Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Sean Maguire F Carlisle United b.1994

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    The issue with Maguire playing against Uruguay is that Cork will be playing Dundalk the same weekend. They won't want to be losing their main man for such a fixture and O'Neill would use it as an excuse as well. I think it's abundantly clear that he won't be given his chance.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,611 Posts
    I think he needs to continue to prove himself to be far too good for our league for anyone to feel that MON is doing the wrong thing. His success in England was limited although he was very young and did score goals at a somewhat decent level. If he can stay on fire between now and the next friendly, then the case for MON to call him up becomes stronger - irrespective of Cork's schedule.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    I think he needs to continue to prove himself to be far too good for our league for anyone to feel that MON is doing the wrong thing. His success in England was limited although he was very young and did score goals at a somewhat decent level. If he can stay on fire between now and the next friendly, then the case for MON to call him up becomes stronger - irrespective of Cork's schedule.
    Agreed. 7 goals wasn't bad for a 20 year old at Accrington Stanley. Wasn't he unlucky with injuries too and I think he had a serious drought at the start there which was a carry-on from a drought at Sligo. Confidence was his issue at Sligo, if I remember correctly. I can remember a poster saying he looked quality but couldn't buy a goal.

His drought is referenced here at Accrington:
    http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk...75499.display/

Confidence player he might be. And the confidence is brimming. He looked quality setting up Sheppard's first on Saturday. It's a real pity he's not given a crack. I don't think Caulfield could refuse him the Ireland cap either!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I'd find it difficult to envisage any manager releasing his best player for a friendly international if it'd mean said player missing what may potentially be a title-decider.

Even if it would be an opportunity for the player to make his international debut, there'd simply be too much to lose at stake for the manager. He'd never be forgiven if a decision he wasn't compelled to make cost his club the league.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    I'd find it difficult to envisage any manager releasing his best player for a friendly international if it'd mean said player missing what may potentially be a title-decider.

Even if it would be an opportunity for the player to make his international debut, there'd simply be too much to lose at stake for the manager. He'd never be forgiven if a decision he wasn't compelled to make cost his club the league.
    June would be a very early point in the season and a very early point at which to disgruntle your prizes asset and scorer, were he to be made aware of contact.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    I thought Doyle showed more in the 20 mins before he was injured against Slovakia (?) than Murphy did pre Euros. A year in has he deteriorated or was he just feeding off scraps? I think more the latter, but it's hard to know.

With regard to Maguire and the timing of the next game, it should be pretty simple for O'Neill to tell the FAI soon if he'd be interested in picking him on merit and then the FAI can give both clubs time to rearrange the fixture. I think it'd be terrible if a league match was used as an excuse not to pick a domestic player. The FAI is totally in control of this situation as of now.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 31/03/2017 at 11:23 AM.

8. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I thought Doyle showed more in the 20 mins before he was injured against Slovakia (?) than Murphy did pre Euros. A year in has he deteriorated or was he just feeding off scraps? I think more the latter, but it's hard to know.

With theatre to Maguire and the timing of the next game, it should be pretty simple for O'Neill to tell the FAI soon if he'd be interested in picking him on merit and then the FAI can give both clubs time to rearrange the fixture. I think it'd be terrible if a league match was used as an excuse not to pick a domestic player. The FAI is totally in control of this situation as of now.
    Agree with all of this. The league should and will have plenty of time to cancel the Cork/Dundalk game if MON so desires to pick Maguire. And at this stage I say why not? Let's look at Maguire. Let's look at Paddy Madden and McAlaney. Heck, with such a dearth of Irish strikers out there why not go down as far as Glen McCauley at this stage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,611 Posts
    Just got the opener for Cork tonight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Kerrnel of Truth.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-35582750.html

Kerr preaches caution as it pertains to LOI call-ups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Eamonn Sweeney on Seán Maguire the other day
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-35585508.html

Linked with Preston & Charlton today
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...c2d994b5ae.jpg

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Kerrnel of Truth.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-35582750.html

Kerr preaches caution as it pertains to LOI call-ups.
    Of course there's a difference in quality, but Horgan and Doyle didn't get significantly better in a space of a few months. There are players in the league capable of breaching the gap in quality. Similar to those in lower leagues in England who get a chance here and there. No one is saying to start calling up heaps of LOI players, but there's no Ryanair plane magic that makes players better once they reach England.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    Of course there's a difference in quality, but Horgan and Doyle didn't get significantly better in a space of a few months. There are players in the league capable of breaching the gap in quality. Similar to those in lower leagues in England who get a chance here and there. No one is saying to start calling up heaps of LOI players, but there's no Ryanair plane magic that makes players better once they reach England.
    I kinda used to feel dirty after flying with Ryanair . I haven't used them for ages and I now feel a more wholesome individual....Still not international standard footballer admittedly.......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Out of interest, what's Maguire's background and where was he raised? His Wikipedia article says he was born in Luton, although I'm guessing he grew up in Ireland, judging by his accent. However, in the video below (at 0m30s), he also speaks of family having come over from England to watch him play in last season's FAI Cup final:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Out of interest, what's Maguire's background and where was he raised? His Wikipedia article says he was born in Luton, although I'm guessing he grew up in Ireland, judging by his accent. However, in the video below (at 0m30s), he also speaks of family having come over from England to watch him play in last season's FAI Cup final:

He was born in Luton and grew up in Kilkenny. Not sure whether his parents were emigrants or if they're English.

18. Thanks From:

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Until they get to a better league though, it's hard to tell just how good they actually are.

I think that in general, the level of players Maguire is proving himself better than is just not high enough in LOI.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Until they get to a better league though, it's hard to tell just how good they actually are.

I think that in general, the level of players Maguire is proving himself better than is just not high enough in LOI.
    I don't argue that point in theory, but we've literally had players get a call up when they touch down in England, long before they've ever proven themselves in a better league. Then we also have players like Doyle getting a call up when we know he's past it at that level and he offers little in terms of looking to the future.

I'm by no means claiming Seani is the solution to Ireland's striker needs and will succeed internationally, but I don't see any reason he doesn't deserve a shot in a friendly, in comparison to others we're calling up for the same.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Yeah, I just see this as a bit of an exceptional circumstance. We badly need a striker and we've got a standout one at LOI level. It doesn't mean every player who reaches Maguire's level has earned the right to be called up, but needs must. I didn't see the point in calling up Boyle and Horgan ahead of him when they were still at Dundalk either to be honest. Nothing against those two at all but they play in positions where we're well stocked. In that sense I think they were token call ups on the back of what Dundalk had done in Europe, but Maguire would have been a far more pragmatic addition.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    I don't argue that point in theory, but we've literally had players get a call up when they touch down in England, long before they've ever proven themselves in a better league.
    It doesn't really affect what I said, but it's very true and very annoying, just a ROI manager applying the same lazy thought process to a club manager's decision ("if they fancy him enough to sign him we should take a look at him too").

Anyway, I've no problem with him being called up at all. In a way, his presence in LOI makes him something of an unknown quantity in comparison to others we know the level of.
    Last edited by osarusan; 06/04/2017 at 3:03 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    I don't argue that point in theory, but we've literally had players get a call up when they touch down in England, long before they've ever proven themselves in a better league. Then we also have players like Doyle getting a call up when we know he's past it at that level and he offers little in terms of looking to the future.

I'm by no means claiming Seani is the solution to Ireland's striker needs and will succeed internationally, but I don't see any reason he doesn't deserve a shot in a friendly, in comparison to others we're calling up for the same.
    I guess you're thinking of Brian Lenihan? Any / many others?

Doyle looked very good in last May's friendly before injury. I'd say he can play at least to the same level as Murphy right now. He had no service against Iceland, we were woeful. Of course he's not the future but I think he was worth a call up for Wales.

I agree with regard to Maguire, your last sentence, 100%.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I saw a lot of the Dundalk players last year from watching the Europa games, and most of them particularly McEleney and Horgan stood out. I find it more difficult to judge LOI defenders that dont make the blunders compared to midfielders/wingers/forwards. Shiels looked good as did O'Donnell but was just lacking pace for the top level. Horgan and McEleney generally stood out, as did Massey and Gannon against any opposition they played against. I think you can judge players when they play against a certain level opposition without them playing consistently in a better league.

I watched Maguire in 2 or 3 matches last year, and particularly against Genk he was very ordinary. He didn't stand out in the same way the above players did. I think he would be found out playing for Ireland and wouldn't rise to the occassion.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast