against Sheffield United today: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43846715 I think what's been really impressive about Browne is how he's managed to raise his game to a new level on several occasions in his career. I mean, he wasn't a wonderkid nursed to stardom by a Premier League club's academy - moving from a LOI youth set-up to one of the bigger League One clubs is a big step up, yet he established himself quickly in the first team. And when Preston got promoted, there were question marks about whether he could cut it in The Championship, but he moved his game onto another level and became a first-team mainstay. And after it seemed that he had plateaued a little last season and fans started to ask if he was a hardworking, but limited player, he upped his game again this season, scoring five goals since February and garnering praise from Preston fans for his improvement.

This career path really seems to have suited him. If he had gone to an English academy in his mid-teens, by now he might be getting cast off to try to start a senior career with possibly a handful of loan appearances under his belt; whereas his path has led to over 150 appearances. And remember, he only just turned 23, so hopefully there's even more improvement to come so that he can make the leap to Premier league and international level football.
    Last edited by samhaydenjr; 29/04/2018 at 5:13 AM.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    New contract for Browne at Preston: https://www.pnefc.net/news/2018/july...-end-contract/

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    just saw brownes effort today that smashed off underside of bar and came down inside the line but was ruled out cause the outside circumference of the ball was just touching the line. Never saw that before basically from the side view the whole ball was behind the line. The Gibson tackle to get sent off was around the lads knees!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Fourth of the season for Browne today: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/45885162#tab-0. I generally give credit to Martin O'Neill for how he has used the limited opportunities he has been afforded to give players a chance to impress (I believe he's given debuts to about 20 players and I know Browne was one of them). I don't like to jump on bandwagons that have been going about LOI players, underage stars and Matt Doherty. But I would question why he wasn't involved more so far in the Autumn internationals - he really seems to be a player on the up and it would surely be better for him to go into the main qualifiers next March with 7 or 8 appearances under his belt rather than 3 or 4

14. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Fifth of the season for Browne: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46244064

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    2 assists and MOTM too.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    He was poor against Turkey but received limited opportunities from MON. A real option for Mick.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Anther goal

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Ninth goal of the season for Browne yesterday - how often do Irish midfielders hit double figures in The Championship or above? He's got to play a significant part in the qualifiers.

20. Thanks From:

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    That's a gorgeous goal. Between the flick to bring it onto his left and the cool placing of the finish. He made a mug of his marker too with the subtle movement back.

I think MON wrong this lad and didn't give him many chances after a poor showing against Turkey. I think Mick would be mad not to see him as a huge asset. Surely PL bound too for next season.

23. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    That's a gorgeous goal. Between the flick to bring it onto his left and the cool placing of the finish. He made a mug of his marker too with the subtle movement back.

I think MON wrong this lad and didn't give him many chances after a poor showing against Turkey. I think Mick would be mad not to see him as a huge asset. Surely PL bound too for next season.
    To me the question is where in a midfield three or a diamond midfield should he play? Didn't seem comfortable anchoring in his games under Martin does he have the guile to be a ten type at international level or would his limited passing ability be found out. So does that leave him as an eight maybe similar to in my opinion the best position for the likes of hendrick, and hourihan

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    And make it eleven for Browne as Preston beat Bolton 2-1. Maguire played the full 90. Luca Connell started for bolton but was substituted after 23 minutes (never a good sign) https://www.pnefc.net/news/2019/febr...-match-report/

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast