Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: LOI - Week 5

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    The league is full of 36 pass moves finished by a cushioned volley.

Then again, last seasons winner was an average goal.
    It was a good goal but how many of those passes were incisive, two, including the cross?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    328 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    It was a good goal but how many of those passes were incisive, two, including the cross?
    Not sure how important the number of passes that were incisive. If you retain the ball, the opposition can't hurt you. Dundalk were patient and waited for the moment for the space to open. What's impressive about the passage of play is that after holding on to the ball, they scored.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    Not sure how important the number of passes that were incisive. If you retain the ball, the opposition can't hurt you. Dundalk were patient and waited for the moment for the space to open. What's impressive about the passage of play is that after holding on to the ball, they scored.
    They retained the ball because Pats weren't pressing up the pitch. All they did was bounce it around the back four under no pressure with the occasional 1-2 into midfield and back to the defence. Bray could do that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    They retained the ball because Pats weren't pressing up the pitch. All they did was bounce it around the back four under no pressure with the occasional 1-2 into midfield and back to the defence. Bray could do that.
    Come on Charlie, this was a goal where every outfield player touched the ball, it ran to 36 passes and we were playing the champions at home, not Bray......the game may have been over then, but it should still be considered a very good goal.

What's more important was our second half display and another brilliant goal earlier by Horgan when it was 1-1. This was a superb display overall, but we need to back it up with a win over Derry.

I also agree with another Dlk fan above, Pats will come good, Buckley is well capable of sorting things out.

Surprised not much talk on Sligo, that's a serious decline losing 4 in a row, are they a really that bad this season?
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Come on Charlie, this was a goal where every outfield player touched the ball, it ran to 36 passes and we were playing the champions at home, not Bray......the game may have been over then, but it should still be considered a very good goal.

What's more important was our second half display and another brilliant goal earlier by Horgan when it was 1-1. This was a superb display overall, but we need to back it up with a win over Derry.

I also agree with another Dlk fan above, Pats will come good, Buckley is well capable of sorting things out.

Surprised not much talk on Sligo, that's a serious decline losing 4 in a row, are they a really that bad this season?
    Don't mind Charlie. He spent last season telling us that Dundalk were no good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    I enjoyed the Sultans of Swing classic "Where's my jumper" on the tannoy last night.
    Yes, great sense of humour from Pats.

Very clever and witty.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by limunlim View Post
    It was my first time in the bowl. I don't understand why students aren't offered tickets for a fiver. If you did that and had a few reps on campus and some link up with a local bar for after, surely there would be a few hundred more every week
    Don't know about this year but the last two seasons they had a "Supporter's Club Membership Card" that would allow you to pay a fiver. Even though in theory they were sold (for some ridiculous amount like 10 quid), I got mine for free both years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    It was a very good goal, I just don't think it's really worthy of the hyperbole. For all the passes and whatnot, it was basically a three direct long passes that did it. And, like I said, Pats were just jogging around the centre of the pitch.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Poor enough result for Town tonight but overall I think we'll lose feck all games this season. Pat Sullivan (especially) and Pat Flynn are cruising through games as a centre back pairing. We've missed a lot of chances by snatching at them. Davy O'Sullivan is in a personal war with the crossbar. Long way to go and I've seen little to be worried about from the others so far.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    Poor enough result for Town tonight but overall I think we'll lose feck all games this season. Pat Sullivan (especially) and Pat Flynn are cruising through games as a centre back pairing. We've missed a lot of chances by snatching at them. Davy O'Sullivan is in a personal war with the crossbar. Long way to go and I've seen little to be worried about from the others so far.
    Just wait until they both get sent off.

11. Thanks From:

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Pat Sully has a couple of yellows to his name already but Flynn has been very well behaved. Honestly though they look like players that are well above First Division. Particularly Sullivan, playing at CB and walking it. We've let in one goal in 5 games altogether I think. Last year pretty much everybody scored against us.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    But they are both Premier Division players. Flynn is only playing for Longford because he has a job in Dublin (same reason he left Rovers) and Longford train here, and Sullivan I suspect has work too. Still, both headcases in the right circumstances.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Something a miss in Pats this year. They lost their talisman Conor Kenna to Rovers which has weakened their solid formation of 2013. Foran not the answer here. Quigley has joined their midfield and contributes very little workrate when the team is under pressure. Brennan also lacked the commitment it needs to battle and he becomes frustrated too easily. Cannot afford too many luxuries in a team. Dundalk on the other hand allow Towell to invent and Shields, Mounteney and O Donnell to graft and consolidate a good midfield backed up by Horgan who works and attacks at pace. Dundalk very impressive but Pats certainly lacking overall. Bring back Bisto!!!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    John Russell and Bisto Flood are a big loss to Pats. No one they have brought in can do the job they did last season. Hope Pats don't change their style of play too much, as they may come under pressure to go more direct as the season develops.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wonder88 View Post
    John Russell and Bisto Flood are a big loss to Pats. No one they have brought in can do the job they did last season. Hope Pats don't change their style of play too much, as they may come under pressure to go more direct as the season develops.
    Can't see Buckley doing that no.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldNassau View Post
    Something a miss in Pats this year. They lost their talisman Conor Kenna to Rovers which has weakened their solid formation of 2013. Foran not the answer here. Quigley has joined their midfield and contributes very little workrate when the team is under pressure. Brennan also lacked the commitment it needs to battle and he becomes frustrated too easily. Cannot afford too many luxuries in a team. Dundalk on the other hand allow Towell to invent and Shields, Mounteney and O Donnell to graft and consolidate a good midfield backed up by Horgan who works and attacks at pace. Dundalk very impressive but Pats certainly lacking overall. Bring back Bisto!!!!
    Dundalk seem to bring the worst out in Brennan, he was sent off in Oriel last season and put in a few challenges in the later game in Richmond which could have got him into trouble.

As a Pats fan as soon as we signed Brennan I knew he was going to pick up a few stupid red cards but the rest of the time he is superb so he more than makes up for it.
    Here on a technicality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Can you link me to a goal that has 36 incisive passes?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    328 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PartySaint View Post
    Dundalk seem to bring the worst out in Brennan, he was sent off in Oriel last season and put in a few challenges in the later game in Richmond which could have got him into trouble.

As a Pats fan as soon as we signed Brennan I knew he was going to pick up a few stupid red cards but the rest of the time he is superb so he more than makes up for it.
    That's Brennan alright. At Bohs he could be superb one week and ridculous the next. Certainly divided opinion during his time at Dalymount.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgonigle View Post
    Can you link me to a goal that has 36 incisive passes?
    No, but I can link you to some that have more than two. I'm sure you can find them by yourself though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    No, but I can link you to some that have more than two. I'm sure you can find them by yourself though.
    Charlie isn't too fond of this passing lark.

Big man up front, punt it up, and win the knock downs?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast