Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Series 6

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    It was hardly reckless either. It was a contest for a ball that was there to be won.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Our Roddy? You actually want to be associated with that sort of bluff, bluster and character assassination?
    Ehhh no. He's the manager of my team so I'm stuck with him whether I like it or not (I don't). It was said in resignation rather than conciliation.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    It was hardly reckless either. It was a contest for a ball that was there to be won.
    I don't agree, I don't think he was getting there and what's more he has a full view of man and ball, whereas McBride can only really see the ball (since he's side on to Hoban). The Dundalk man has a fuller view, has time to make up his mind and charges in. He was late. He knocked the player out. That's reckless.

Challenges for the ball are well and good, but there's duty of care too. Plenty of people have done serious damage just by going for the ball. I take it case-by-case and, in this one, I think Hoban could've used better judgement.
    Last edited by SwanVsDalton; 10/04/2014 at 1:01 PM.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I take your point that McBride was unsighted but Hoban was fully entitled to believe he could win the ball, in which case he'd have been the one taking the impact of another player's head. It was an accident that could have been avoided, but you could only avoid it by not having players challenge for the ball.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A N Mouse View Post
    If we ignore Roddy, and take for granted that the clash of heads was accidental. It's still fair to ask should Hoban, who was already on a yellow card, have remained on the pitch?
    A very fair question indeed. My gripe isn't so much with whether or not he should have been booked or sent off, but with the reaction of some Derry fans over an accidental clash of heads.

On your question however, I think it would have been very harsh to award a yellow card to Hoban for challenging for a 50/50 ball, whether he, or McBride, were more sighted than the other. If the ball is there to be won, Hoban had every right to challenge for it.
    It's a very unfortunate clash of heads. If McBride had got up and hadn't been injured in the way he was, would there be as much uproar?
    Last edited by nigel-harps1954; 10/04/2014 at 5:18 PM.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    If McBride had got up and hadn't been injured in the way he was, would there be as much uproar?
    As White Horse and others have articulated already, it is Roddy's accusations which have created most of the uproar.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I don't believe it was a deliberate headbutt, or a "doing" ("done-ing"?) as Roddy might call it - Hoban was clearly left in pain himself by the clash - but I do see how it could have been deemed reckless, or careless at the very least, so as to warrant a booking. Hoban was the more excessive of the two in attacking the ball with velocity behind him, whilst McBride was protecting a defensive position. Importantly, McBride actually won the ball, clearing it in the process, whilst Hoban got McBride's head and McBride's head only. Just because a clash might be a contest with the ball there to be won doesn't mean a foul cannot be the end result. If the ball was on the ground and one player carelessly took out his opposite in a 50-50 without making contact with the ball, he'd expect a booking. The over-the-top accusatory reactions are out of order, mind, but hasn't Roddy always been a mouth whose opinions are best ignored? It's unfortunate some seem keen to imitate him.

Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    On your question however, I think it would have been very harsh to award a yellow card to Hoban for challenging for a 50/50 ball, whether he, or McBride, were more sighted than the other. If the ball is there to be won, Hoban had every right to challenge for it.
    Sure, but that right doesn't negate the possibility of him fouling McBride in the process of challenging for it. There is a right to challenge, but with that right also comes a duty of care.

It's a very unfortunate clash of heads. If McBride had got up and hadn't been injured in the way he was, would there be as much uproar?
    That's not what happened though. Would McBride have been injured the way he was had the clash not occurred in the manner it did? If McBride had been able to get up in the imagined scenario, it would have been because the challenge had been less careless and less excessive than the one that had actually occurred. McBride was injured due to the very nature of how Hoban attacked (and completely missed) the ball, so of course there wouldn't have been the same reaction had the imagined scenario arisen with McBride coming out unscathed as a result of a much less reckless clash.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    I take your point that McBride was unsighted but Hoban was fully entitled to believe he could win the ball, in which case he'd have been the one taking the impact of another player's head. It was an accident that could have been avoided, but you could only avoid it by not having players challenge for the ball.
    Just because he's entitled to go for it, doesn't mean he should particularly after sprinting to get up with a player who is already in the air (and well ahead of him) and so going in at high speed.

Hoban could've challenged for the ball, and pressed McBride, without charging in late. It shouldn't be reduced to a argument over whether players should challenge or not. All I'm saying is Hoban could, and should, have been more responsible.

I don't hold it against him - players do it all the time - but he should be called on it and I'd like to think he'll think harder next time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I'm sure he will be a bit more cautious in future but I think it was much more of a 50/50 than you think it was. It just looks worse because Hoban is attacking the ball and McBride is stretching.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    I'm sure he will be a bit more cautious in future but I think it was much more of a 50/50 than you think it was. It just looks worse because Hoban is attacking the ball and McBride is stretching.
    Went back for another watch to make sure, but I don't think McBride is stretching at all. My take is he's ran towards the ball, gotten underneath it and almost jumped from a standing start. Whereas Hoban is running in towards the ball. This gives him a chance - maybe he thinks with a running start he'll be able to outleap McBride - but really it was very unlikely he was going to beat him to the ball. Either way McBride's almost underneath when he jumps, and he simply puts his head out to make contact with the ball - don't see that as stretching, as if he has to strain to make it.

We'll have to agree to disagree, it's not a million miles off 50-50 to be fair but McBride's a definite favourite and with Hoban getting a run at the leap, and able to see the opposition player, he should've taken care to minimise the chances of a nasty aerial collision. He didn't and that's what happened imo.
    Last edited by SwanVsDalton; 10/04/2014 at 8:41 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    I think the ball took an awkward bounce. It looks to me like Hoban is about to win the header easily at first.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanVsDalton View Post
    Went back for another watch to make sure, but I don't think McBride is stretching at all. My take is he's ran towards the ball, gotten underneath it and almost jumped from a standing start. Whereas Hoban is running in towards the ball. This gives him a chance - maybe he thinks with a running start he'll be able to outleap McBride - but really it was very unlikely he was going to beat him to the ball. Either way McBride's almost underneath when he jumps, and he simply puts his head out to make contact with the ball - don't see that as stretching, as if he has to strain to make it.

We'll have to agree to disagree, it's not a million miles off 50-50 to be fair but McBride's a definite favourite and with Hoban getting a run at the leap, and able to see the opposition player, he should've taken care to minimise the chances of a nasty aerial collision. He didn't and that's what happened imo.
    Stretching is probably the wrong word, but he's putting in a defensive header with no run into the ball, whereas Hoban is attacking it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Hoban didn't set out to "do" him, but it was reckless and deserved a second yellow IMO. Just my two cents.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sullanefc View Post
    Hoban didn't set out to "do" him, but it was reckless and deserved a second yellow IMO. Just my two cents.
    Same here. If he was that late with a slide tackle he would have been booked. Don't see why it would be any different because he was going for a header.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    So, do we all agree that Roddy Collins was wrong to accuse Hoban of deliberately trying to cause injury to Ryan McBride?

Should Collins withdraw the accusation and apologise?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    365 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    Same here. If he was that late with a slide tackle he would have been booked. Don't see why it would be any different because he was going for a header.
    I cant believe we are still talking about this, it was very unfortunate what happened McBride, but anyone can see from the footage that it was two players attempting to win the ball, what happened was purely accidental.

Put it another way, if Hoban had been floored in the same challenge, would McBride have deserved a card ? No, as it would still be deemed accidental.

And yes Collins should retract his comments, but he probably wont. He made those to deflect from a very poor display where they were comprehensively beaten.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    So, do we all agree that Roddy Collins was wrong to accuse Hoban of deliberately trying to cause injury to Ryan McBride?

Yes, he should make a full public apology or be issued with a hefty fine and possible sideline ban. Don't think Derry should face any punishment as it seem its only Collins who believed it was intentional
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    No fan of Roddy, but that would be a very dangerous precedent!
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Why he has made a idiotic public comment accusing a player of intentionally going out to hurt another player, when the vast majority of people who have seen the incident say it was clearly un-intentional. Its a slanderous statement
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Why dangerous?

I presume that Neish meant he should be charged under FAI regulations and if found guilty issued with a fine.

In any cases Managers being charged as a consequence of their comments is not at all unusual. In this case his comments go beyond the normal "disparaging" rule term.

In any event it would be a positive move, as it could deter people who have little regard for normal laws of defamation.
    Last edited by Ezeikial; 11/04/2014 at 11:28 AM. Reason: grammer eh no grammar. eh spelling & stuff

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post

Roddy definitely could have used a less accusatory tone, but (and I can't believe I'm about to say this) the more I think about it the more I come round to his line of reasoning.

Hoban has charged into a player who's already in the air, and not won the ball. Even if he had won it it's probably a foul.

It's not a fifty fifty, I give you McBride is slight favourite and we'll call it reckless.

Depending on your view of it if we get much beyond 60/40 then (having done a few 180s after being barged with both feet less than a foot off the ground) we're getting into cowardly territory. Obviously Roddy strongly felt McBride was favourite.

Roddy's a muppet, we're all agreed. Now, can we get some kind of acknowledgement that perhaps Hoban was fortunate to stay on the pitch?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast