Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Series 6

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PartySaint View Post
    Better from Pats tonight, bar a dodgy 5 minutes after the Bray goal we dominated the play.

Forrester is such a joy to watch, wait until you see his pass for our second goal.

Fahey superb tonight as well playing deeper than he has been this season.

What's going on with Sligo?
    Not taking our chances

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post

Roddy Collins really is a cancer, Derry were bloody awful. At least until recently he was good for a soundbite and an undeniable character, but all he can do this season is try and strangle the opposition while giving out about the standard of football, pitches, etc etc.
    Roddy promised a war of attrition, which was thinly veiled code for setting up his team to play in a negative defensive manner.
    "But it's going to be a war of attrition for the first hour and the side who are conditioned properly and can sustain things after the war of attrition will, in my opinion, come out on top.
    http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sp...-30160200.html

Perhaps this was prophetic - Dundalks' fitness and conditioning has been superb this season and last (credit to Strength & Conditioning Coach Graham Byrne), with the opening goal scored on 63 minutes.

I really can't imagine Derry fans putting up with this negative style for long, especially when there is very little return.

"It's too early to look at the table. You look at the table with six games gone not now."
    http://extratime.ie/newsdesk/article...ing-first-win/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    I really can't imagine Derry fans putting up with this negative style for long, especially when there is very little return.
    I was talking to a few Derry fans after the game, and while dissappointed with the result, it was the performace and style of play that they found hard to take. I feel for them, Derry have brought a lot of quality to the league down the years, and they deserve better than the football their team served up last night.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    It is how quickly Derry have gone downhill thats shocking! I cant remember a poorer Derry side visiting Oriel, they had that clueless look about them that McCaffreys Dundalk sides had (albeit with more quality in the team that could dig them out of a hole). On the McBride injury, that was an awful 5 or 6 minutes where he looked in real trouble, as said the quick action of the ref and subsequently the physio and Dundalk club doctor was excellent. Ive no great confidence in volunteer first aiders but tbh they were just keeping out of the way while the Doc and physio got on with their job and were just there as stretcher bearers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    I hate to agree with Roddy Collins on any matter as I think he is the lowest form of pond scum but that Dundalk pitch looked horrible on Soccer Republic last night.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Happy enough with the point last night but it was completely overshadowed by an injury to one of our players, Austin McCann, who suffered a severe leg break after a horrendous challenge from Jeff Henderson. The sound of the leg breaking will live long in the memory, it was sickening. A scum tackle from Henderson who should be completely ashamed. Referee Padraigh Sutton should be equally ashamed as he felt the wreckless challenge only warranted a yellow card. Not a good night.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    I hate to agree with Roddy Collins on any matter as I think he is the lowest form of pond scum but that Dundalk pitch looked horrible on Soccer Republic last night.
    Agreed - the pitch should be much prettier. Maybe some ribbons and nice floral patterns around the edges would do the trick.

But do you agree with the Rodster when he says it is the worst pitch in the world, or is he understating it?
    "It's the worst pitch in the world, not even in Ireland, but the world, but we won't be even mentioning it because at the end of the day we are going to have to play on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Agreed - the pitch should be much prettier. Maybe some ribbons and nice floral patterns around the edges would do the trick.

But do you agree with the Rodster when he says it is the worst pitch in the world, or is he understating it?
    I didn't play on it. I don't know how bad it was, but from the 30 seconds or so on Soccer Republic it looked worse than the Brandywell when we played there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    It looked absolutely dreadful on the TV. It always does. Most negative views of the pitch arise due to how it looks on the box.

However, sitting in the stadium it looked fine. The ball ran perfectly and the new programme of maintenance has eliminated the occasional strange bounce.

I don't know why a pitch can look fine to the naked eye but terrible through a TV camera.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    Happy enough with the point last night but it was completely overshadowed by an injury to one of our players, Austin McCann, who suffered a severe leg break after a horrendous challenge from Jeff Henderson. The sound of the leg breaking will live long in the memory, it was sickening. A scum tackle from Henderson who should be completely ashamed. Referee Padraigh Sutton should be equally ashamed as he felt the wreckless challenge only warranted a yellow card. Not a good night.
    Very sorry to hear that, Ozzie is an old college pal - but i'm still bitter about the goal he created for Mons against us! If any Drogs are talking to him or know how he is pm me an update!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    I heard about this from a Sligo fan. My thoughts are with McCann.

The Sligo fan thought it should have been a straight red too.

Still a good point for Drogheda.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Well as Roddy is in good company up there with Pelligrini ..........

CSKA Moscow have answered criticism of their pitch by taking the only logical way out – painting it green.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/oct/23/cska-moscow-spray-pitch-manchester-city

No such problems accross the city at the Luzhniki, wonder why?
    Last edited by Nesta99; 08/04/2014 at 10:31 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Dundalk pitch always looks a lot worse on TV than at the game or on the pitch. Maybe it's the high angle the camera is at, I dunno. It plays very well, it's consistent and bounces are no less predictable than an average to good grass pitch. A problem for the likes of Collins is that it favours a team that wants to play football... and I should say for a number of years this worked against Dundalk!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Deflecting attention away from a dire performance by creating a new controversy is not exactly a new tactic, but Roddy takes post-match defection to a new low by trying to label Pat Hoban as a coward for his part in the clearly accidental clash of heads with Ryan McBride

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/irish...lowing-injury/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    Dundalk pitch....It plays very well, it's consistent and bounces are no less predictable than an average to good grass pitch.
    There was a werid bounce off it in the second half. Ball was coming towards the away terrace section, bounced, then travelled back on itself. I think your point that it's the same on grass sometimes, but there are some issues with spot on the pitch.
    Have you ever won the treble?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    Ball was coming towards the away terrace section, bounced, then travelled back on itself.
    Is it not called backspin?

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Is it not called backspin?
    Wasn't backspin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    Wasn't backspin.
    Shall take your word for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    First-off, hope McBride is okay. Disgraceful from Collins - but that doesn't come as a surprise. Credit to Dundalk 14 (Massey?) - while players from both sides made their case for level of punishment for Hoban, he was the only one to make a bee-line for McBride to try and help. A few players stood looking at McBride, but Massey tried to actually do something. Not criticising anyone, there would (I imagine) be an element of shock involved, just wanted to single out Massey for praise

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    328 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    I'd heard it was a beaut but when I saw it on Soccer Republic I was like "Sign him up!"

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast