Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018–19 UEFA Nations League

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Agreed Danny yeah,you could have the first 11 all clocking up treble figures in caps with peripheral players remaining on the bench.it does potentially give countries greater leverage to prise their players from club 'treatment tables' but by extension makes a decision to play international football an altogether more onerous undertaking. There really are so many implications to this development e.g.could you potentially have a country 'arrange' to be relegated to give themselves a better chance of at least a playoff in the next qualifiers?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    A whole year has flown past...

CFDH or RaM, Wanna make up the groups as they stand today?
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts

European Nations League

No thread on this already?

UEFA has confirmed the composition of the four leagues for the UEFA Nations League 2018-19.

The format of this new national team competition features promotion and relegation and sees the 55 European national teams divided into four leagues in accordance with UEFA’s national association coefficient rankings.

The UEFA Nations League will be played in four leagues A to D, with League A containing the 12 highest-ranked teams. League B contains the next 12 teams, League C the 15 following and League D the last 16 teams. The competition starts on 6 September 2018.

Each league will contain four groups of three or four teams. The league phase will be played over six matchdays from September to November 2018. The composition of the groups within each league will be decided by means of a draw, which will take place on Wednesday 24 January 2018 at the Swiss Tech Convention Center in Lausanne, Switzerland.

The promotions and relegations between the leagues (four teams move up, four teams move down) will take effect for the second edition of the UEFA Nations League in September 2020. From that moment on, the composition of the leagues will be exclusively determined by the rankings of the previous edition.

The four League A group winners will play the Finals in June 2019 to determine the first UEFA Nations League winner. The Finals consist of four matches – semi-finals, third-place match and final – to be played in one of the finalist countries.

The UEFA Nations League aims to ensure the continued success of national team football by replacing most friendlies with competitive matches and by allowing all nations to play against equally-ranked teams.
    http://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/media...d=2508466.html

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thischarmingman View Post
    No thread on this already?
    Just the two...

http://foot.ie/threads/188522-Nation...nations+league

http://foot.ie/threads/196422-UEFA-N...nations+league

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Thanks

Threads bumped and merged.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Given we're gonna be in groups of 3 will there be home and away fixtures?

Would love to get the IFA team and Denmark.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Given we're gonna be in groups of 3 will there be home and away fixtures?
    It says six matchdays, so I presume in a group of three that means you'll be active on four of those matchdays, playing your opponents home & away and having two free matchdays when they play each other. In the group(s) of four, the teams will just play every matchday you would think.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 11/10/2017 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Forgot about Euro 2020 qualification playoffs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    It says six matchdays, so I presume in a group of three that means you'll be active on four of those matchdays, playing your opponents home & away and having two free matchdays when they play each other. In the group(s) of four, the teams will just play every matchday you would think.
    Yeah, I went through it there afterwards. That's my reading too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    So these are the pots:

NATIONS LEAGUE SEEDINGS

League A
    Pot 1: Germany, Portugal, Belgium, Spain
    Pot 2: France, England, Switzerland, Italy
    Pot 3: Poland, Iceland, Croatia, Netherlands

League B

Pot 1: Austria, Wales, Russia, Slovakia
    Pot 2: Sweden, Ukraine, Republic of Ireland, Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Pot 3: Northern Ireland, Denmark, Czech Republic, Turkey.

League C

Pot 1: Hungary, Romania, Scotland, Slovenia
    Pot 2: Greece, Serbia, Albania, Norway
    Pot 3: Montenegro, Israel, Bulgaria, Finland
    Pot 4: Cyprus, Estonia, Lithuania

League D

Pot 1: Azerbaijan, FYR Macedonia, Belarus, Georgia
    Pot 2: Armenia, Latvia, Faroe Islands, Luxembourg
    Pot 3: Kazakhstan, Moldova, Liechtenstein, Malta
    Pot 4: Andorra, Kosovo, San Marino, Gibraltar
    I take it this means we'll be in with one of Austria, Wales, Russia & Slovakia and one of NI, Czech Rep, Denmark & Turkey?

Probably prefer to avoid Russia & Denmark I think.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Russia's lost quasi-competitive games in the Confed Cup didn't make them look any great shakes really, but any of the Pot 1 teams should realistically account for us if they play to their best.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Agreed, we'd have no chance against the likes of Wales.

15. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Or Austria

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I'd be happy out with Wales again actually. On recent evidence there's probably a 90% chance Bale will miss at least one of the two matches, and they might have Robbie Savage or somebody managing them by then.

Wales & NI my preferred two in terms of winning the group.

Russia & Turkey in terms of countries I've never been, the only two actually from those possibilities.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Draw for this is on Wednesday week. Think it's on Sky. Didn't catch the time, but presume around lunchtime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    They'll also be unveiling the trophy. Hopefully it's not gack like a lot of the recent UEFA attempts.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Need something to look forward to. I know these games are not friendlies and should be seen as competitive. Nonetheless the fact we are over a year from Euro qualifiers is not good and should’ve been avoided

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    http://www.footballseeding.com/tourn...gue-2018-2019/

Just reading up on this again this morning and a few reasons ( new to me ) why this tournament is worthwhile.

1. Group winners are guaranteed a play-off for Euro 2020 no matter what happens in the Qualification Tournament.(Probably knew that already but not a bad reason to give it full throttle)

2. If you don't win the group placing becomes important - as group winners and runners-up go into POT 2 for the Euro 2020 qualification Draw. Placing 3rd puts you in POT 3. For a country like ours that is important IMO - especially when its top 2 to qualify only.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    http://www.footballseeding.com/tourn...gue-2018-2019/

Just reading up on this again this morning and a few reasons ( new to me ) why this tournament is worthwhile.

1. Group winners are guaranteed a play-off for Euro 2020 no matter what happens in the Qualification Tournament.(Probably knew that already but not a bad reason to give it full throttle)

2. If you don't win the group placing becomes important - as group winners and runners-up go into POT 2 for the Euro 2020 qualification Draw. Placing 3rd puts you in POT 3. For a country like ours that is important IMO - especially when its top 2 to qualify only.
    The Nations League is very important. Yet every news outlet seems to be dismissive of it. I don't think everyone understands the concept.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

24. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    That article from Football Seeding explains it all very succinctly. It could rightly be made the default explanation page.

I was wondering what would happen if there was only one team from League A that didn't qualify via the conventional route ("the classic qualifiers"), would they grab the guaranteed one spot for that league? Or if there were two teams left, would there be just the one play off? If you don't know then try and figure out what would or could happen in that circumstance before reading the answer in the article.

Other than that I see there's a long gap between the end of the "classic qualifiers" in November and the play offs in March the next year.I suppose the format of the play offs lends itself better to being played later, in a proper international "window".

One thing that should be changed imo is that a yellow card shouldn't carry through to the play offs from the qualifiers. In our recent play off, both teams had a cluster of players on a yellow and the ref was applauded for being "sensible" in not penalising players in the first leg. This was a ref (the bane of Slovakia in Hampden pk) who has a reputation of not being shy to discipline with cards. In our first leg he changed the 'strict to the letter' way he normally officiates to one of leniency. I don't think the yellow card count should have been brought into the refereeing equation. Maybe a ref can be flexible with one or two players already on a card but afair there were about 15 players on a yellow. Just take the yellow cards out and let the refs act as normal as possible.
    Last edited by geysir; 16/01/2018 at 2:01 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    I was wondering what would happen if there was only one team from League A that didn't qualify via the conventional route ("the classic qualifiers"), would they grab the guaranteed one spot for that league?
    Four teams will qualify for the play-offs at all times, none of whom will have qualified for the Euros directly.

If there aren't four eligible teams from League A (entirely possible), then teams from League B will be bumped up. I think the first four eligible League B teams stay in the League B play-offs, and the next lot go to the League A play-off. So conceivably, we could get relegated from League B and still get a play-off against Holland and AN Other to reach the Euros.

(From UEFA's little cartoon thingy.)

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast