Thread: 2018–19 UEFA Nations League

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Your post was

I don't see how separating nations based on coefficients is doing anything to make international football more "inclusive"

At least in the club game there is a possibility of smaller clubs playing big clubs
    I don't think small nations are any less likely to play big nations than they were before. They still have the original qualifying for world cups and European championships to play the big teams.

Maybe not more inclusive, but no real change from before, except a chance for smaller teams to test themselves against teams of a similar level more often, and maybe win a few games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    At least in the club game there is a possibility of smaller clubs playing big clubs
    There will still be actual qualifying campaigns where small teams play big teams. Friendlies are generally organised between countries of relatively similar pedigree anyway. Take the latest round of Internationals involving UEFA sides:

Quote Originally Posted by International Friendlies, March 2014
    Russia 2-0 Armenia, Georgia 2-0 Liechtenstein, Kosovo 0-0 Haiti, Azerbaijan 1-0 Philippines, Lithuania 1-1 Kazakhstan, Bulgaria 2-1 Belarus, Algeria 2-0 Slovenia, Albania 2-0 Malta, Greece 0-2 South Korea, Hungary 1-2 Finland, Montenegro 1-0 Ghana, Bosnia-Herzegovina 0-2 Egypt, Czech Republic 2-2 Norway, Israel 1-3 Slovakia, Andorra 0-3 Moldova, Cyprus 0-0 N.Ireland, FYR Macedonia 2-1 Latvia, Luxembourg 0-0 Cape Verde, Turkey 2-1 Sweden, Romania 0-0 Argentina, Ukraine 2-0 USA, Gibraltar 0-2 Estonia, Austria 1-1 Uruguay, Switzerland 2-2 Croatia, Belgium 2-2 Ivory Coast, Germany 1-0 Chile, Ireland 1-2 Serbia, Poland 0-1 Scotland, Wales 3-1 Iceland, England 1-0 Denmark, France 2-0 Netherlands, Portugal 5-1 Cameroon, Spain 1-0 Italy
    Obviously there would be less intercontinental games but fixtures similar to these would be likely to take place in the new tiered format, bar maybe Russia v Armenia.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Your post was

I don't see how separating nations based on coefficients is doing anything to make international football more "inclusive"

I think it's inclusive because it gives lesser nations a chance to win something or to compete meaningfully for something. Previously that was the (almost) exclusive privilege of the bigger / better countries.

The traditional qualifiers will still exist to pitch big against small.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 27/03/2014 at 2:03 PM.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    This new tournmament isn't more inclusive of lesser nations. It's a way for big teams to play more games against big teams. Nothing more
    You have hit the nail clean on the head there. It's pretty much a "pot" lock-in, big teams will only play big teams, middle teams will only play middle teams and lesser nations will only play against lesser nations. Spain, Italy, Holland, Germany will be playing each other time after time. Some teams (perhaps Portugal, Croatia, Russia) will fritter around pots 1 and 2, we will probably be a pot 3 team with a chance of going up to pot 2 occasionally. We will play the same pot three teams time after time. I don't see how playing say Norway, Poland and Israel year after year is either going to help the team develop or generate additional interest in the national team.

By doing away with a significant number of friendlies they are taking away the chance for managers to expose their teams to different styles of football. If we got to another Euros or a World Cup, we mightnt have a chance to play say a pressing short-passing team until we were at the tournament, we could end up even more exposed than we were in Euro 2012. I would imagine there might be a lot of lot of heads of associations worried about filling their new national stadiums if this does happen. Yeah the games are, in theory, more meaningfull than friendlies, but I'm not sure it would be easier to convince thousands to fill the Aviva for a "top of pot three" clash between Ireland and Serbia than it would be to convince them to attend a friendly with Argentina, and what happens to national teams in the lower pots who blow it at the start and end up mid table (or mid pot might be a better term). If a team like Scotland are indifferent in the first 3/4 games are fans going to turn up for the dead rubbers against Azerbaijan, Finland and Belarus? Not likely in my opinion, whereas they could arrange a friendly against say Australia, Japan or even us and at least have more chance of filling the stadium.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    There's no guarantee we'd play the same teams over and over. The talk is that each division will have 16 teams, but broken into 4 groups of 4, I think with H & A fixtures. So even if we're in the same division as the previous campaign it'd be unlikely (I'm assuming) we'd draw the same group of teams.

We'll still have two friendlies p.a. plus two "usual" qualification campaigns.

At the margins there might be a loss of the occasional glamour friendly but I think the most likely scenario is that the same standard of teams we play in friendlies will be played in a league format.

Why would there be dead rubbers if there is a threat of relegation?

I think it's a good idea in principle but obviously it depends on the detail.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    I'd still want to see the full details before rushing to judgement. On the face of it, the plan sounds exciting - new. I would worry about how it would be once the novelty wore off, however. Sounds a bit like a lot of the same teams would be playing each other in 2028 as they are in 2018. By that stage, there would be five final stages completed - will be interesting to see how they work and build the competitive aspect in mitigation of similar fixtures.

Only other worry would be like Edmundo above. With every game more meaningful, would emerging players still get a chance? Granted there would still be the odd actual friendly, but I'd hope managers don't feel pressured into playing safe.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Yeah, it would be terrible to play Poland over and over and over.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I think it's inclusive because it gives lesser nations a chance to win something or to compete meaningfully for something. Previously that was the (almost) exclusive privilege of the bigger / better countries.
    I still don't see how this can be "inclusive".

Winning the League of nations Division 3 may be fine for the countries involved but no one else will care about it
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    There's no guarantee we'd play the same teams over and over. The talk is that each division will have 16 teams, but broken into 4 groups of 4, I think with H & A fixtures. So even if we're in the same division as the previous campaign it'd be unlikely (I'm assuming) we'd draw the same group of teams.
    You're a man of maths, so I am quite interested in seeing how 54* UEFA Nations go into divisions of 16. Maybe they do some sort of pre-qualification knockout eliminating 6 teams, but then what happens to these six while the "League of nations" continues ? I've heard that they might invite teams from other confederations to join - in theory if you got 10 guests you would have 64 which fits 4 16 teams divisions better. But which teams do you pick, what pot do they go in and would that not mess up other associations competitions (eg Copa America or CONMEBOL WC Qualification, or the ACN)? I'm not sure Platini will want to go down this route given he has been so vocally against things like Mexico being in the Copa America and an NZ team playing in the A-League (not that either are any of his business), but then again another volte-face by Platini wouldnt be surprising.

*assuming this thing gets off the group before Kosovo etc

We'll still have two friendlies p.a. plus two "usual" qualification campaigns.
    Yes but, assuming we arent in pot 1, those will almost certainly have to be revenue generating matches for the FAI as I just cannot see the "league of nation" games selling well. Those 2 games will not be chances for the manager to test fringe players, try new formations or expose the team to different styles.

At the margins there might be a loss of the occasional glamour friendly but I think the most likely scenario is that the same standard of teams we play in friendlies will be played in a league format
    I'm not sure we will see friendlies against Chile, Uruguay, Argentina, Paraguay and Brazil again - we've played all those teams in the last 7-8 years. I'm not sure we'll play teams either of that standard or of those styles again.

Why would there be dead rubbers if there is a threat of relegation?

It depends on how big the groups are, but if the groups are of of 5/6 (which is the current UEFA group format) then surely there will be some mid-table teams who, after a few games, will be certain of not being able to finish first or last. It seems unlikely that such leagues will go down to the wire and everyone will have everything to play for on the 8th (or 10th) matchday.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    The divisions are too big!

For once I partially agree with GR, aka. D.Gardner on here...
    http://www.wsc.co.uk/forum-index/27-...nations-league

Another view.
    http://thescore.thejournal.ie/uefa-n...facebook_short
    Last edited by ArdeeBhoy; 27/03/2014 at 3:21 PM.

13. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Re-read proposed format for about the 4th time. Apparently there are smaller sub-groups of c.4 teams. Hurrah!

Well, for some potential common sense.
    Not sure winners of the lowest league should get a Finals invite. Especially when they're liable to do badly when they get there?

And most Eng.views I've read are broadly cynical and even more against UEFA than me!

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Yeah, it would be terrible to play Poland over and over and over.
    It would but there is a chance something similar will happen in our 2 friendlies a year. A major reason why we played Poland is we had reciprocal friendlies with them (in Dublin in Feb 2013, in Pozan a few months ago), just like we did in the mid 2000s (away in Bygodzczc then home in Dublin) like we did with Serbia (in Belgrade after the Euros, in Dublin a few weeks ago) and like we will probably have with England. The other reason is, with the number of Poles in the region, there was always going to be a high demand for the away tickets at the Aviva. The two friendlies will have to be cash cows for the FAI and will probably end up being in home/away pairs. The number of teams that will generate away demand at the Aviva are limited (England, Poland, Scotland) so expect to see those teams often instead of a broader range of teams with different technical styles (maybe Ukraine, Russia, Montenegro) as these will be harder to shift tickets for and the FAI will need the money.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Good point about not choosing the opposition.

No disrespect to Polska, but bar WC & Euro's a friendly/NL game every 5 years is more than enough.

To that extent, the FAI should stay away from arranging fixtures wherever possible...

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Are we not a bit of an extreme case? We get these 'glamour' games because of our diaspora more than anything else. It's a long time since we've brought a top team to Lansdowne for a friendly but I reckon we'll always have the opportunity to play these types of games in the States or wherever.
    I'm not sure that is true. Look at it the other way, who have some of the big teams played in the last 2 years in friendlies?

Spain:
    Chile, South Africa, Eq. Guinea, Uruguay, Ireland, Haiti, Costa Rica, China, Korea and Ireland

Germany:
    Italy*, England*, Paraguay, USA, Ecuador, France*, Holland*, Argentina, Israel*,

Italy:
    USA, England*, France*, Holland*, Brazil, San Marino, Haiti, Argentina, Germany*, Nigeria

France:
    Iceland, Serbia, Estonia, Uruguay, Japan, Italy*, Germany*, Brazil, Belgium*, Australia

Holland:
    Bulgaria, Slovakia, Northern Ireland, Belgium*, Germany*, Italy*, Indonesia, China, Portugal*, Japan, Colombia

Only those with a '*' are likely to happen under the "League of Nations" mandate, so even amongst the big teams there will be a significant narrowing in terms of likely opposition.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    But we will also play one of these big teams twice each in qualifying for WCQ and ECQ. Have we forgotten about that?
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    I still don't see how this can be "inclusive".

Winning the League of nations Division 3 may be fine for the countries involved but no one else will care about it
    We'll have to agree to differ, so. Nobody outside Ireland gives a hoot about the LOI but it's still great if your team wins it. It doesn't mean there shouldn't be a LOI. But as things stand very few teams in European international football have anything meaningful to play for. That's why I think it's inclusive. The status quo is exclusive.

And Edmundo, no need to be sarky. I'm not really a man of maths and it's not beyond the wit of man to devise a way of making 3 divisions of 54 or even 55 teams if needs be.

I'm not fussed if we don't get to play a game against Brazil or Argentina or whoever, every now and again. They usually lack intensity anyway. But I'm not saying I'm right, you're wrong. It's a value judgment and in my opinion the idea of replacing friendlies with a league of sorts appeals.

The flip side of the "trying new players and formations" argument, I'd venture, is that a good manager should be able to get the right ideas across even in the context of competitive games. Strachan seems to have done this at Scotland. And it's not as if playing Mexico once every 4 years is going to fully prepare us for World Cup last 32 game, or tilt us towards tippy tappy. Ok, I'm being sarky now but how many glamour friendlies have really taught us anything in the last couple of years?

Neither of us has a crystal ball, but I'd expect a League of Nations game to be at worst no less attractive than your run of the mill friendly. Of course if we sink to lower status then yes, but we'd be getting what we deserve.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 27/03/2014 at 7:04 PM.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Great post Stutts.

23. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Punta Arenas, Puerto Montt & everywhere in between
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Maybe I'm missing something here but why does everyone seem to think we will be in pot 3 and only occasionally pot 2. If pot 1 has 16 teams then (if it were to begin this year) we will be in pot 2 as we are currently ranked #19 in UEFA rankings. Are people expecting us to drop to the #30's over the next 4 years?
    "U've figured how to work the Google on the internet machine"

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Yep, we'd probably be second division if UEFA rankings are the criteria. Hopefully we'll be pot 1 by 2018

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    But the rankings are only going to be the initial criteria surely.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast