Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Sean Maguire F Carlisle United b.1994

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Video of his third goal last night: https://twitter.com/brianrohancork/s...61464608763908

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    when will he actually leave for preston? i mean he is still available for the AEK tie? and if they get throgh any chance of convincing Preston that he'd be beter off doing "pre-seasson" in the Europa League?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,310 Posts
    He's definitely available for the first leg this week, not sure about the second

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Yed hope if they do get through but it might not be just about pre season fitness etc. There are contractual implications also. What happens if he got injured? Are there 1 month loans that aren't emergencies? It might not be just as striaghtforward as ah sur go on keep him another couple a weeks.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Yed hope if they do get through but it might not be just about pre season fitness etc. There are contractual implications also. What happens if he got injured? Are there 1 month loans that aren't emergencies? It might not be just as striaghtforward as ah sur go on keep him another couple a weeks.
    Hoping upon hope that he doesn't get injured. He needs a good start and a good season at Preston (would love for him at the same time to stay at Cork and see how far he could take them in Europe). But his season at Preston has already been jeopardized by his not taking a month long break (a la an end of season break before getting started on a long 10 month slog in the Championship). He will hit a wall some time around January / February and will be susceptible to injuries if he doesn't get some sort of rest. We badly need him in the national team though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Maguire and Kevin O'Connor will both move from Cork to Preston on the 24th of July: https://www.eirsport.ie/o-connor-signs-for-preston

That means both will be available for the second leg of Cork's game against AEK.

There's a good article by Paul Dollery of The42.ie here on Maguire and the ups and downs of his career to date: http://www.the42.ie/sean-maguire-int...80472-Jul2017/

He also scored another goal (a penalty) today as Cork beat St. Pat's 1-0 in Turners Cross.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Pat Dolan tells Cork's 96FM that he's appalled by the fact Maguire has yet to receive an international cap: http://www.the42.ie/pat-dolan-sean-m...89307-Jul2017/

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Dolan
    Forwards are so important. We had John O’Flynn and George O’Callaghan who were just sensational. Roy O’Donovan and Denis Behan, guys like that. But also guys like Kevin Doyle and Shane Long who went on to become internationals – they were all sensational players. But what I like about Seanie is that he has got that Waterford blood in his veins and that he has had so many disappointments.

Dundalk released him and you’re thinking where does he go from there? He had been to England and was released. Comes back home, he goes to Dundalk and can’t get in that side and is left out. But what does he do? He comes back into the Cup final [in 2016] and scores the winning goal! Of course he's a great goalscorer, of course he should be capped by our country. For him to have had this season so far and for us to be so many points clear at the top of the table and not to have gotten an international cap under Martin O’Neill – well, for me that’s just appalling.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    And he does this while likening him to four players who were never capped...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I thought he was a Kilkenny man? Are his parents from Waterford or something?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    He is from kilkenny and until he does the business in a fully Pro league he should remain uncapped

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    I'm pretty sure he's a Kilkenny man alright. Played his underage football with Evergreen I believe. They're around five or ten miles south of Kilkenny City.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    He is from kilkenny and until he does the business in a fully Pro league he should remain uncapped
    Scoring 19 goals this season, and a hat-trick in Europe, shouldn't count then because he's playing in the League of Ireland?

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Scoring 19 goals this season, and a hat-trick in Europe, shouldn't count then because he's playing in the League of Ireland?
    hat-trick against some team in Estonia nobody has ever heard of doesn't warrant a call-up. Cillian Sheridan deserves a call up, not Sean Maguire.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by livehead1 View Post
    hat-trick against some team in Estonia nobody has ever heard of doesn't warrant a call-up. Cillian Sheridan deserves a call up, not Sean Maguire.
    Playing for some team in Poland that nobody has ever heard of? I don't see how Sheridan is playing at that much a higher level than Maguire currently. Similar footballing standards as far as I'm concerned.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,310 Posts
    to be fair, a Polish team did knock Dundalk out of the Champions League last season
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Playing for some team in Poland that nobody has ever heard of? I don't see how Sheridan is playing at that much a higher level than Maguire currently. Similar footballing standards as far as I'm concerned.
    To be fair to Sheridan and Jagiellonia, the Polish league is a decent level and the club finished second last year after having led for most of the season. The Polish league is definitely of a higher standard than Scotland, for example, and the stats support this contention. As of this season, it's ranked the 18th-best league in Europe. For comparison, Scotland is presently ranked 27th and we're in 36th. I watched quite a few of Sheridan's games last season; the football was quick and technically good. Jagiellonia regularly filled their 22,000-seater stadium to capacity and Poland is a country of nearly 40 million people, so it's hardly as if nobody has ever heard of them either.

Anyway, my point is that I don't think it's necessary to denigrate Jagiellonia or the level at which Sheridan is playing in order to make a case for Maguire's inclusion in the international set-up. I think both players have done enough to justify call-ups.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    to be fair, a Polish team did knock Dundalk out of the Champions League last season
    ...before beating Sporting Lisbon and drawing with Real Madrid!

23. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    No, because he's not from Waterford.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Btw I hope Seanie does it in England and then gets called up and does it for Ireland. But lets wait and see. Mon and Roy saw the lad score a hatrick when we needed a back up striker V Austria and didn't call him up. The league of ireland has been brilliant, because its an excellent stepping stone for our international squad. But those players have had to do it first in the premiership or the likes

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    When talking about a potential call-up for Maguire, we should bear in mind that our forward options for the rest of the campaign are surely Long, Walters and Murphy plus McGoldrick or Doyle based on the level they play at and their international experience. Some spots will probably open up in a year's time and Maguire should be assessed at that point - the coming season will give us the opportunity for a clearer comparison with our other Championship strikers: McGoldrick, Will Keane, Aiden O'Brien, Joe Mason and possibly Reece Grego-Cox. Unless he really tears things up in the first couple of months, which would be great.

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast