Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Harry Arter (M Nots Forrest b.1989)

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    That grounds man is a genius........

Train your own players to take penalties on his moving penalty spot area...opposition players will be bamboozled .....
    It's all down to Uri

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    What you said about Arter going go karting - I sincerely hope that's not true (at least the way you are portraying it). I know he had an injury prior to the Wales game and they (Bournemouth) pulled him out having given him every opportunity to make it. Harry has shown enough commitment to the cause for me. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.
    Arter didn't head off go-karting by himself. The entire Bournemouth squad were taken go-karting by the club for team-bonding purposes: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...ion-Dubai.html

I'm guessing that's Arter fifth from left?

Either way, I don't think it's a big deal and there's no reason for anyone to be assuming or suggesting that O'Neill will be demoting or punishing Arter as a result.

Going go-karting with his club doesn't mean that Arter would have been fit or ready to play against Wales and/or Iceland, nor is it some sort of proof that he wasn't otherwise undergoing club-supervised rehab whilst in Dubai. Rehab doesn't necessitate injured and recovering players devoting 24 hours a day to whatever their rehabilitation programme happens to be and Arter was hardly going to boycott a collective club activity or team-bonding exercise; in fact, spending 24 hours a day on rehab exercises would be to the player's detriment. As an experienced football manager, Martin O'Neill will obviously be fully aware of this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Don't the players who assemble for the Irish squad usually have an afternoon off to play golf, or go paint balling, or whatever?
    I'm not buying any "if he was fit enough for go-karting, he was fit to play for Ireland" argument either.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    As regards Arter karting, he may have gone with the team but did he kart ?
    Indeed, I can't find any evidence that he was actually driving a kart. (Not that it would necessarily invalidate the injury/rehab assertion anyway even if there was.)

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Jesus Danny. Did you actually seek evidence that he karted?

Who cares (part from TOWK obviously) if he karted? Different muscles / activity type entirely. He plays for a rich football club with modern medical facilities and protocols and good medical staff. They should know what his rehab should and should not allow.

We can speculate whether Arter could have bust a gut to make himself available for Ireland but to me this looks much more like TOWK being scurrilous with his "Arter prefers a lads' jolly than playing for Ireland" insinuation. It looks like he's available for tonight's game but bear in mind the Wales game was 12 days ago. That's plenty of time for a strain to clear up. Usually a strain only means a short layoff. How often have we heard managers say "the game came just a day too early for him"?

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Jesus Danny. Did you actually seek evidence that he karted?
    Heh, not exactly. I was intrigued by the original claim that he was go-karting and by how it was (negatively) framed, so I did a quick Google search the other day and found out from one or two search results that it was a team-bonding exercise. When I say I haven't found any evidence, I just mean I didn't see any mention of Arter karting in the articles I read, nor did any of the articles' photos feature him actually sitting in a kart.

I fully agree with what you say though.

It looks like he's available for tonight's game but bear in mind the Wales game was 12 days ago. That's plenty of time for a strain to clear up. Usually a strain only means a short layoff. How often have we heard managers say "the game came just a day too early for him"?
    Not sure if you're aware, but Arter actually played the second half for Bournemouth against Southampton (and missed a penalty) last Sunday. He started on the bench. Not that that's some sort of indication that he was feigning (the seriousness of) his injury either, mind.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    that gave him three weeks to recover from the injury, and he still wasn't fit enough for 90 minutes. Can't see how anyone can argue he could have played against Wales.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    that gave him three weeks to recover from the injury, and he still wasn't fit enough for 90 minutes. Can't see how anyone can argue he could have played against Wales.
    Let's forget about the whole Wales argument. I think it is fairly certain that he couldn't play against Wales. It was said on the Monday before the game and no one had an issue with the news at that time, so those folks who are second guessing now are really splitting hairs. On a more positive note, Harry played at Anfield tonight and put in a pretty decent shift in a 2-2 draw against the Merseysiders. He's a tidy passer of the ball and can find a good through ball on occasion. Midfield options are beginning to permeate me head now for the Austria game - Arter, McCarthy, Hoolahan, O'Kane, Hendrick, Brady

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    You need a good engine for Go Karting.

14. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Harry may be Go-Karting for the Austria game.....James McCarthy should try Go-Karting........it certainly helped get Harry fit.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I don't think Roy Keane would be in and out of the Leeds team though. He was also let go by Bournemouth so I wouldn't place too much hopes on him. Whelan plays regularly in the EPL. It would be great of course if he developed in to such a player.

As regards Arter karting, he may have gone with the team but did he kart ? I would be surprised that someone nursing an injury would risk aggravating it karting.
    There were pictures on COWS of him go karting. I shared your surprise.

I personally think MON will have taken a dim view of the fact he didn't show more fight to feature against Wales and/or Iceland; at least present himself so we could inspect the injury.

Everyone I went to the match with shared the same opinion.

Silver clouds. O'Kane and Gleeson have done themselves favors.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    If he was go-karting on cows, that's completely out of order. Particularly in a halal country.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    What is COWS?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Are these COWS ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    What is COWS?
    One of these?: Center on Wisconsin Strategy; Computers on Wheels; Carry on Wayward Son (song); Classic Old West Styles; Clinical Opiate Withdrawal Scale; Cold Opposite, Warm Same (medical term); Casks Of Wine Society (Melbourne University, Australia); "Can You Hear Me? Open Your Eyes. What's Your Name? Squeeze My Hand." (first aid); or, Completing Our Work Successfully.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    'Computers on Wheels' looks the most likely. Maybe Harry was on his laptop whilst setting course records, endangering himself even further.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    There were pictures on COWS of him go karting. I shared your surprise.

I personally think MON will have taken a dim view of the fact he didn't show more fight to feature against Wales and/or Iceland; at least present himself so we could inspect the injury.

Everyone I went to the match with shared the same opinion.

Silver clouds. O'Kane and Gleeson have done themselves favors.
    Can I be a doubting Thomas and not believe it until I put my finger in the wound, or in this case see the hard evidence in the form of a photo. And even if he did, obviously Bournemouth didn't regard it as an issue

I am sure MON gave him permission not to show as he hardly didn't bother turning up without informing anyone. You are putting your thoughts in MON's head about Arter not showing "more fight to feature against Wales and/or Iceland". Try not view everything that Arter does from a negative point of view because you're not a fan. He's one of ours. Give him the benefit of the doubt.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    It really does boggle the mind that all of this doubt comes from a throwaway comment by Paul Merson

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Can I be a doubting Thomas and not believe it until I put my finger in the wound, or in this case see the hard evidence in the form of a photo. And even if he did, obviously Bournemouth didn't regard it as an issue

I am sure MON gave him permission not to show as he hardly didn't bother turning up without informing anyone. You are putting your thoughts in MON's head about Arter not showing "more fight to feature against Wales and/or Iceland". Try not view everything that Arter does from a negative point of view because you're not a fan. He's one of ours. Give him the benefit of the doubt.

Not everything is black and white. While I think Arter is overrated, I would still have him ahead of O'Kane and Gleeson in the team. The two things are not mutually exclusive.

I think the lad had a relatively minor injury. I don't think he handled things correctly. I think he should have followed protocol and reported for duty so we could be satisfied that he was in no condition to feature against Wales or Iceland; the same way Murphy and McCarthy did.

I would've thought go karting wouldn't have been high on his list of priorities in Dubai if he was struggling. Any road, there have been pictures circulating of him training all week.

It would be interesting to hear what MON or Keane have to say about it, but unfortunately it looks like nobody chose to grill them on it.

I've posted several comments from O'Neill re: McCarthy and Murphy that one could choose to interpret cryptically: "he's giving himself a chance,".

Looking at it from the lad's POV, he's 27 years old, he's approaching his peak, it took him almost a decade to reach the Championship and he's already missed portions of this season and last season.

He probably decided to cut his losses on this gathering, and I personally think it will affect O'Neill's thinking going forward.

The same way it has with Westwood and Pilkington, who I actually think O'Neill has been somewhat harsh on - though I do think Randolph is better than Westwood any road.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Any road? Watching a bit too much Corrie, Towk...

28. Thanks From:

Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast