Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Euro 2016 Qualifying

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    By saying mates in mayo...they are in mayo they wouldn't know how its pronounced.I know a few lads in Dundalk who know how phisboro is pronounced...
    He was saying his Mayo mates pronounce it Tarmonbarry (I think)...but that it doesn't matter cos they're filthy mucksavages that can't speak properly inanyways.

Anyway I wish the two of ye would Termonfeckin shut up!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    903 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    We've been through this.

The sign says Termonbarry. It's Termonbarry.
    Thank heavens! Almost hit the new season without a single contentious reference to Termonbarry.

Johnser Byrne takes it with an 'e'. Mind you, Johnser started taking everything with an 'e' and the state of his urine meant he missed half the last season with the Alberts!
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    Thank heavens! Almost hit the new season without a single contentious reference to Termonbarry.

Johnser Byrne takes it with an 'e'. Mind you, Johnser started taking everything with an 'e' and the state of his urine meant he missed half the last season with the Alberts!
    And Johnser Byrne. SvD can now rest easy.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

5. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Would any of ye lads be so kind as to let this fleeting user of foot.ie in on the source of the Termon-talk? On previous visits I had seen it as Bonnie's sig and was confused as to why such a relatively insignificant Shannon crossing was getting name checked on a national board.

I can also confirm, being a Ros, that it's Tarmon. The signpost spelling only surfaced 10-15 years ago. Around the same time they decided to rename Ballinagare Bellanagare. It's a wee village on the way to darkest Mayo though, so is forgotten about in the cult-creating realm of foot.ie.

On the group. I'm wary, though quite excited by it. Our poor record at beating anyone with any slight whiff of pedigree in recent times suggests it will be the tight one most early forecasts predict. I think Scotland are on the up, and Strachan is a more than decent manager. The Poles have a couple of players operating high up in the Bundesliga. We should be better under MON, but he doesn't pick players for their club sides and a season or two of underachievement for the likes of Long, McGeady, McCarthy and so could leave us fielding a patched up side in many games. Has happened all too often in the last decade or so. But the opposition will provide a challenge and points will be dropped by all making every game bigger than the last. Looking forward to it!
    The dude abides....

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,002 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    The mere mention of OWC on footie sets off loud bleeps on the OWC paranoia radar, the command is sent out to a OWC counter propaganda patrol to combat any perceived threat. Everything that bleeps is a perceived threat, whether it's a threat or not. That's why Gather Round hits the thread with the subtlety of an elephant.
    "Oh I was just passing by, and I couldn't help overhearing a misguided conversation about...."
    We use to have about 10 of them hitting the thread at the same time time, but I guess they weren't get paid enough for the humiliations suffered. But Gather Round is impervious to humiliations, no servile task is too servile for this warrior at the gates, to protect the OWC from ..... armageddon.
    Interesting to see that none of the posters who jumped to Gather Round's defense earlier had any comment to make on this hyperbolic trolling nonsense.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bottle of Tonic View Post
    Would any of ye lads be so kind as to let this fleeting user of foot.ie in on the source of the Termon-talk? On previous visits I had seen it as Bonnie's sig and was confused as to why such a relatively insignificant Shannon crossing was getting name checked on a national board.

I can also confirm, being a Ros, that it's Tarmon. The signpost spelling only surfaced 10-15 years ago. Around the same time they decided to rename Ballinagare Bellanagare. It's a wee village on the way to darkest Mayo though, so is forgotten about in the cult-creating realm of foot.ie
    It ballooned from some mention in the barstool facepalm thread.

This was the post...
    http://foot.ie/threads/144185-Barsto...=1#post1426712

Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Interesting to see that none of the posters who jumped to Gather Round's defense earlier had any comment to make on this hyperbolic trolling nonsense.
    Because that is the general reaction to GR's trolling. Ignorance. TOWK is new and needed to be learned [sic].

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    I had a coffee and a scone there, driving from Dublin to Mayo last September. Some dark pub on the LHS just over the bridge. What was it called? I think I only stopped there because of Bonnie's t-shirt in Poznan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Keenan's the Purple Onion.

11. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Bot I've been away over ten years go back once a year at least but I noticed that bellanagare one too where did that come from?that place was synonymous with fighting for me and lads trying to get the shift and asking each other what they "got". It was serious bonus territory if ye got her out the back...so good infact you could lie about what really happened....

I've been to tarmombarry but I've never been to termonbarry or termonfecking for that matter either.good man Dustin.

I think scotland will be trickier than everyone thinks and Poland showed against england and evenour friendly they will be very tough to beat.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Thats a well known eaterie place stutts or at least it was. You should have splashed out on lunch or maybe there was some plastic plates to get a hold of.

Stutrs how did ye pronounce scone there?did everyone laugh when you ordered it?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    I was the youngest punter there by about 30 years. And I'm old enough to be Bonnie's dad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I was the youngest punter there by about 30 years. And I'm old enough to be Bonnie's dad.
    *shudders*

You lied about your age in that case.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    The difference is that the latter was idle banter; I know that geysir doesn't actually believe that. Gather Round knows he doesn't believe that. It was what people with a sense of humour would call a joke. Think of the nonsensical hyperbole you managed to identify as the clue.

17. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Even if he did, what of it? It's entirely in keeping with the paranoia on that site and of GR, on occasion (and far worse), as I said up thread.

And 'trolling nonsense' ? Seriously, that is unworthy of further comment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,002 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    The difference is that the latter was idle banter; I know that geysir doesn't actually believe that. Gather Round knows he doesn't believe that. It was what people with a sense of humour would call a joke. Think of the nonsensical hyperbole you managed to identify as the clue.
    That is how you interpreted it. Sure it's just banter.

I see it differently, especially from a poster who has made needlessly antagonistic posts regarding the IFA, NI, and their supporters in the past.
    Last edited by osarusan; 25/02/2014 at 3:16 AM.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    A trip to an opticians may then be in order?

You clearly forget the 'needlessly antagonistic' material coming in the other direction...

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    That is how you interpreted it. Sure it's just banter.

I see it differently, especially from a poster who has made needlessly antagonistic posts regarding the IFA, NI, and their supporters in the past.
    Gather Round will be so touched by your sensitivity for his feelings, but why the selectivity here, why ignore my suspect posts about FAI, ROI, and some of their supporters?
    Afaia, the last time GR got wound up here was when Taoiseach Kenny put his foot in it. One could say the paranoia factor went on red high alert in response to.... eh.... a throwawy comment from a Mayo bogman, hardly an armageddon threat, but the OWC can't tell the difference between a Kenny throwaway comment on an AI team for a charity and a threat of armageddon, it's one and the same thing, it equates to same end result for the OWC, namely the slippery path to annihilation. That's paranoia for you.

I'm not a goody goody type, if some foolish people dogmatically and deliberately persist with ignoring absurdity even when its explained, just so they can be all self righteous and offended, then one can't legislate for that. One can legislate for gratuitous insults delivered with prejudice or delivered out of ignorance. I have an appropriate understanding of political correctness, not a stupid one that takes words out of context, just to be insulted.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Geysir, don't encourage him...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,002 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Gather Round will be so touched by your sensitivity for his feelings, but why the selectivity here, why ignore my suspect posts about FAI, ROI, and some of their supporters?
    Perhaps because for the most part, I'd be broadly in agreement with you, and even when we're not in agreement (which has been the case plenty of times), I have no problem with your posts.

But when it comes to the issue of OWC or whatever it is about IFA/NI/Gather Round that gets you riled up, you can on occasion go over the top and post what I described as needlessly antagonistic posts. I thought that the post I commented was one of those posts (hence the comment).

The rest of your post mainly describes the content of the eligibility thread over a few pages, as a result of Enda Kenny's comments. I don't really remember much about that (much ado about nothing is what I recall) but it would suggest that your comment yesterday was not quite the idle banter that Danny suggested it was - that you were actually getting a dig in. You may feel it was relevant or justified. I obviously don't.

All this is beside the point to some extent anyway, as my main reason for making the comment was to point out the lack of response to your post. TOWK had made some silly comments about Gather Round, and quite a few posters had felt it worthwhile to set him straight. I'd consider your post to have been more insulting, and thought that the silence (message-board silence at least) was interesting.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    876 Posts
    I'd consider your post to have been more insulting, and thought that the silence (message-board silence at least) was interesting.
    It only takes for good men to do nothing for evil to prosper eh osarusan ?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast