Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Irish Tigers and Opposition Irish

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Brady was substituted after an hour for Tom Ince, McShane was the first to get booked and Meyler has had a "sweetly struck" shot tipped over the bar as they pepper the Lokeren goal in search of an equaliser.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Looks like Alex Bruce is leaving Hull as part of the Jordan Rhodes deal (funnily enough, to join the club that released him 10 years ago), which is good news for McShane, who played well in Belgium yesterday by all accounts.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,746 Posts
    I think McShane could score a hat trick against Argentina and keep Messi in his pocket and some people would say he's kack still. I think he's a good half season (or less) away from being very close to our first XI. Wilson has so far failed to make the second CB spot fully his own and solving the left back problem might involve some musical chairs.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    McShane and Quinn start for Hull at home to Stoke today. Meyler is on the bench and Brady nowhere to be found. They were down to 10 men early on as James Chester was sent off for a last-man tackle on Glenn Whelan, who started alongside Wilson with Walters on the bench and Ireland not in the squad.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,746 Posts
    I think Quinn has been really good. A proper busy midfielder. A definite option for the September games, especially if McClean isn't around. We don't need a winger out wide, a left sided midfielder would work well there too. He also an option for the middle, but somewhere I feel O'Neill will need to pick Hoolahan and/or Reid. McCarthy is a gimme.

McShane has done the defensive work really well. I think he started left back but went central when Chester was sent off. He looks like he's relishing the responsibility.

Marc Wilson did a Phil Babb on the goalposts attempting to block the Jelavic goal. I hope he already has children. Check it out if you didn't see it. Ouch!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    McShane started on the left of a back three with Chester and Davies, but they've reverted to four at the back with the wing backs playing as full backs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Commentators full of praise for both Quinn and McShane, and rightly so, with O'Neill and Keane looking on. Quinn replaced on 75 minutes by Meyler.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Stoke equalise with one of the luckiest goal you'll ever see. Hull give the ball away again in midfield with an awful pass to nobody, Stoke then win a throw-in that should have gone Hull's way, and from the resulting cross they stab the ball in at the fourth attempt after McGregor had saved.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Commentators full of praise for both Quinn and McShane, and rightly so, with O'Neill and Keane looking on. Quinn replaced on 75 minutes by Meyler.
    Was Monkeano in the crowd?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    He/they/it was indeed.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,125 Posts
    I thought poor McShane had a slight involvement for the sending off. He played a dodgy ball to put Livermore under pressure who played a dodgy ball that put Chester under more pressure which resulted in him felling Whelan.

Overall, he contended well with Stoke whilst they were down a man. Quinn beside McCarthy in the middle of the park?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    In the links TOWK posted, a lot of people are taking marks off McShane for the pass that eventually led to the goal, but although slightly hurried it was a perfectly good pass that Livermore should have been able to deal with easily. If it was Manchester City or Liverpool and the same thing happened, I don't think people would be blaming Skrtel for Henderson's inability to control a simple pass.

16. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    I thought poor McShane had a slight involvement for the sending off. He played a dodgy ball to put Livermore under pressure who played a dodgy ball that put Chester under more pressure which resulted in him felling Whelan.

Overall, he contended well with Stoke whilst they were down a man. Quinn beside McCarthy in the middle of the park?
    He has definitely put himself up the order. I'd be more inclined to pick him as a wide left midfielder rather than as part of a central two, unless Hoolahan plays slightly further up.

I think Hendrick has staked a good claim too, but I still think Whelan and McCarthy will be picked.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quinn to start against Georgia?

Brady, McClean and Pilkington are all desperately short of match practice/form. Who are the alternatives? Walters?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    He has definitely put himself up the order. I'd be more inclined to pick him as a wide left midfielder rather than as part of a central two, unless Hoolahan plays slightly further up.

I think Hendrick has staked a good claim too, but I still think Whelan and McCarthy will be picked.
    Whelan was starting in the past when his club formed didn't really merit it. In fairness to him, his club form has improved under Hughes and he merits the start more than he has done.

I just feel that Quinn gives something different though. We've always had the issue with retaining possession and that was one of the reasons Hoolahan has been brought into the starting 11. Still though, that's in the final third. I think having Quinn beside McCarthy would bring the best out in him. McCarthy is a very energetic operator. Having someone beside him who can provide him with frequent and quality ball in the middle third might bring the most out of his industry. Whelan's a ball player in his own right too, but, unfortunately, he appears to sometimes interpret being asked to sit beside McCarthy all too literally.

Fair enough having a sitting option against bigger sides. We've struggled to put away the likes of Georgia properly in recent campaigns. Often because we haven't, to use a cliché, taken the games by the scruff of the neck and brought it to them.

Quinn on the left is a decent option. Is he quick enough to play there at international level though? McGeady appers nailed on for one flank. Is it between Quinn and Reid for the left or will the management opt for a pacy winger who will be more fluid in moving between 4-5-1 and 4-3-3 and defence and attack given that McGeady can let his defensive duties slide sometimes? Brady, McClean and Walters probably offer that more than Quinn and Reid. But none of the three started this weekend for their clubs.
    Last edited by Olé Olé; 25/08/2014 at 12:05 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    I just feel that Quinn gives something different though. We've always had the issue with retaining possession and that was one of the reasons Hoolahan has been brought into the starting 11. Still though, that's in the final third. I think having Quinn beside McCarthy would bring the best out in him.

Fair enough having a sitting option against bigger sides. We've struggled to put away the likes of Georgia properly in recent campaigns. Often because we haven't, to use a cliché, taken the games by the scruff of the neck and brought it to them.
    Yep, I think in the past our midfield has been very passive and Quinn would bring a bit of bite and "snapping at ankles" into it. I thought Green and McCarthy did really well in Stockholm, and Quinn is a better player than Green. Quinn is pretty effective at finding space between the lines. He wouldn't have Hoolahan or Reid's vision or precision but he gets about and looks to be involved all the time.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Yep, I think in the past our midfield has been very passive and Quinn would bring a bit of bite and "snapping at ankles" into it. I thought Green and McCarthy did really well in Stockholm, and Quinn is a better player than Green. Quinn is pretty effective at finding space between the lines. He wouldn't have Hoolahan or Reid's vision or precision but he gets about and looks to be involved all the time.
    Agreed. I think he'd offer that bit more energy against Georgia when we don't need to shield our defence from over-ingenious attackers.

And I'm saying this as someone who does like Whelan.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Hull 2-0 down, McShane and Quinn playing Brady and Meyler on the bench.

Villa keeper clattered, Given warming up, but he has not come on.

Half Time, all Villa really,

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Brady on, Grealish coming on too perhaps.

Goal!! Brady free kick, double headers and into the net.

Grealish on

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast