Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Girls in Green

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    587 Posts
    Almost for the hell of it (politically incorrect and all that ) ...Does womens football generate a lot of money itself........ ?

Okay the women should be getting the same at least as any country with similar resources for women's football but there has to be some calculations to how much finance women's football can produce in lets say the next 10 years .

Forgive my foolishness in taking this tour on this issue..........

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Almost for the hell of it (politically incorrect and all that ) ...Does womens football generate a lot of money itself........ ?

Okay the women should be getting the same at least as any country with similar resources for women's football but there has to be some calculations to how much finance women's football can produce in lets say the next 10 years .

It's not foolish to ask the question. Equality of access to the sport of football is not a finance issue, it's a gender equality issue.
    Female children/youths should have equal opportunity to access the sport, equal opportunity to develop their football skills as the males have and their teams receive same funding as the male counterparts. That means clubs provide same quality of facilities and coaching to females as males. The reason why the Scandi countries are strong in women's football is this gender equality of opportunity in sport is mandatory since early 1970s. While the Norway and Sweden men's teams have won zilch, their women's teams have won everything at least once. Women occupy places on the various leading Scandi FA committees, they hold positions as high as vice presidents and general managers.
    The professional game is another matter and of course the economies of scales there depend on non gender related factors and equality there is not on the agenda. But once you accept the gender equality of opportunity argument, then it's beyond debate that the Irish ladies be treated with the same respect as the males, re coaching, facilities, gear and financial remuneration re match fee..

In Norway the male handball team is in the top 4 in Europe but it's the women's team that's the more successful and the more popular.
    A little known fact in the history of football is that in 1920 the English FA banned women's football teams from using their pitches (a ban that lasted until 1970), because its popularity threatened the male game.

Last edited by geysir; 05/04/2017 at 9:30 PM.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    493 Posts
    I guess the question is should income received from ticket sales and TV rights for the IMNT team be used to subsidise the IWNT?

The answer is yes.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    It's definitely not just a FAI thing, eg. Uefa should also provide finance in order that the qualified women's teams can prepare on an equal basis against each other at the euro finals. The money provided to each association is pathetic.
    I think there's a woman somewhere on the Uefa executive committee, it's mandatory that there's one woman among a committee of 16.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    493 Posts
    I'd be interested in knowing what percentage of taxpayer funded support for sport ends up going to womens sport. Well under 50% i'd imagine
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    611 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post

OK, so a couple of points on that:

- Firstly, the combined home attendance for the team's Euro 2017 qualifying campaign was 7450. Now this may not sound like much compared to what the men's team generate, but if we assume that tickets were ten euros each, then gate receipts would have been 74500 euros, which would have been more than enough to cover the direct financial demands being made by the team, which would have been 2850 Euros per player for that campaign. And this was in spite of a major drop-off in attendance for the last two qualifiers - the first two had attendances of close to 3000, a significant improvement over the previous World Cup games, which included a visit from the powerhouse German team. If the team becomes more competitive and they are marketed properly, there's no reason why they can't get average attendances of 4-6000 in the immediate future. And of course even if the team generated no revenue, the financial demands pale in comparison to John Delaney's salary.

- Secondly, one of the problems that affects women's football is also a reason to get fully behind the team: while people do turn out in numbers for women's football, it does still tend to be on an "event junkie" manner - the last two Women's World Cups had average attendances of about 26000, but qualifiers often attract crowds in the hundreds. As a result there is significant prize money available to teams who qualify - $300,000 for group participants in 2015. So it is surely worth the while of the FAI to do what they can to help the team bridge the gap from their current position, a few points from playoff status, to genuine contenders for qualification

- And finally, and perhaps most importantly, it is vitally important for young girls in the game to have a stable future within football that they can aspire to. One of the saddest aspects about this dispute is that talented young players feel they have to drop out of the game to focus on their jobs and careers. And we have the potential to have a strong senior team in a few years, if we look at the U-17s, who have qualified for two of the last four European Championships and been one place away from qualification in the other two

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    A deal has been reached between the FAI and the players after negotiations continued through 'til 3AM last night: http://www.thejournal.ie/womens-team...26416-Apr2017/

Quote Originally Posted by Órla Ryan
    In an early morning video statement, the PFAI said it was “pleased to announce, following lengthy negotiations through the night, a comprehensive agreement has been reached which addresses all of the issues raised by the Republic of Ireland women’s national team”.

The association also thanked trade union Siptu and members of the public for supporting “these inspirational women”.
    Here's the latest FAI statement confirming successful resolution: http://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/state...n-of-ireland-0

Quote Originally Posted by FAI
    Discussions between both sides came to a successful conclusion earlier this morning, where all ‘Issues to be addressed’, as outlined by the Players, were successfully resolved.

Following the positive outcome to the mediation process the players confirmed that they will return to training today, in preparation for their international fixture against Slovakia on Monday at Tallaght Stadium.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    380 Posts
    Good. But this quick resolution just raises more questions about the support structure the FAI offers to all the international teams it fields, beyond the men's senior team.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    McClean backs the ladies. - http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/s...en-447098.html

Quote Originally Posted by James McClean
    I think personally this treatment is wrong…not outrageous demands…it’s standard and bare minimum of what should be included anyway at international level. Playing for your country is the pinnacle in football terms, you shouldn’t be made to feel like this…

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    - Secondly, one of the problems that affects women's football is also a reason to get fully behind the team: while people do turn out in numbers for women's football, it does still tend to be on an "event junkie" manner - the last two Women's World Cups had average attendances of about 26000, but qualifiers often attract crowds in the hundreds. As a result there is significant prize money available to teams who qualify - $300,000 for group participants in 2015. So it is surely worth the while of the FAI to do what they can to help the team bridge the gap from their current position, a few points from playoff status, to genuine contenders for qualification
    That was a good post Sam, however this Eur300,000 from Uefa for qualified team at the Euro 2017 Finals, albeit a significant rise from previous, is still pathetically small, not an incentive.
    Broken down, for 23 players, for say 30 days in total for preparation and group stage participation, it amounts to Eur435 each player.
    That Eur435 for each player, is to cover all costs to do with the extra activity that an intl. team has to do in order to do participate at the Finals; playing friendlies, training, traveling, hotels, costs of non playing staff - the kit girl, doctor, physios, assistant coaches.
    The Eur 300,000 does not even come close to covering the lost income that the squad incur during all that preparation.

l The FAI are responsible for Irish football at all levels and with special regard for all representative teams, male/female, senior/underage. One of those representative teams should not have to justify why it deserves basic financial support in order to compete.

15. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    It's definitely not just a FAI thing, eg. Uefa should also provide finance in order that the qualified women's teams can prepare on an equal basis against each other at the euro finals. The money provided to each association is pathetic.
    I think there's a woman somewhere on the Uefa executive committee, it's mandatory that there's one woman among a committee of 16.
    That's all well and good, but if there isn't the same level of money generated from the mens game then there wouldn't be anything available for either men or women. If money was evenly spread as per capita or head(based on pariticpation) rather than which generates more than that might be a fairer reflection. Its all about economies of scale at the end of the day, and until its supported in the same way then I am not sure what the argument is here. The support should be matched by the financial input and vice-versa. Just because women play football or men do gymnastic, diving etc doesn't mean they should all be financed equally.

If the Internet was a football stadium, there'd be thousands down supporting the Irish womens team.

Hopefully now its sorted out they will be able play to a better level now too.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    918 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Hopefully now its sorted out they will be able play to a better level now too.
    Like you say, sorted now and they can hopefully refocus on that glass ceiling, I hear tis a b*stard of a thing to keep clean too.

18. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    611 Posts
    That was a good post Sam, however this Eur300,000 from Uefa for qualified team at the Euro 2017 Finals, albeit a significant rise from previous, is still pathetically small, not an incentive.
    Broken down, for 23 players, for say 30 days in total for preparation and group stage participation, it amounts to Eur435 each player.
    That Eur435 for each player, is to cover all costs to do with the extra activity that an intl. team has to do in order to do participate at the Finals; playing friendlies, training, traveling, hotels, costs of non playing staff - the kit girl, doctor, physios, assistant coaches.
    The Eur 300,000 does not even come close to covering the lost income that the squad incur during all that preparation.

l The FAI are responsible for Irish football at all levels and with special regard for all representative teams, male/female, senior/underage. One of those representative teams should not have to justify why it deserves basic financial support in order to compete.
    Sorry, didn't mean to imply that $300000 is a vast windfall that would make the players rich or that it was a fair amount. I was just noting that if the FAI were willing to invest even a modest amount extra to improve the women's national team, it could more than pay for itself with the prize money available for qualification. It would also raise the profile of the game and hopefully translate to bigger attendances in the future and greater revenue. Maybe the best comparison would be the success of Cricket Ireland in raising the profile of their sport since 2007 and there's surely no reason why the Women's National Team can't aspire to this level of success. But of course this is the FAI we're talking about...
    Last edited by samhaydenjr; 08/04/2017 at 1:20 AM.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    1k people wasnt a bad turnout for an afternoon.

Still if half the people that came out on the internet in a "show of strenght, unity and support" went to tallaght they would have sold out no problem.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    It's really tiring to have to click on these links now to read what's what.
    Probably that's the biggest ever report on a women's international game and it was just a friendly.

There's a big gap in senior women's international football, between the table topping teams and the rest
    Only one team from outside the top 16 seeded teams managed to qualify (via the one play-off) for the newly extended 2017 Euros, that was Portugal who the GiG beat in Portugal.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,747 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    1k people wasnt a bad turnout for an afternoon.

Still if half the people that came out on the internet in a "show of strenght, unity and support" went to tallaght they would have sold out no problem.
    That's true (obviously) but are you saying these people should have gone? Showing support for their stance by clicking an icon on a smartphone is a lot easier than traveling to Tallaght on a work afternoon. I don't really see the link between expressing support for a political stance and a need to back it up by some firm action. And, as you say, 1k is a decent crowd anyway.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    Undoubtedly the afternoon kick-off time was a repelling blow, preventing a larger support from attending. The early time might have had something to do with convenience (travel / social) for the players.
    The next women's intl game at Tallaght is v Iceland @ 7.30pm in early June. The euros bound Vikingettes will be odds-on favourites to complete the duo gender hammer blow at senior level.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    News reports here say the Iceland ladies are in Dublin to play the Irish ladies in Tallaght this evening.
    The last time they played each other was in the 2nd leg of the 2008 Euro qualifier play-off way back at the end of Oct 2008. It's fondly remembered here as the "klakka leikarinn" the ice game, as it was played on a dreadful rock hard pitch in freezing temperatures.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    News reports here say the Iceland ladies are in Dublin to play the Irish ladies in Tallaght this evening.
    The last time they played each other was in the 2nd leg of the 2008 Euro qualifier play-off way back at the end of Oct 2008. It's fondly remembered here as the "klakka leikarinn" the ice game, as it was played on a dreadful rock hard pitch in freezing temperatures.
    I have noticed Littlejohn, Russell, Fiona OSullivan and De Burca haven't been called lately, are they retired or have they left the squad?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345