Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Cheltenham 2014

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts

Cheltenham 2014

I have little knowledge of horse racing but I like to know which Irish trained horses are running each day at Cheltenham and whether they're any good.

It'd be great if anyone could post some decent chat here.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    1.30 Wicklow Brave
    2.05 Champagne Fever
    2.40 Wrong Turn
    3.20 Hurrican Fly
    4.00 Calin Annamch
    4.40 Suntiep
    5.15 Festive Affair

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I have little knowledge of horse racing but I like to know which Irish trained horses are running each day at Cheltenham and whether they're any good.

It'd be great if anyone could post some decent chat here.
    There are a lot of Irish horses running each day.

Willie Mullins has 3 in the 1.30 the supreme Novices Hurdle - the championship race for speed novice hurdlers. Vautour ( Ruby Walsh ) is his No. 1 pick but his supposed 2nd string - Wicklow Brave (Paul Townend) is nearly just as good while he has the able Bryan Cooper on his 3rd string Valseur Lido. Gilgamboa is up there in the betting for Enda Bolger and has AP McCoy on his back. Pat Fahy another Irish trainer has Western Boy which is the mount of Davy Russell. As usual this is a difficult contest, of the english Paul Nicholls saddles Irving and Nicky Henderson has Josses Hill and Vaniteaux - the latter being the preference of his stable jockey Barry Geraghty. Of the other big English yards - Splash of Ginge goes for Nigel Twiston Davies and The Liquidator goes for David Pipe. 18 runners - take your pick!

2.05 is the Arkle chase and this is the championship contest for 2 mile novice chasers.3 Irish runners in this . The top 2 in the betting market are both Irish. Willie Mullins has Champagne Fever with Ruby on board - looking to get into the winners enclosure for the 3rd successive year and Trifolium goes for Charles Byrnes with Bryan Cooper on board. Ted Veale a winner in a handicap at last year’s festival also goes for Tony Martin. It looks like decent if not stellar renewal of this race. Paul Nicholls' Dodging Bullets has the best form in the book but on better ground probably lacks the pace required. Two that definitely have the pace required are the English pair of Rock on Ruby - the mount of Noel Fehily and Grandouet (Geraghty again) Fast Ground, speed novice chasing - let’s just hope they all come back ok.

The 3.20 is the Champion Hurdle. The Championship race for speed hurdlers and possibly, on paper the best assembly of horses ever for this contest. Ireland has defending champion Hurricane Fly for the Mullins/ Walsh combo. We also have Our Conor for Dessie Hughes and Jezki for Jessica Harrington / Barry Geraghty. In the GB corner they have My Tent or Yours ( AP Mccoy / Henderson ) and The New One for the Twiston Davies'. Take your pick from those 5. I wouldn't like to call it - but the house would be brought down if Hurricane Fly can come up the hill and take a 3rd champion hurdle - what a race in prospect!

The ladies' championship i.e the Mares hurdle over 2m 4f is at 4.00 Quevega for Willie Mullins / Ruby Walsh ( them again) are looking for thier 6th consecutive. It’s a great effort to get her turned out every year in great condition but I don't have that much admiration for the wins really - it’s like Celtic winning 6 SPL's without Rangers - the competition isn't great. It would be a major surprise if she is beaten.

The 4m Novice chase event at 4.40 has 2 leading players, saddled with 2 Irish female jockeys. Shutthefrontdoor is a Jonjo O'Neill trained horse the mount of Nina Carbery and the Ted Walsh has Foxrock which is the mount of his Daughter Katie. Both are in the mix.

Few Irish trained runners in the handicaps as well.
    Tony Martin has "Wrong Turn" in the 2.40 and is very well backed.

In the 5.15 Art of Logistics goes for Dessie Hughes, and King Vuvuzela goes for Paul Nolan. Both have chances in a very open race!

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Think Tony Martin is keeping that one for another day! Jeez if i dont get a winner tomorrow might never bother with horses again!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts
    Thanks for taking the time lads.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Thanks for taking the time lads.
    Wish I didnt n the thing is last year I had 8 winners yet no money to gamble (in asia!) Life!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    tomorrows losers
    Faugheen, Ballycasey, Indevan, Sire de Gruzy, Love Rory, ravens Tower, and Black Hercules!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Tough day for the punters on day one while Ireland had 3 winners including Jezki in the big one.

Day ruined a bit by the death of Our Conor. I'm always a bit nervous at this time of the year as the classier horses tend to go very fast, on better ground, trying to jump obstacles - I think the drying ground caught the racecourse by surprise a little and Our Conor took off at some lick and came to a shuddering and sickening halt at the 3rd hurdle. Punters tend to forget that these are living breathing animals, not machines, and while the majority of trainers treat them fantastically well, at the end of the day they are basically bred, bought and trained to risk their lives for our entertainment. They was some particularly sickening sh!te on twitter today. A bit of perspective is needed.

So its onto day 2.

First up is the Neptune Novices hurdle which is the middle of 3 Novice Championship hurdles run at just over 2 and a half miles. Faugheen is seen as the Irish banker of the meeting ( well behind Quevega ) and represents the Mullins / Walsh combo which means it will carry plenty of euros with it - looks like it will go off at around 5/2. Rathvinden is Mullins 2nd string - no bad horse either - Paul Townend gets the jump on him. Other Irish interest is in the Dessie Hughes trained Lieutenant Colonel - been backed a bit this evening - no forlorn hope either I think esp. with Bryan Cooper on board. Henry De Bromhead runs an outsider in Shanahans Turn. Of the English trained - David Pipe's Red Sherlock is the 2nd fav. While Nicky Henderson runs 2 - Cocktails at Dawn and Royal Boy - Geraghty prefers Royal Boy and his form was franked a bit in the opening race yesterday. 15 runners and another tough start - I like the look of ex flat horse Fennel Bay on the ground with Youghal man Denis O'Regan in the saddle - 25/1

Next Up is the Novice Staying Chase championship at 2.05 the RSA Chase over 3m. I haven't a clue who is going to win this ( no change there ). This looks a deep renewal without any superstar. Mullins / Walsh who seem to be default favorite in all novice races run Ballycasey, who has similar form to Pat Fahy's Morning Assembly who also would be rated similar enough John Kiely's Carlingford Lough. Don Cossack could be classier than all three but he has yet to deliver on his seemingly enormous talent and Gordon Elliott's charge makes up the Irish Quartet. All have a chance in their own way. Smad place for Alan King was 3rd in two world hurdles and at just 7 with an abundance of experience is the pick of the English runners. Sam Winner is the preferred one of the two Paul Nicholls runners while Corrin Wood for Donald McCain and O'Faolaoins Boy for Rebecca Curtis are also fancied.

The big race of the day is the Champion Chase - 2 miles, fast, over fences. The market would say that the English hold the upper hand in this race. With the Sire De Grugy (Moore family ) and Captain Conan ( Henderson / Geraghty ) 1st and 2nd favorite. I like Hinterland for Paul Nicholls who is next in the market for England. Of the Irish Bailey Green for Mouse Morris is our leading contender based on his 2nd in the Arkle last year. Arvika Legeonnaire for Mullins / Walsh and one time Champion Sizing Europe also hold chances. In fact - bottom of the betting is Wishful Thinking - who was 3rd in arguably a much better race last year and won a decent handicap last time out. On that basis you could not rule anyone out. I know - how helpful is that!

The Irish are mob handed in the Cross Crounty race - an almost 4 mile meander around the middle of the track and the Champion Bumper - the 2m flat race for younger horses. We run 10 of the 16 in the Cross Country including defending champion Big Shu. We have 9 runners in the Bumper - Willie Mullins has 3 -Black Hercules, Killultagh Vic and Shaneshill. Anyone of them could be anything - Ruby has chosen Shaneshill. Dermot Weld, more accustomed to cleaning up in Galway in July, runs a pair of decent ex flat horses - Silver Concorde and Vigil - doubt he would bother unless they were decent so its a tip in itself that they travel at all I think.

2 handicaps tomorrow - The Coral Cup - a hurdle race over 2m and 5 and the Fred Winter - which is a handicap restricted to 4 year olds who don't have much from, and was no doubt invented by a bookie.
    We have lots running in the Coral Cup - Indevan for Mullins / Walsh are in at the bottom of the weights for this. Bayan for Gordon Elliot down there lurking as well. Dermot Weld sends Waheeb. At the other end of the weight scale - top weight is Dunguib for Philip Fenton - he of the impending court case for possession of steroids. Bad sign that - no doubt another possible thread in the future. Dunguib himself once went off odds on favorite for the Supreme Novices, so very talented and not without a place chance.
    In the Fred Winter - All the top stables have a horse in this but its a relative unknown Irish stable that has the well backed Orgilgo Bay for John C McConnell he along with many, many others carry Irish hopes.

12. Thanks From:

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Had €6 in my Paddy Power account yesterday so did a 20c e/w luck 15. It wasn't particularly lucky so I now have 35c in my account. I've gone for 17c e/w on Fennel Bay. Paddy Power is trembling in his boots at the prospect of my winnings.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    5 horse acca for today.

1:30 Faugheen 11/8
    2:05 Ballycasey 11/2
    2:40 Del Arca 12/1
    3:20 Sire De Grugy 10/3
    4:00 Sire Collonges 11/1

€0.50 EW bet returns almost €5,300.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    two winners today, yeah but short prices!!! ha ha tomorrows nags
    double ross, crowning jewel, rajalhani express, annie power, third intention, twirling magnet

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Bloodbath!

For me personally this has been my worst Cheltenham ever. For some reason I have been going with win bets and have left some nice each way money behind me. Most notably today with Smad Place, Rathvinden and Orgilgo Bay getting in the places. However it was not to be and I can but look forward with renewed enthusiasm to day three in the hope of something...anything!

From an Irish standpoint we now sit at 5 winners. Willie Mullins has another stunning novice on his hands in Faugheen. Who crushed his rivals in the Neptune today despite flattening the 2nd and 3rd last hurdles. They kind of only got in his way really as he left behind a top class field and is already a contender for next years champion hurdle.
    Irish trained horses filled the top 6 in the closing Bumper with all of Willie Mullins' horses in the frame but it was the King of Ballybrit Dermot Weld who took the honours with a 16/1 shot Silver Concorde. The jockey Robbie McNamara said at a preview night that Golantilla was "a certainty" in the Bumper and thats where my money went! ( to be fair - not on that advice )

Day 3 is always a slight lull - 6 races, 3 Grade 1's and 3 big field handicaps better known as bookmaker benefit races. The Grade one's are newer races apart from the World hurdle and lack a slight bit of the luster of some of the more established races. However its cheltenham, its the festival and we must waste more money!

First up is the Grade 1 novice Chase over 2 and 1/2 miles. Willie Mullins - you may remember him - saddles 3 for Ireland in this one. On the evidence of the other major staying novice chase today, the English Novice staying chasers may have the edge over the Irish. However that does not stop Felix Younger - the mount of Ruby Walsh - (you may remember him also) being the current 4/1 favorite. Mullins' other duo are Djakadam (respected) and Mozoltov (outsider). Sizing Gold from the Henry De Bromhead stable is the only other Irish runner - anther with place claims. Of the English team - their major contenders are Taquin De Seuil for Johnjo O'Neill / AP McCoy Oscar Whiskey for Henderson/Geraghty and Wonderful Charm for Nicholls and Daryl Jacob. All have beaten each other over the course of the season. Oscar Whiskey - if reproducing his best hurdle from would walk away with this but he has yet to do the business as a chaser. Two I like at longer odds are Vukovar who has rock solid form and Double Ross for the Twiston-Davies team who has been running in handicaps but comes in here with a solid chance - I will learn the lesson from yesterday and go each way at about 14/1!

The 3rd race, the Ryanair Chase, is for those without the pace for a Champion Chase and those who lack the stamina for a Cheltenham Gold Cup. Despite it being a bit of a makey-uppey race it is nearly always a decent contest with good depth and this year is no different. According to the book - this is a shootout at the head of the market - in the Green/White/Gold corner is Benefficient for Tony Martin and Davy Russell, and in the red/white/blue corner is Dynaste for Martin Pipe and Tom Scudamore . Benefficient won the first race this day last year and his form has been steady since. Dynaste is a classier animal but struggles a bit on the undulating Cheltenham track - its hard to split the pair. Maybe one will come to beat them both? Ireland have 3 more - Boston Bob form Mullins / Walsh who was travelling ok before falling here this time last year, Rathlin for Mouse Morris and Hidden Cyclone for John Joseph Hanlon - all three are entitled to take a chance. Hidden Cyclone may be value as he can be very good on his day. Al Ferof goes for Paul Nicholls - very classy and only a fraction outside the top 2 in the betting, Medermit for Alan King and Menorah for Philip Hobbs on the ground could get each-way money.

So onto the World Hurdle. The Grade 1 for staying Hurdlers over 3 miles. Annie Power - Willie Mullins' unbeaten mare is the favourite with Ruby on board and carrying the colours of owner Rich Ricci (pretty much the perfect name for someone rotten with money) who has won both the big novice hurdles so far and had champagne fever just touched off in the Arkle chase as well. The clincher for some is that as a mare - she is entitled to a weight allowance of 7 lbs from the lads! Big Bucks comes back looking to win the world hurdle for the 5th time after winning it 4 years on the trot from 2009-2012 and was only denied a 5th due to an injury. Big Bucks is now an 11 year old - and not too many 11 year olds win top class races - 10 year old Hurricane Fly was beaten on Tuesday - so it may be Annie Powers to lose. However she has never been in a race beyond 2 and a half miles so there is a doubt whether or not she will stay. As a result there may be value each way in the other Irish trained Rule the World for Mouse Morris or in the British trained JP McManus owned pair of At Fishers Cross for Rebecca Curtis and the fast improving More of That for Johnjo O'Neill - Barry Geraghty picks up the spare ride as AP will ride At Fishers Cross.

Of the 3 handicaps - 1st up is The Pertemps Final Handicap hurdle over 3 miles ( there are no semi finals just qualifying races ) has 2 of Irish interest - Jessica Harrington (Jezki fame) runs Jetson and Dessie Hughes runs Seefood - neither has a jockey booked ( Sad to see that Bryan Cooper broke his leg on Clarcam today - Clarcam had to be destroyed in what was a horrendous fall)

There are 2 mental handicap chases to finish the day.
    Tony Martin has the aptly named Sraid Padraig in the 2m 5f Byrne Group Plate.

Gordon Elliot has the very interesting Cause of causes in the final 3m Kim Muir handicap, amateur riders only and Gordon has booked Nina Carberry. Robbie McNamara rides Spring Heeled for Jim Culloty, Willie Mullins has Balnaslow who hopefully wont live up to his name and Dessie Hughes has Hunting Party in near the bottom of the weights. Good luck picking a winner in this but Elliot is shrewd and Cause of Causes will get my each way money.
    Last edited by Real ale Madrid; 12/03/2014 at 10:28 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    The Cheltenham Gold Cup is the blue riband event of National hunt racing, and is the highlight of day 4.

Looking back to today - some would say that the Irish trained tally of 6 is low - but given our % of runners - the 14 winners we had at the festival last year was a bit of a freak result - so 6 with hopefully 1 or 2 to come tomorrow would be an excellent return. Just the 1 winner today and the Jim Culloty trained and aptly named Spring heeled made all to give Robbie McNamara his 2nd winner in 2 days. Personally I was gutted as Cause of Causes would surely have won if he had not tried to jump through the last two fences as opposed to over them. In truth though Nina Carberry did well to hang on at the last and pick up some place money.

Day 4 has 3 grade 1's including the Gold Cup - 3 handicaps and an amateur race for champion hunter chasers.

First Grade one is the Triumph hurdle for Novices restricted to the 4-y-o age group.
    The ill fated Our Conor - stormed up the hill to give Ireland its first win in this race for 11 years last year. We have plenty of runners this year (6) but none occupy the top of the market. English trained are expected to dominate with Calipto for Paul Nicholls, Broughton for John Ferguson and Royal Irish Hussar for Henderson / Geraghty occupying the 3 first places.
    However the 6 we do send are not exactly forlorn hopes and 1 could come out of this pack to take a famous victory. Dessie Hughes has Guitar Pete, John McConnell saddles Lindenhurst while Gordon Elliot brings over Tiger Roll. Aidan O'Brien of flat racing fame brings over Plinth and owned by JP McManus is the mount of AP McCoy - perhaps the better ground will bring out the best in him. It wouldn't be a novice event in Cheltenham without a few Willie Mullins horses and Ruby Walsh rides Abbyssial and Paul Townend takes the ride on the mare Adriana De Mottes - write them off at your Pearl although the formbook has them ranked well down the Irish form. 14 runners and probably the most difficult novice event of the week. Calipto is a 4/1 favourite but it is 17/2 and better odds the rest of them so good luck if you bet. Lindenhurst has the best sole piece of Irish form and maybe worth a few cent each way at 10/1.

The 2.40 is the last of the major novice hurdles and is the staying novice championship over 3 miles. Willie Mullins is looking for a clean sweep of the 3 main novice Grade 1 events and has the warm favourite Briar Hill who won the bumper last year and hasn't been beaten since. The main English hope is for the David Pipe stable who are bang in from and that is Kings Palace. The market says that this is a two horse race, and I can't find anything really that could upset the apple cart. There are 20 runners which is a little unusual so there may be a little each way value. I like Saint Roque for Paul Nicholls and Noel Fehily at 50/1 and might be worth a play without the front 2 in the betting - he is back on good ground tomorrow. 50/1 is too big I think. (Watch him get lapped now) Ireland has 3 other runners all the massive odds - Apache Jack has a few supporters at about 33/1 - Very Wood for Noel Meade and The Job is right for Michael Hourigan are 40/1 and 66/1 respectively and have no form that would suggest they are good enough.

So onto the main event. The Cheltenham Gold Cup. Not a stellar renewal, having been spoilt by Best Mate, Kauto Star, Denman etc over the past 10 years - this years event lacks a bit of star quality. However, Bob's Worth just keeps winning and he could yet go down as one of the great staying chasers. He stayed on brilliantly up the hill last year to justify favoritism and is favorite again this year for Nicky Henderson and Barry Geraghty. Silviniaco Conti is another stout stayer but there is a possibility that he would prefer more give in the ground - but at 7/2 you couldn't rule him out completely. Irish trained horses make up the next 2 in the betting and both for owner Michael O'Leary. Last Installment for Philip Fenton surely needs softer ground - its also the 1st time he has raced outside of Ireland and while it is possible that he could shoot up the hill and win - it won't be with my money. I much prefer First Lieutenant for Mouse Morris. Winner of the 2m 5f Grade 1 hurdle in 2011 - he chased Bob's Worth home in the Chase equivalent in 2012 before coming 2nd to the hugely talented Cue Card in last years Ryanair. I really like him each way on this ground. I can't see the others making the frame but the Giant Bolster was 2nd a few years ago but this looks tougher. Willie Mullins main staying chasers all pulled out so he has supplemented On his own - who is more of a Grand National Horse. The RSA Chase 1-2 have entered and both fly the Irish flag. Lord Windermere for Dessie Hughes beat Lyreen Legend for Jim Culloty, but that novice form has not staked up as they rate 28 and 33/1 shots respectively.

The Amateur Gold Cup takes place immediately after the real Gold Cup and is a bit of a cavalry charge. It pays to watch out for the best amateur jockeys who are booked up well in advance. On the Fringe is the favourite for Irish trainer Enda Bolger, who has booked Nina Carberry, while it would be absolutely BRILLIANT to see Jane Mangan win on Oscar Delta for her father James. The horse got confused or spooked or something about 200 yards from the line 12 months ago with the race at her mercy. It was heartbreaking. I hope she gets another chance but I fear the good ground will tell against her horse.

The three handicaps are in there as usual to make sure no-one makes any real money and the bookies go home happy. First up is the 28 runner County Hurdle. Ireland has seven in this. Willie Mullins has Diakali, Upazo and Arctic Fire - Ruby picks Artic Fire the 6/1 favorite. Gordon Elliot saddles Flaxen Flare - last year Fred Winter winner and Tony Martin picks Thomas Edison. The two Irish with the best chance I think are the JP McManus Pair of Minella Foru for Eddie Harty and Never Enough time for Tom Fahy. Eddie Harty never sends a dud over to cheltenham and Tom Fahy's horse has the best form in the book and if he likes the ground could outrun his 14/1 odds. If you are having an each way bet make sure you get 5 places.

The last 2 races are a 2 and a half mile handicap hurdle for conditional jockeys, and a 2 mile handicap dash over fences to finish the week.
    Willie Mullins sends Don Poli over for the hurdle race while Ireland has 4 in the get-out stakes that is the Grand Annual - and they are:
    Passage Vendome for Walsh / Mullins , Ned Buntline for Noel Meade / Paul Carberry, Savello for Tony Martin and Davy Russell and Conor O'Dwyer saddles Competitive edge - which is an apt way to finish really - lets see if he has! I like Dare Me at 25/1 to get me out of what no doubt could be a large hole by 5 o clock tomorrow.

Good luck whatever you fancy and remember it will only be 362 days until Cheltenham 2015!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts
    Top class, the thought and effort is really appreciated. Much better than anything I could hope to read in the morning's papers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Cheers Strutts.

Just watched a documentary on Arkle there on Channel 4.

Donn McClean , Nicky Henderson, Ted Walsh all featured as well as none other than Eamonn Dunphy. He didn't cry on this doc though. Thought it was a little bizarre he was on but there you go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Tomorrows losers
    Just a few cents left to gamble!
    guitar pete, dikakali, briar hill, triolo d alene, shy john, rum n butter, ned buntline.
    Interesting to see who gets top jockey and top trainer. Ruby doesnt deserve it anyway, considering he has the pick of the top horses.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    First lieutenant a NR in the Gold Cup