Thread: a day never to be forgotten

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts

a day never to be forgotten

the signs were ominous.

15 minutes to go and 1- 0 down in a game where we made most of the running.town simply refused to take their hand off the cup.
    when prunty and barret combined in a move down the left side, the waterford defender was content to send the ball into row z.

the resulting throw in resulted in a move with alan kirby unleashing an unstoppable thunderbolt into the waterford net.

we had'nt even half celebrated his goal when paul keegan and eric lavine combined in a move that was started by a superb dean fitz through ball.
    it ended with keegan side footing the ball passed a stranded goal keeper for the winner...........................grown men cried tears of joy as the longford faithful went delerious with joy. truly the best team won in a day that any town fan will never ever forget.

i thought i died and went to heaven ...........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the 12 th man
    the signs were ominous.

15 minutes to go and 1- 0 down in a game where we made most of the running.town simply refused to take their hand off the cup.
    when prunty and barret combined in a move down the left side, the waterford defender was content to send the ball into row z.

the resulting throw in resulted in a move with alan kirby unleashing an unstoppable thunderbolt into the waterford net.

we had'nt even half celebrated his goal when paul keegan and eric lavine combined in a move that was started by a superb dean fitz through ball.
    it ended with keegan side footing the ball passed a stranded goal keeper for the winner...........................grown men cried tears of joy as the longford faithful went delerious with joy. truly the best team won in a day that any town fan will never ever forget.

i thought i died and went to heaven ...........
    Well summed up there T12M It was unreal alright! I would have obviously taken a draw with 10 minutes to go but to get the winner was just out of this world!

btw, how was Reynolds not sent off yesterday? Keego and Murph got yellow cards for nothing while the little scumbag got away with nearly everything

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    For anyone who's interested, were sticking the video of the game on in HQ (i.e JJ's lounge) at 2 o clock today. A day for drinking and bad singing.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DE TOWN
    Well summed up there T12M It was unreal alright! I would have obviously taken a draw with 10 minutes to go but to get the winner was just out of this world!

btw, how was Reynolds not sent off yesterday? Keego and Murph got yellow cards for nothing while the little scumbag got away with nearly everything
    As an independant I thought Reynolds should have been sent off - but the first Longford goal should have been dissallowed & restarted from the throw (because of the 2 balls on the pitch). I think you would rather take the win than a replay (with Reynolds suspended) on Wednesday!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    What a day, What a night! Well done to the lads, to Alan and Aaron, it was really something special!
    Still in shock, I don't know if we have scored two goals that quick before!
    Delighted for Lavine and Man-of-the-Match award! Great day had by all.
    Well done to Singing section, never gave up special mention to drummers, great atmosphere!
    Btw commiserations to Waterford except Alan Reynolds....for you alone i am delighted!
    Ever get the feelin' you have been cheated?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    oh just a note on Deano's tackle on Reynolds......priceless!
    Ever get the feelin' you have been cheated?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CuanaD
    As an independant I thought Reynolds should have been sent off - but the first Longford goal should have been dissallowed & restarted from the throw (because of the 2 balls on the pitch). I think you would rather take the win than a replay (with Reynolds suspended) on Wednesday!
    There is a case that our 1st goal should have been dissalowed but we are not complaining!!! Obviously we wanted to win the cup yesterday instead of waiting until Wednesday but Reynolds should still have been sent off

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maz
    oh just a note on Deano's tackle on Reynolds......priceless!
    It was quality alright

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sorbothegreek
    For anyone who's interested, were sticking the video of the game on in HQ (i.e JJ's lounge) at 2 o clock today. A day for drinking and bad singing.
    Ah so that was why Casey brought in a video in JJs earlier! On the way back to London tonight, so wont be there unfortunatly. Magical atmosphere, unbelievable turnaround, well worth coming home for!!!!! And thanks for the welcome home too, will see you all at Xmas!
    'Fascists dress in black and go round telling people what to do, where as priests.....'

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    what can ya say, another european trip. i think god was looking down on us last night

we have the setanta cup also.

amazing night, after missing the celebrations last year it was a very special night for me. never been so proud to wear the jersey, its a long way from 20 fans at my first game 20 yrs ago.

to all involved in the club all i can say is, thank you.

oh and hello pip
    Last edited by max power; 25/10/2004 at 5:03 PM.
    Ignore Max Power, he is no more, the future is Ron Burgundy. I'd love to be Ron Burgundy but they won't let me........

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    There is a case that our 1st goal should have been dissalowed but we are not complaining!!!
    There's more than a case!!!It was shameful how that goal was allowed to stand,watch the game again and at least 3 WUFC players stopped and pointed to the ball.Any other ref would of stopped the game and ordered the throw to be retaken.
    How many more times are we gonna be raped and pillaged by ye???Its gone beyond a joke at this stage!!!!!!!

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    As your own manager says "play to the whistle", I spotted one waterford player paying attention to the second ball, if you disallow goals for that what's to stop someone throwing a ball on deliberately to stop a goalscoring threat?..The ref deemed it not interfering with play as did the chairman of the referees committee Pat Kelly, after the game.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ConfusedBlue
    There's more than a case!!!It was shameful how that goal was allowed to stand,watch the game again and at least 3 WUFC players stopped and pointed to the ball.Any other ref would of stopped the game and ordered the throw to be retaken.
    How many more times are we gonna be raped and pillaged by ye???Its gone beyond a joke at this stage!!!!!!!
    just as pat keanes goal for rockmount was disallowed in the 1/4 final, yww shouldn't have been there at all, at least rockmount might have brought someone to the game
    Ignore Max Power, he is no more, the future is Ron Burgundy. I'd love to be Ron Burgundy but they won't let me........

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by ConfusedBlue
    By the letter of the law the game should have been pulled back but when the majority of the players played the whistle and then the gods of Longford scored, it would have not been just on these gods of Longford i.e Kirby and co. Blame the ref not us, oh yeah it was magic that it was Kirby that scored such a goal. You ain't confused homey ya just a sour grapes losa from waaaterford. Hard Luck all the same

P.S To the auld gimp that was jeering the town fans from below the east lower (approx.East Lower U) Bite My Bx

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs up

Brilliant day and night. Heroes all, Roy of The Rovers stuff as regards the last 20 minutes. The East stand showed what it is all about after Waterford scored as they all "Stood up for Longford Town". Unreal response and one which I have no doubt helped lift the team.
    Delighted to see Eric get the award, though my man of the match was Garto. I thought that he was brilliant in the first half and both he and Sean Dillon more than filled the gap caused by Fergusions absence. Unreal that Alan Kirby was going to be substituted but they switched to John Martin at the last minute. Brilliant strike by him and good finish by Keegan. You couild see what his first goal for the club meant to him. What a time and place to score it!
    Congrats to players, management, committee, Jim Hanley, lotto sellers, mercandise sellers, groundsmen, supporters.
    You know I am starting to believe that the 3 in a row is on!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wink All credit to the Red and Black!

A very emotional day for me..... The Rathmines Inn, The Portobello, The 51 Haddington Road, the march to Lansdowne, Kirby's equaliser, Keego's winner, the celebrations, my burst onto the pitch (despite the best efforts of the stewards ), the night out in Tramco.........

Personally I thought the game was poor, the first half been dreadful in particular. But what a finish! That 'never say die' attitude once again came up trumps! Our experience from last year proved the difference. Once Waterford took the lead, they struggled to retain possession which cost them dearly in the end.

Our supporters were a credit (even if many of them jumped on the bandwagon). We are better with those type than no supporters at all. They're our 'Twelfth man!' A very poor turnout from Waterford indeed given the respective populations of both counties.

In conclusion, I am delighted for one Paul Keegan, a man who has endured so much in recent times. He never fulfilled his potential this season due to many injury set-backs and both study and family commitments. But his winner on Sunday will not be forgotten for manys the day!
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It is on the television commentary. Couldn't believe it myself when I watched the video yesterday. The guy on the sideline said that they were going to sub Kerbs but changed their minds. Lucky they did.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Congratulations Lads,

While it was an awful way to lose, credit to Longford for not giving up. TBH, after the first half, I thought one goal was going to win it, but when we went one up , we started to lose our way, and ye piled on the pressure.

Great atmosphere in the East stand, particularly from the Longford fans, but we gave it a go too.
    Ceci n'est pas une signature

techs
    Take that all you paul keegan doubters. Its brilliant for him. Thanks keego we will never ever forget that goal. I dont think you will either. Well deserved. You won us the cup Cheers! Well done lavine great hand in both goals. Had the heart we needed to win. Only sad part of the day was leavin god out. Heartbreaking. He wouldnt have given reynolds such leaniency. The only thing i can say about that is f*** you matthews Once a t****r always a t****r.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by techs
    Take that all you paul keegan doubters. Its brilliant for him. Thanks keego we will never ever forget that goal. I dont think you will either. Well deserved. You won us the cup Cheers! Well done lavine great hand in both goals. Had the heart we needed to win. Only sad part of the day was leavin god out. Heartbreaking. He wouldnt have given reynolds such leaniency. The only thing i can say about that is f*** you matthews Once a t****r always a t****r.

oh and those matthews doubters as well one of the squad was commenting on ue negative comments and wasn't very impressed...... i think its time to bite the bullet and remove the sig !!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast