Thread: Republic of Ireland V Serbia - Wednesday, 5th March 2014 - Friendly

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Martinez.
    The guy did have a journeyman playing career in Britain, which would set him apart from most of the other continental managers coming under scrutiny here.

2. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Aaron McCarey now starting at Wolves?

If the point is that none is immediately threatening the incumbents then I'd say that's fair enough. If the point is that he sees nobody in the 18-23 agre group challenging for a squad place in the next two yeras, well I'd be disappointed in such a remark.

Maybe we should get TOWK to interpret as he's the expert in deciphering the real meaning in peoples' remarks and sub-editors' headlines
    Ikeme is fit again so McCarey is back on the bench, which he'll presumably warm for the foreseeable future as the only other senior goalkeeper at the club.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanVsDalton View Post
    They get short shrift all right but part of the reason for that is the aul 'British premium' - established Irish players tend to be very expensive. The bidding for Coleman is going to be pretty outrageous.

If Sam Allardyce was managing Man City, he wouldn't be looking at bringing over Kevin Nolan, Matt Taylor and Joey O'Brien no matter how much he likes them.

Bang on with Benitez and Keane though. Did he actually say that about N'Gog? Holy god.
    I was exaggerating the part about N'Gog for extra effect.

Benitez did get Keane to sit down with some guy that never played football before and analyse where he was going wrong in terms of positioning etc... which rankled Robbie no end.
    Last edited by TheOneWhoKnocks; 21/02/2014 at 3:59 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Ah SvD come on you didnt think he really said that? And how would TOWK know?

Ya i remembered it being around end of march/april and a picture of delaney mid march going to a nice hotel for talks. He must spend a lot of time in nice hotels actually.

Fair point CTP, but thats probably the issue here, you go with what you know, Martinez has used both approaches he understands the english game and what kinda players suit it, but he also knows the spanish game. These foreign managers know the foreign games and are more comfortable with foreign players because they know their system, style, personality and what makes them tick. A foreign manager is hardly going to buy a nolan/obrien or noble , players he knows nothing about.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    There was a great documentary on BBC about Swansea's rise. When they took a risk on their player Martinez he told the chairman that he swore he could get out of the lower divisions by playing sophisticated, continental football. It was quite a visionary thing on the part of both club and Martinez.

Wrt the quality of players coming through I'm relaxed on one hand, concerned on the other. I think we'll always produce a bunch of decent enough players but we're relying on luck or a star to emerge.

We can't keep relying on English clubs taking a chance on our better players though, given that they are also now looking at the better underage players from all over the world. We need to change Irish football's institutions and structures so we can be more self sufficient.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 21/02/2014 at 5:17 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    You mean change Republic of Ireland institutions.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    I have said for a long time that the days of Jack Charltons statement that he would only pick first choice premiership players for the squad (I.e. If you're on the bench or at a lower level you better buck up) are long, long gone. As supporters we have failed to readjust our expectations in the meantime but specifically since the early 00s.

While we will hopefully continue to have a majority of our squad as premiership players, if not automatic starters, we need to accept that a) the rest will be upper Championship level players and b) we should accept and welcome the fact that our prospects in that 17-23 year category will break through at lower divisions. It is just a dose of realism.

And as I've said even longer is that our own destiny would be aided by a thriving domestic league providing a) young, experienced talent to foreign leagues and b) less realistically maybe but a couple of regular options for the senior squad. The responsibility for that falls squarely on the FAI. But let's not belabour that argument too much.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Let's not be overtly dramatic. Netherlands are one of the powerhouses in International football and a sizable chunk of their squad are playing in the Eredivisie, which isn't any better than The Championship outside of 3 or 4 teams. One of their highest profile players is currently in a relegation battle in Germany.

The teams that would be in or around Ireland's level all have players of a similar/lower standard to ours playing at a similar/lower level fleshing out their squads.

If we screw up in this Qualifying campaign, it isn't because we don't have the players.

The players, and everyone else, have to take some responsibility now and rise to the big occasions. It's just a pity that Trapattoni has set belief that we can contend with big teams back another 5 or 6 years.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    I have said for a long time that the days of Jack Charltons statement that he would only pick first choice premiership players for the squad (I.e. If you're on the bench or at a lower level you better buck up) are long, long gone. As supporters we have failed to readjust our expectations in the meantime but specifically since the early 00s.

While we will hopefully continue to have a majority of our squad as premiership players, if not automatic starters, we need to accept that a) the rest will be upper Championship level players and b) we should accept and welcome the fact that our prospects in that 17-23 year category will break through at lower divisions. It is just a dose of realism.

And as I've said even longer is that our own destiny would be aided by a thriving domestic league providing a) young, experienced talent to foreign leagues and b) less realistically maybe but a couple of regular options for the senior squad. The responsibility for that falls squarely on the FAI. But let's not belabour that argument too much.
    I think the problem is that Irish football fans want to see us produce great players but they're not prepared to do their part to see it happen. They want to see the results, not the process. They'll sing James McClean's name from the stands and call Trap senile for not picking him, but they're not interested in watching him tear it up for Derry, or Seamus Coleman for Sligo, etc. I don't have any expectations whatsoever for Keith Fahey bringing in the fans at Pat's, despite the fact any football fan should want to watch that team with our without Fats. That's the fundamental problem in Irish football - people want to see the best, but they don't want to see the transition.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Amen to that brudder.

It's not the Irish fans fault of course. It would be lovely to be able to rely solely on England to develop our players but unfortunately a combination of serious changes in European football markets and serious shortsightedness and negligence by the FAI has led us down this path.

Where there is culpability is, as you say, a collective failure to acknowledge, adjust and knuckle down.

But let's not belabour this point too much...

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Let's not be overtly dramatic. Netherlands are one of the powerhouses in International football and a sizable chunk of their squad are playing in the Eredivisie, which isn't any better than The Championship outside of 3 or 4 teams.
    Do you compare it to the Championship in terms of profile as a league or the standard of it ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Amen to that brudder.

It's not the Irish fans fault of course. It would be lovely to be able to rely solely on England to develop our players but unfortunately a combination of serious changes in European football markets and serious shortsightedness and negligence by the FAI has led us down this path.

Where there is culpability is, as you say, a collective failure to acknowledge, adjust and knuckle down.

But let's not belabour this point too much...
    I'm not sticking up for the FAI, but where exactly is the money supposed to come from? We all see talk about the FAI developing centres of excellence or whatever, but do we expect five home internationals a year to pay for it? The biggest impediment to the success of the Irish football team is the apathy of the fans.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    I assume Joey O'Brien is injured. The much maligned Green and Cox maintain their places. Not sure what Daryl Murphy adds. Can't remember when he got his last cap but it was a while ago and his scoring rate is very poor for a striker. Only really Andy Keogh and Conor Sammon miss out from the Trap era although Keogh had been dropped I think from his last few squads. Hendrick isn't starting for Derby (came on as a sub against Wednesday) and had been out with an injury for a while. He'll be back.
    Just been looking at his scoring, and decided to look at everyone else relevant as well

Code:
    Keane...16 in 23 season avg  0.69 career avg 0.36 (excluding galaxy games)
    Stokes. 11 in 37 season avg  0.30 career avg 0.37 
    Cox..... 8 in 31 season avg  0.26 career avg 0.29
    Murphy.. 8 in 31 season avg  0.26 career avg 0.16 
    Doyle... 5 in 32 season avg  0.16 career avg 0.27  
    Long.... 6 in 26 season avg  0.23 career avg 0.25 
    Walter.. 3 in 33 season avg  0.09 career avg 0.18
    Worth mentioning Coleman has 6 in 33!!
    Andy Reid 10 in 36 avg 0.28 career avg 0.12

It's a bit more complicated when you take account of the strength of the league and position played.
    So if you are looking for goals you are probably looking at Long Cox, or maybe you just clicked on the wrong link
    Last edited by tricky_colour; 22/02/2014 at 2:28 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I'm not sticking up for the FAI, but where exactly is the money supposed to come from? We all see talk about the FAI developing centres of excellence or whatever, but do we expect five home internationals a year to pay for it? The biggest impediment to the success of the Irish football team is the apathy of the fans.
    The FAI used to have money, quite a bit of it. This is not a recent development. I think the shortsightedness of the FAI fuelled and legitimized the apathy of the fans. There's probably no one group to point the finger solely at (except Jean-Marc Bosman )

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-...rbia_1_3344476

It seem Murphy was selected because O'Neil went to Ipswich to see McGoldrick but he got injured
    so rather than waste the cost of the trip he got the next best thing.

(I jest somewhat )

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Charlie,

I can't agree with you on the use of the word 'apathy'. People don't buy mediocre products and what Trap offered was very mediocre. Maybe O'Neill can change this by being successful. The LOI needs a absolute makeover as it too is considered to be a mediocre product by many potential supporters. As you implied, there is no money or the potential of money to fund a centre of excellence, unless we can get someone like Denis O'Brien to fund such a venture.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    I do often wonder if it is even within the FAIs power to change Irish football, the power of the entrenched interests is so great. On the other hand I suspect the FAI empowers these interests by leaving them do their thing while the FAI is left alone to do theirs. A Faustian pact between the FAI and the problematic factions.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    There will be no political fighting to secure a favourable order of games once the groups are decided in the morning.
    Instead, a UEFA system will determine the fixture list later in the day, with matches spread out across what is being styled as the 'Week of Football' – meaning that ties around the continent will be staggered from Thursday to Tuesday for double header windows in the qualifying phase. Ireland could end up involved in qualifiers on Sunday and Monday nights, a major departure from the norm.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Ah SvD come on you didnt think he really said that? And how would TOWK know?
    It's Rafa - I'd believe anything with that guy! Thought it might've been public knowledge that slipped by me.

There will be no political fighting to secure a favourable order of games once the groups are decided in the morning.
    Instead, a UEFA system will determine the fixture list later in the day, with matches spread out across what is being styled as the 'Week of Football' – meaning that ties around the continent will be staggered from Thursday to Tuesday for double header windows in the qualifying phase. Ireland could end up involved in qualifiers on Sunday and Monday nights, a major departure from the norm.
    So the fixtures out by tomorrow evening then? Quick turnaround. I'd forgotten about this 'week of football' idea, will be interesting to see how this looks.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast