Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Harry Arter (M Nots Forrest b.1989)

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Nice to hear Caulkin saying he won't be declaring for Ireland, Ireland have enough writers as it is.

(this may not make any sense).
    Last edited by tricky_colour; 07/10/2016 at 6:47 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-35113391.html
    Daft Arter episode an embarrassing consequence of irresponsible tweeting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    I, for one, would like to apologize unreservedly for my prominent role in this sordid affair.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    There is possibly a lot of insecurity among many fans after Grealish's actions. I for one never thought Arter would choose England, but I recognise the fear. CALM down now Tricky and Stu! :-)

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    In do reporting After received vile insults after it was reportedly he might switch. If true, I am truly embarrassed by this.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,096 Posts
    Social media really does serve to highlight how stupid some people can be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/socc...ight-1.2821560

Oddly, the Arter story becomes a little more complicated with hindsight. During calls made in connection with this article, it was suggested that doubts had been expressed within the Ireland set-up about the player’s commitment – it really was as tenuous as that but even that would have been enough, perhaps, to justify questioning O’Neill on the issue.
    This is interesting. I wonder why there were doubts.
    It is not clear on this occasion whether the Irish management team felt he might, at a stretch, have pushed himself so as to be available to play despite an injury that scans suggested was not that serious, but both O’Neill and Roy Keane said publicly that they believed it was his prerogative to withdraw from the squad if he did not feel right.
    Some of my confusion lied in the fact that he was so desperate to include himself in the Euros squad, and was disappointed to ultimately be left out, yet seemed to be making himself unavailable for selection as soon as the squad met up for these two games - despite an innocuous enough injury.

If McCarthy could have started the Georgia game, surely Arter could have made himself available.

Just my two cents.

Anyways. Good to see he's reiterated his commitment. Pity about the abuse on Twitter, but every country has its idiots.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Wtf has McCarthy being fit to play got to do with Arter not being fit to play? It's not too long ago you were accusing McCarthy of lacking commitment and not playing when he could have, now you're using him as an example that others should follow. The injuries aren't even comparable anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    And yet the Sunday Indo ads on radio keep going on about the Harry Arter SAGA!!!

Unbelievable.

FWIW I really like Dan McDonnell and it grates on me that he writes for INM.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    This is interesting. I wonder why there were doubts.

Some of my confusion lied in the fact that he was so desperate to include himself in the Euros squad, and was disappointed to ultimately be left out, yet seemed to be making himself unavailable for selection as soon as the squad met up for these two games - despite an innocuous enough injury.

If McCarthy could have started the Georgia game, surely Arter could have made himself available.

Just my two cents.

Anyways. Good to see he's reiterated his commitment. Pity about the abuse on Twitter, but every country has its idiots.
    Are you familiar with the media term "dogwhistle"?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I'm pretty positive I was one of the few sticking up for McCarthy when Trapattoni seemed to be doing his utmost to encourage him and Wilson to defect.

And yeah the injuries aren't comparable. McCarthy was probably a lot more touch and go than Arter yet he came in and started after a month long absence.

I don't think Arter would miss a game for Bournemouth in these circumstances. O'Neill and Keane's body language doesn't assuage my doubts about that.

Just my two cents without casting aspersions on his commitment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    You don't know what you're talking about though, Arter knows his own body and it's idle speculation on your part to suggest he would or wouldn't play in the same circumstances for Bournemouth, and I'm sure I've seen you post similar stuff about McCarthy with regards playing for Everton and not us. Arter played through the pain not so long ago and ended up doing himself further damage, I'm sure he said something about learning from that experience. McCarthy made a timely recovery from his operation, Arter picked up an untimely knock from our point of view. Nothing to see here.

Were you even on here when Trap was in charge? I've no idea what you mean by "one of the few".

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    I'm pretty positive I was one of the few sticking up for McCarthy when Trapattoni seemed to be doing his utmost to encourage him and Wilson to defect.

And yeah the injuries aren't comparable. McCarthy was probably a lot more touch and go than Arter yet he came in and started after a month long absence.

I don't think Arter would miss a game for Bournemouth in these circumstances. O'Neill and Keane's body language doesn't assuage my doubts about that.

Just my two cents without casting aspersions on his commitment.
    According to your profile, you joined foot.ie in December 2012, James McCarthy made his debut for Ireland in March 2010. So either you're lying about it, or you posted under a previous account.
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 09/10/2016 at 8:19 PM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

16. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Towk's views on respective severity of injuries simply reflect what he wants to believe. Keith Andrews said he could see he was clearly injured in Bournemouth's last match. That's a better informed view than anything else that has been written.

And digressing slightly, Walters was a country mile better than Long on Thursday. Another TOWK hobby horse addressed.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    And digressing slightly, Walters was a country mile better than Long on Thursday. Another TOWK hobby horse addressed.
    Ah now, how long is your country mile? I'm a Walters fan but he's off the boil, possibly won't see his best again.

19. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    One sumptuous cross for McClean, another lovely ball across the 6 yard box that nobody attacked. Rare moments of quality in an otherwise agricultural performance from the team. Maybe not a country mile but noticeably more impressive in my opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson View Post
    Ah now, how long is your country mile? I'm a Walters fan but he's off the boil, possibly won't see his best again.
    So far in the entire first half of this game, he had one good one-two with Coleman and won a free kick in a dangerous area just before the Moldovan goal. He touched the ball maybe once or twice apart from that.

Compare that to Long, McClean and Hoolahan, who aside from all being involved in our goal have had far more of an impact on this game.

His performance against Georgia wasn't any better.

Stutts literally mentioned the only two instances in that game where he did anything of note.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    You don't know what you're talking about though, Arter knows his own body and it's idle speculation on your part to suggest he would or wouldn't play in the same circumstances for Bournemouth, and I'm sure I've seen you post similar stuff about McCarthy with regards playing for Everton and not us. Arter played through the pain not so long ago and ended up doing himself further damage, I'm sure he said something about learning from that experience. McCarthy made a timely recovery from his operation, Arter picked up an untimely knock from our point of view. Nothing to see here.

Were you even on here when Trap was in charge? I've no idea what you mean by "one of the few".
    O'Neill and Keane seem to think he could've played. He picked up the injury in a match for Bournemouth and went on to complete the 90 minutes. I'm sure he'll be back in the starting line-up for their next game. McCarthy wasn't given much of a hope of playing any part in these two games but has started both. Hendrick even travelled with the team to Moldova despite being suspended.

I just think it's a bit odd. He seemed to rule himself out as soon as the squad assembled for what has been referred to several times as an innocuous injury.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Why would he not want to play?

Show me the quotes where O'Neill and Keane seem to think he could have played. At best it's a very loose interpretation of what they have said.

Hendrick travelling with the squad is fantastic I think, really admirable. But he doesn't have an injury so it's completely irrelevant.

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    And what are you on about regarding Trap/McCarthy?
    Last edited by DeLorean; 09/10/2016 at 9:54 PM.

Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast