Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: LOI Week 1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Keen2win View Post
    Anywhere streaming the Rovers-Derry game? I'm out of the country!
    You're missing nothing,its been very poor so far.Strange that shams have Finn,Mcphail,O'Connor,McGuinness on the bench?Bayly starting?The starting side looks weaker than what they had last season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by roversforever View Post
    You're missing nothing,its been very poor so far.Strange that shams have Finn,Mcphail,O'Connor,McGuinness on the bench?Bayly starting?The starting side looks weaker than what they had last season.
    Had the same thoughts myself. Rovers gone out with seemingly a weakened side. They're absolutely all over the place too. Very, very poor game.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Lots of talent on the shams squad but I wouldn't fancy Croly to get the.best out of them, very open league but there is more chance of Athlone finishing last than us top .

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    I wasn't impressed too much by either side today. Derry edged it, but arguably Rovers seemed more dangerous. The selections were interesting to say the least. Teams are going to get at Derry in the air I feel.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by roversforever View Post
    Finn,Mcphail,O'Connor,McGuinness on the bench?Bayly starting?.
    Sheppard also on bench, very poor affair, how long will Croly last especially when Fenlon is hovering in the background?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    I can understand what Derry did, to put young bodies, defensively minded going for the draw. And then keep the guns for second half, to play the counter if they were up, or to keep doing the same but lest time.
    But there is no reason for Croly to bench McPhail and McGuiness, I can understand that maybe Finn it's not in form yet and that he prefer McCabe and Waters on the wing... But Bayly for Mcfail???!!! Are we crazy? Cornwall for McGuiness???

I don't understand it. In fact i thought when they signed those two that they were going to play in B team...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    Did not get a chance to watch the game today on tv, but from following on twitter it seemed a poor standard of a match. This happens a lot with live games, especially at start of season. While it is early yet, it looks like it could be a very open league which I think along with the ultras/fans displays is one of the strong points of the loI.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Briuk View Post
    I can understand what Derry did, to put young bodies, defensively minded going for the draw. And then keep the guns for second half, to play the counter if they were up, or to keep doing the same but lest time.
    But there is no reason for Croly to bench McPhail and McGuiness, I can understand that maybe Finn it's not in form yet and that he prefer McCabe and Waters on the wing... But Bayly for Mcfail???!!! Are we crazy? Cornwall for McGuiness???

I don't understand it. In fact i thought when they signed those two that they were going to play in B team...
    Finn and Sheppard are still struggling for fitness and McPhail has had a few issues too. Cornwall didn't play instead of McGuinness, O'Connor did and he justified his selection until his injury.

That was an appalling game and a really poor advert for the league. RTE screwed up by not showing the champions on the first week. The league should have begun last Friday when there was no underage 6 nations on, Friday night on TV. As for the match, Rovers looked clueless. Croly has gone from one extreme to the other: last season was all about passing the ball around midfield for 90 minutes and getting nowhere near the goal, this year it's all about hoofing it up as quick as possible. Derry were utterly dominant in the air and we just kept whacking it at them expecting something to change. It's a shame because whichever Brennan we signed this time looks a real player - him, Finn and McPhail could be a very good unit.

Derry looked the hungrier side throughout. They pressed well and played the game in the part of the pitch where Roddy likes to see it played, i.e. 40 yards above it. They looked fairly limited throughout but they're well-drilled and have plenty of pace on the counter. Apart from a couple of defensive errors, Rovers never looked like creating any meaningful chances against them, and they shut down the midfield completely. I know it's only the first day, but you'd hope for the league's sake that both teams find a bit more rhythm over the coming weeks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    I never understand why people overestimate the crowds so much and refuse to believe the official figures. There is no benefit at all to the club to lie about the attendance, in fact the opposite is true.
    There's a very obvious benefit to clubs underestimating crowds.

Not saying Cork did it but it goes on.

Of course some clubs go the other way and overestimate too, depends on whos running the show and what way they want to run it really.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    That was an appalling game and a really poor advert for the league
    Only LOI fans were watching it. Any floating football fans were watching Man City/Wigan.

****e game. They happen.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by disgruntled View Post

You must be new to watching Pats so ?
    you are suggesting we are a team that use ugly tactics ? :-)
    good chap

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Finn and Sheppard are still struggling for fitness and McPhail has had a few issues too. Cornwall didn't play instead of McGuinness, O'Connor did and he justified his selection until his injury.

That was an appalling game and a really poor advert for the league. RTE screwed up by not showing the champions on the first week. The league should have begun last Friday when there was no underage 6 nations on, Friday night on TV. As for the match, Rovers looked clueless. Croly has gone from one extreme to the other: last season was all about passing the ball around midfield for 90 minutes and getting nowhere near the goal, this year it's all about hoofing it up as quick as possible. Derry were utterly dominant in the air and we just kept whacking it at them expecting something to change. It's a shame because whichever Brennan we signed this time looks a real player - him, Finn and McPhail could be a very good unit.

Derry looked the hungrier side throughout. They pressed well and played the game in the part of the pitch where Roddy likes to see it played, i.e. 40 yards above it. They looked fairly limited throughout but they're well-drilled and have plenty of pace on the counter. Apart from a couple of defensive errors, Rovers never looked like creating any meaningful chances against them, and they shut down the midfield completely. I know it's only the first day, but you'd hope for the league's sake that both teams find a bit more rhythm over the coming weeks.
    Pfft. I thought the first half was very poor but that it improved a bit in the second half. We looked very vulnerable defensively in the first few minutes but improved as the game went on. It was disappointing to concede the goal but it was coming.
    Robbie Hedderman. Arguably the greatest Derry City player of all time...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    There's a very obvious benefit to clubs underestimating crowds.
    What?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    McPhail has had a few issues too.
    That beard, for one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    RTE screwed up by not showing the champions on the first week.
    Judging by the commentary, I reckon they think Shamrock Rovers are champs, and have been every year since independence: "Historic victory looming for Derry." "That equaliser has spared Croly's blushes." etc WTVeryF?

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    What?!
    If a club was minded to cook the books and hide a certain amount of income in order to pay players under the table or whatever, then under-declaring crowds could be helpful. Since match tickets are not subject to VAT the incentive is lessened, but not gone. Clubs in the UK are liable to VAT, so the incentive there is bigger again.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gormacha View Post
    Judging by the commentary, I reckon they think Shamrock Rovers are champs, and have been every year since independence: "Historic victory looming for Derry." "That equaliser has spared Croly's blushes." etc WTVeryF?
    Commentary was shocking altogether. Stephen Alkin is probably the worst commentator in the history of football commentary. Rico is a disaster too. Some of the cringe they were coming out with was awful. Poor miscued shots trickling wide receiving "OOH, that was agonisingly close".
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Briuk View Post

To paraphrase Alan Hansen, they'll win nothing with skids.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Only LOI fans were watching it. Any floating football fans were watching Man City/Wigan.

****e game. They happen.
    That was only on pay per view I thought?

Incidentally, I saw Paul Osam after the match, decked out in full Rovers regalia, along with his son. I always knew he was a Hoop At Heart.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    I thought the programme was a bit disjointed. At the start it jumped between LOI and the ROI team. Hopefully as it progresses it will have more structure to it.

Had to laugh when Peter Collins asked Richie Saddler about Sligo Rovers and Saddler started talking about unrest in Shams' dressing room.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast