Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: DDSL vs SFAI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    What this needs is smaller counties backing Cork,i know Cork would have fancied there chances if Dublin teams wee thrown out,so if maybe Limerick,kerry and Galway teams pulled out and joined Cork then the Fai would have to listen.
    Fail to prepare,prepare to fail--R.keane.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    The FAI are now tied to the DDSL and their €500k golden handshake so don't expect to see them wade back in to right their wrong. If any league pulls out, as Cork have done the competition will merely roll on without them as the DDSL are at the wheel now and they aint stopping for anyone who jumps off. A sad state of affairs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    There is now plenty of time to arrange an alternative "National Cup" for next season. I'm sure a lot more leagues will come on board. You just need to agree on a format and lobby all leagues around Ireland to participate. If the DDSL is acting up again, you just start the "alternative" cup and pull out at the very start.
    Or even easier... get all the leagues to agree that when the DDSL/SFAI/FAI pull a stunt like this next season, proceed with the SFAI fixtures without the DDSL teams included and outside the SFAI.
    But the agreement between all the leagues will have to be there on forehand so the SFAI knows that everyone means business and that there is a backup plan in place in case of any messing....
    Just one or 2 leagues pulling out now won't do anyone any good.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Rory, it's not that simple. All other leagues started their 'qualification' rounds on time with a non seeded draw as per the SFAI Cup rules. The DDSL flatly refused to do so and have dragged this prestigious childrens football competition into the mire. It should be noted that this is the SFAI Cup and not the DDSL Cup so it's the SFAI who supposedly set the rules. Now what you have is the DDSL belatedly playing games making all the other clubs who qualified months ago wait for the outcome of their 'rigged' / seeded draw which will obviously see all their big guns safely through to the last 32. All the DDSL want is to have a totally skewed playing field in their favour at the expense of everyone else.

Why should the other leagues form a national competition when there is a perfectly good one in existence already if only the DDSL would abide by the rules of said SFAI competition. They broke the rules and should be out end of story.

The DDSL are a law onto themselves and obviously their €500k tie in with the FAI re Abbotstown is now paying huge dividends for them in that they got their way against the express wishes of EVERY other schoolboy league in the country. The SFAI only relented and allowed the DDSL back in when they were threatened with being disbanded by the FAI.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    You've summed it up there perfectly ballymoreman

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Again, I agree totally with you Ballymoreman! We have a good competition as it is, if everyone plays by the rules. I would like you to read my post again or I will try to explain what I mean a bit better below:
    What are you going to do if the DDSL starts messing again next season? If the other leagues don't prepare now, they will me made to look stupid once more like this year. Pulling out now will only make you look more silly as most leagues will not follow. What you need is a plan for next season in case something like this happens again. So I mean......have a backup plan instead of just rolling over which is what will happen this year. Not ideal but that way there will be a competition for the players and the SFAI might not accommodate the DDSL the year after..

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Rory, I do see what you are saying but thats not addressing the farce of 2013/2014 and you are therefore basically allowing the DDSl to dictate the rules of a competition they didnt organise. I absolutely guarantee you that if any other league in the country tried it on like that they would have been out on their ear, opposition teams would have been handed walkovers and the competition would have proceeded without them.

"All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Yes, but I don't think there is much you can do about the farce of 2013/14. You already know my view on pulling out at this stage and I don't think this will hurt the DDSL or SFAI at all. All I say is make sure this can not happen again next season......and have some sort of alternative ready in case they are at it again. If not......the same will happen over and over again as it has for years I believe?
    Last edited by Rory; 04/02/2014 at 11:45 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    The cork teams have said they will play in the original draw so haven't pulled out at all as such it's really the sfai or fai are choosing to use second draw so are basically excluding them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Kerry are meeting on thurs and it looks like they will follow cork and pull out.
    Fail to prepare,prepare to fail--R.keane.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Balinasloe Town first club outside cork to pull out

14. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Yes, I heard Ballinasloe have pulled their U16 team alright. Very sad that they find themselves in that position.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Not all teams from Cork have pulled out it seems...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rory View Post
    Not all teams from Cork have pulled out it seems...
    Yes Bandon u14 are undecided

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    It's a difficult call to make.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    I think it's bandons first time getting as far as the last 32 open draw

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    I have been following this story without any great understanding of the balance of power and political fault lines present in schoolboy football.

Also, I want to make it clear that I have no axe to grind whatsoever, although I admit that the financial relationship between FAI and DDSL looks "inelegant" to say the least.

However, I have long felt that Irish football's structures need ripping up and starting again. There are too many competing factions in Irish football and the FAI has lost control. I suspect certain individuals in the FAI benefit from this - everyone votes for the status quo at the AGM because they're allowed to keep control of their own fiefdom while the FAI bods keep their jobs.

So, to what extent does this standoff present the opportunity for a fresh start, especially if SFAI can't survive? Is the SFAI really a force for good in Irish football? Would the FAI - assuming the right individuals held the key roles -not be better off running schoolboy football, especially if it contributed to a more joined up domestic game?

I am told that the NDSL is doing super things with regard to coaching kids and delaying competition until kids have the technique etc. I am also told that South Dublin is in the stone age still. Would it not be best for everyone if something like the NDSL model was the national model, fully coordinated by one single entity also with a mandate to join up underage football to all levels of "grown up" football, junior, intermediate and senior?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I agree Stuttgart. We need change. We need people running the SFAI with a passion for the game and a drive to improve the standard of schoolboy/girl football across the country. The guys that are there now seem to be of the type "politician" and will just destroy the game as they have no interest in progressing and just do as they are told by the FAI in fear of losing their cosey jobs.
    Schoolboy football might as well be handed over to the FAI as they are already in charge of the "Regional Development/Emerging Talent" across the country and also the Kickstart and Junior cert courses are run/developed by the FAI. Not sure if we need a separate body (SFAI) to organize whatever is left after that.

22. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    I'm sure the FAI will ask the DDSL if it's ok that they administer the schoolboy game.

I am amazed that the SFAI's existence is being questioned here when the DDSL have clearly broken both their own rules and the rules of the SFAI cups in taking the line that they did to the detriment of the game and then blatantly and brazenly colluded with the FAI so they get their own way.

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    The SFAI has not done anything to develop Schoolboy football for as long as I can remember. It might be slightly off topic but it always seems to be the FAI that it taking initiative to develop the schoolboy game in Ireland whith coach education and elite player development (which I do not agree with btw). I do agree that the FAI should not have done what they did and are the cause of this National Cup shambles, but they have shown to have more interest in Schoolboy football than the SFAI.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast