Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: United League

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LFC in Exile
    Let's get out own house in order before trying to build an extension.
    Do we need planning permission for that??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by $Leon$
    as dev said
    "No longer should should our children be brought up like our cattle for export"

The man was/is a contradictory artist. If that was his opinion then perhaps he should have done something about it rather than throw around soundbites. The f@cker.

As for as an All Island league (thats not a mis-spelling!) , I'm not sure that it would work. With the exception of COrk and perhaps Waterford the teams that would comprise any Premier Division would be based in Dublin and Belfast. The eircom League has an impressive look to it , with Derry City and Longford also there , but if you were to map out the locations of the teams in a combined league it would look pretty lopsided in my opinion.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom
    if you were to map out the locations of the teams in a combined league it would look pretty lopsided in my opinion.

whats to say that teams like derry and longford wouldn't make the top combined league? longford is a very rapidly growing town. alot of large companies are setting up there. combine this with their recent cup runs and whos to say there isn't a prem league title there in da next 5 or 6 years. the current el prem div comprises 10 teams. whos to say that a combined league couldn't comprise 20 teams? leaving plenty of room for these teams and in the future the realistic possibility that current 1st div el teams could push current irish league teams out of the top flight?
    "If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better." Johan Cruyff

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    I personally couldn't see a 20 team league. Its just not realistic in my opinion. Perhaps a 16 team league with 30 games a season would be a better option. At least then you'd have room for a combined cup and if necessary a cup for the Northies and a cup for the Republicans.

And as for Longford winning the Prem ???? COme off it man you're having a giggle. There's more chance of an airport being built in knock or a mad Irish priest attacking an athlete at the Olympics .

Oops , I'll get me coat....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    whos to say that a combined league couldn't comprise 20 teams? leaving plenty of room for these teams and in the future the realistic possibility that current 1st div el teams could push current irish league teams out of the top flight?
    Perhaps in a similar way in which Dublin city will be pushing themselves out of this years top flight non?

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    the current el prem div comprises 10 teams. whos to say that a combined league couldn't comprise 20 teams?
    I'd be against it if it was to be an 8 or 10 team league. Has to be 18-20 teams to have a chance, playing home and away once (not 3 or 4 times).

Standings as of now, an 18 team All Ireland League would be

Shelbourne
    Cork City
    Bohemians
    Drogheda United
    Waterford United
    Derry City
    Longford Town
    St Patricks Athletic
    Shamrock Rovers
    Portadown F.C.
    Linfield F.C.
    Glentoran F.C.
    Ballymena United
    Larne
    Coleraine F.C.
    Institute
    Limavady United
    Loughgall

Not that much of a Dublin/Belfast bias, certainly no more than would be expected given the populations...
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Ok take away Cork, Waterford , Longford and there still is a very unbalanced look to it. Its predominantly on the Eastern coast man!!1

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Ok take away Cork, Waterford , Longford and there still is a very unbalanced look to it. Its predominantly on the Eastern coast man!!1
    Yeah, but isn't the islands population?
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    But no different to the current EL.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Macy
    Shelbourne
    Cork City
    Bohemians
    Drogheda United
    Waterford United
    = Derry City =
    Longford Town
    St Patricks Athletic
    Shamrock Rovers
    Portadown F.C.
    Linfield F.C.
    Glentoran F.C.
    Ballymena United
    Larne
    = Coleraine F.C. =
    = Institute =
    = Limavady United =
    Loughgall

Not that much of a Dublin/Belfast bias, certainly no more than would be expected given the populations...
    Anyone else notice that there are four Co.Derry teams in that list, not so lopsided??

Personally, I think 16 teams would be best; 30 games each would leave room for a decent cup competition and a regionalised league cup (ie 8 x regional groups, then knockout). First Div would also be national, but 2nd Div could be regionalised (three or four).

We need to create some sort of Irish Soccer (or Football, whatever) Federation, as an overarching body because I'll be difficult to get rid of IFA and FAI in the short term. Sort of like the IRFU has four branches, only we'd have two (IFA and FAI).

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crc
    Anyone else notice that there are four Co.Derry teams in that list, not so lopsided??

Personally, I think 16 teams would be best; 30 games each would leave room for a decent cup competition and a regionalised league cup (ie 8 x regional groups, then knockout). First Div would also be national, but 2nd Div could be regionalised (three or four).

We need to create some sort of Irish Soccer (or Football, whatever) Federation, as an overarching body because I'll be difficult to get rid of IFA and FAI in the short term. Sort of like the IRFU has four branches, only we'd have two (IFA and FAI).
    Some very good points there.
    I dont think there is any problem with the Ulster team in Rugby, it would be along the same Lines as that.
    I agree with the 16 teams aswell (x2), i think thats leaving enough room for whatever sort of cup competitions get going aswell. The League can be expanded then if needed to make it bigger. its better that way than having a bigger league and reducing the amount of teams in it through relegation.
    Last edited by GK for the Town; 29/10/2004 at 3:19 PM.
    "it takes two to lie. One to lie and one to listen."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    My knowledge of the Irish league wouldn't be the best now to be fair. I'd know Linfield Cliftonville and that but as for the others it wouldn;'t be the best so if ye lads say that it is spread out then fair dues.
    There has to be some way of increasing the prfoile of the regional teams in whatever set up the irish teams end up in.
    By all rights Limerick and Galway should be there as for the size of those cities for them not to be challenging in the highest league in the country is terrible.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'm against the idea of an all-island league. A number of logistical reasons would prevent it from working. We have to ask ourselves the question: why were Derry City forced out of the Irish League originally? Security would be a major worry on a week to week basis.

It would appear that an all-Ireland league will only come with one organisation, one national team, etc. I think those north of the border would be steadfast in their opposition to such measures. I can't blame them because as time goes on I would expect numerous positions in both the organisation and the national team to be dominated by representatives from the Republic.

An issue that has yet to be mentioned is the fact that the island would lose 50% of its representation in Europe. Instead of having 8 clubs from the island in Europe, we would have only 4. This would put huge financial strains on those clubs wishing to pursue full-time football. So people can talk all they like about the commercial advantages of a united league, but realisticallly, things will change very little. Any extra support created by interest in the new league could be eradicated by the long distances which fans are expected to travel. As always, it will be the same group of hard-core fans who will end up making the long trips.

With the improving political climate in the North this may well be a viable option in 5 years time. I feel that the FAI and those involved in football in the Republic are more enthusiastic than those in the 6 counties.

From a personal point of view, I would be very much against the FAI and IFA joining. An all-Ireland national team may be forced to play every second home game in Belfast. This would mean that international matches are not accessible to the majority of fans in the Republic.

Lets keep things as they are.
    "Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe." Dillo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJamaicanP.M.
    From a personal point of view, I would be very much against the FAI and IFA joining. An all-Ireland national team may be forced to play every second home game in Belfast. This would mean that international matches are not accessible to the majority of fans in the Republic.

What a weak point. Even if they were forced to play every second home game in Belfast (and they wouldn't at least until there's a decent stadium), that's the situation that exists in many other countries (Germany, Italy, England until Wembly's finished, etc..).

As it stands an international game for people outside the pale means a trek to Dublin, and possibly an overnight stay (if its a game under lights). We should be embracing the principle of moving some (not all) games around the country (if and when there are grounds that could accomodate them).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    What a weak point. Even if they were forced to play every second home game in Belfast (and they wouldn't at least until there's a decent stadium), that's the situation that exists in many other countries (Germany, Italy, England until Wembly's finished, etc..).

As it stands an international game for people outside the pale means a trek to Dublin, and possibly an overnight stay (if its a game under lights). We should be embracing the principle of moving some (not all) games around the country (if and when there are grounds that could accomodate them).
    Its ok for the likes of Italy and Germany that have large stadiums all over the country. I've spent most my life in Longford and it never stopped me going to the international matches in Dublin. That is where the games should stay. I think a lot of our fans would be against moving games to Belfast in front of 12,00 people. Fair enough if it was Semple Stadium or Pairc Ui Caoimh. Its about letting as many fans see the games as possible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Its ok for the likes of Italy and Germany that have large stadiums all over the country. I've spent most my life in Longford and it never stopped me going to the international matches in Dublin. That is where the games should stay. I think a lot of our fans would be against moving games to Belfast in front of 12,00 people. Fair enough if it was Semple Stadium or Pairc Ui Caoimh. Its about letting as many fans see the games as possible.

Prime Minister, there's no way I'd agree with playing international matches in Munster venues. This would accomadate the l@ngers down south and God knows, who likes doing anything in their favour!
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillo
    Prime Minister, there's no way I'd agree with playing international matches in Munster venues. This would accomadate the l@ngers down south and God knows, who likes doing anything in their favour!
    Fair point Dillo. Was just using it as an example. I know its hypothetical, but maybe Pearse Stadium in Galway could be used instead. Not as many l@ngers in the West.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I've spent most my life in Longford and it never stopped me going to the international matches in Dublin.
    Longford is 75 miles from Dublin. There are places in the country a lot further away from Dublin than Longford.

moving games to Belfast in front of 12,00 people.
    read my post again and see the points made about stadiums

and they wouldn't at least until there's a decent stadium
    if and when there are grounds that could accomodate them

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I'm against the idea of an all-island league. A number of logistical reasons would prevent it from working. We have to ask ourselves the question: why were Derry City forced out of the Irish League originally? Security would be a major worry on a week to week basis.
    Security is no longer as big an issue as it was. Look at the friendlies set up between Linfield and Derry, look at the various friendlies that regularly occur between North-South teams. I'm not saying there's no chance of trouble, but with a proper security system and segregation, it shouldn't be a problem.

It would appear that an all-Ireland league will only come with one organisation, one national team, etc. I think those north of the border would be steadfast in their opposition to such measures. I can't blame them because as time goes on I would expect numerous positions in both the organisation and the national team to be dominated by representatives from the Republic.
    So, it might fail therefore we shouldn't bother trying? Is it so wrong that people from the republic would dominate, it does compromise 2/3 of the area and population of the island. It'ld be no different to people from Dublin sominating the current FAI.

An issue that has yet to be mentioned is the fact that the island would lose 50% of its representation in Europe. Instead of having 8 clubs from the island in Europe, we would have only 4. This would put huge financial strains on those clubs wishing to pursue full-time football. So people can talk all they like about the commercial advantages of a united league, but realisticallly, things will change very little. Any extra support created by interest in the new league could be eradicated by the long distances which fans are expected to travel. As always, it will be the same group of hard-core fans who will end up making the long trips.
    There would be a lot more interest in Linfield-Shels than Longford-Shels, meaning more Shels fans would come to the game, which would cancel out the reduction in fans travelling from Belfast, which probably wouldn't be significant anyway. I agree that the benefits might diminish as time goes by, but regular Belfast-Dublin, Belfast-Cork and Derry derbies would increase numbers significantly and when the fans see the great spectacle these games hold, they'll keep coming back. As well as that, sponsorship would be easier to get, just look at the Setanta Cup. I'm sure Setanta themselves would be interested in sponsoring and if they get behind it, RTE will follow fairly lively and hey presto-decent coverage, which would cancel the affect of a loss of European fixtures.

With the improving political climate in the North this may well be a viable option in 5 years time. I feel that the FAI and those involved in football in the Republic are more enthusiastic than those in the 6 counties.

As soon as a decent stadium is built in Belfast, it can easily be moved there. It isn't such a big deal to get to Belfast from the republic, if country folk can get to Dublin, I'm sure they can manage getting to Belfast.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I think it would be best to see how things go with the sentanta cup for a while first. It's a nice idea to have the all Island league but there is a lot of disadvantages

There is going to be a major problem in travelling for the smaller teams. For example are fans from belfast going to travel to cork to watch an away match for 2 or 4 games a year ? Would Cork City fans want to go to scummy Belfast ?

Will it be financially viable ? There is increased cost associated with all the travelling. And will the clubs benefit from it ? The standard of football up north is a lot lower (UEFA rankings) so there might not be a lot in it for the clubs in the south.

I think the crowd trouble is behind us now. A lot of the sectarian stuff is still there but things arent as high strung as before and I can't see there being a major riot and the matches, although I'm sure there will be some incidents.

the plural of um is a i.e stadium - stadia.

Cant wait till the sentanta cup starts and then the wipping can begin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast