Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Serbia - Wednesday, 5th March 2014 - Friendly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Green hasn't been getting his game either. Hendrick is a far better footballer.
    I wouldn't disagree with that, in principle, but Green has done well for us and has earned his place in the squad on that basis. Things seem fairly shambolic at Leeds anyway, hopefully things will go better for him at Ipswich. He is certainly good enough to play for a top half Championship side on a regular basis.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Green's started and come off the bench in the last two games for Ipswich
    He's still lacking sharpness after not playing for several months though. I think Hendrick may be a little sharper and riding the crest of a wave with the rest of that Derby team.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Robbie Keane implied he would retire from International football if he was so much as dropped to the bench. I really don't see how not being in the squad because of an injury/fitness issues has anything to do with that.
    Untrue and a gross and deliberate misinterpretation of what he said but this has been well covered in other threads.

Daryl Murphy has scored 44 in 255 games. What he would bring is some physicality but we have that already up front. Certainly would not bring the scoring touch or ability of a Robbie Keane. Not one for the future and I would have preferred if someone like Adam Rooney was given a chance.

I think Hendrick may be a little sharper and riding the crest of a wave with the rest of that Derby team.
    Do you work for Sky with those football cliches?
    Last edited by OwlsFan; 20/02/2014 at 1:06 PM.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Robbie Keane implied he would retire from International football if he was so much as dropped to the bench. I really don't see how not being in the squad because of an injury/fitness issues has anything to do with that.
    Whether or not that was what Robbie implied (and I don't believe it was), my comment was light ribbing. Don't take what I said too seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by SwanVsDalton View Post
    Welcome back Daryl Murphy. Thought his national ship had sailed long ago, but he must be doing something right. I've never rated him all that highly, but if we're looking for a second physical option after Walters, he's probably a shade better than Sammon. Plus always good to see more former LOI guys in.
    Keane obviously rates Murphy. Murphy played under Keane at Sunderland with Keane later signing him on loan for Ipswich when in charge there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    More on Robbie's absence here: http://www.goal.com/en-ie/news/3942/...y-while-oneill

O'Neill revealed that he met with Galaxy boss Bruce Arena to discuss the 33-year-old's progress following surgery and agreed that he was better served sitting out the Serbia game.

"I met up with his manager Bruce Arena in London in January," explained the Ireland boss. "We both agreed to let him get settled in after the operation. They're starting the season very, very shortly.

"We'll monitor his situation and hopefully he'll be ready for the summer games.

"Robbie's pretty happy with that. For the travelling time, if I'm going to look at someone else at this minute, if I'm going to play him for maybe a half of a game, I didn't feel it was worth it."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Keane obviously rates Murphy. Murphy played under Keane at Sunderland with Keane later signing him on loan for Ipswich when in charge there.
    I know the history. He didn't set the world on fire for Keane when he was there, but at least Roy is still fond on him ie they didn't have a massive bust-up.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

7. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Robbie Keane implied he would retire from International football if he was so much as dropped to the bench.
    Dog. With. Bone.

No he didn't. You understood that because you didn't bother to dig beneath the headline.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    "Robbie's pretty happy with that."

Well I never, Robbie is happy to be missing out on this friendly! It just goes to show that he doesn't care that much and was probably making demands of 'play me or else'!
    TOWK was right all along.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Untrue and a gross and deliberate misinterpretation of what he said but this has been well covered in other threads.

Daryl Murphy has scored 44 in 255 games. What he would bring is some physicality but we have that already up front. Certainly would not bring the scoring touch or ability of a Robbie Keane. Not one for the future and I would have preferred if someone like Adam Rooney was given a chance.

Do you work for Sky with those football cliches?
    Daryl Murphy is streets ahead of Adam Rooney in terms of ability, as their respective experiences in The Championship have proven; and as I have said, 1 in 3 as a striker and experience of playing in several positions at the highest level stands him in good stead for another run at International level.

I think it makes more sense to call up a better, young midfielder rather than an inferior, aging midfielder who has had several injury lay-offs over the last few seasons. It's not a major gripe, though I would be very concerned if Green started against a team like Russia again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Dog. With. Bone.

No he didn't. You understood that because you didn't bother to dig beneath the headline.
    Someone in Robbie's position and experience of dealing with the media should be more astute about how he says things. What he said - taken at face value - has obvious connotations.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Someone in Robbie's position and experience of dealing with the media should be more astute about how he says things.
    Is that a roundabout admission that you may indeed have misinterpreted the intent behind his words?

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Someone in Robbie's position and experience of dealing with the media should be more astute about how he says things. What he said - taken at face value - has obvious connotations.
    So because you didnt read his comments properly its his fault?
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    When it comes to this friendly and the next few, I hope we are not going to enter a typical O'Neill phase of indecisiveness, this time on how we should best utilise the players at our disposal. On that, it's probably a positive that O'Neill has Roy Keane at his side.
    They have the potential to be the best management team in our international history.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Disappointed there was no surprise inclusion of a plastic paddy none of us had on the radar. I had expected one..... Watched Murphy a lot at Sunderland. Had really rated him early on but soon parked expectations. Had a decent touch about him, but for someone so big who had a decent heading ability, he was brutal at getting off the ground and/or using his size. Jumped like he had lead in his boots. He had good technique and used that ball reasonably well when you got it too him, but wasn't dynamic or nimble enough to be a an out and out wide player or tenacious and prolific enough to be an out and out forward. Could see him occupying similar Walters type positions on the left, if performing differently in the role. But he'll be cut from the 29 I would think.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I think you have just explained why Murphy doesn't/didn't have decent heading ability.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    I think you have high articulacy expectations from a guy who left school at 15 to play football. He's always done his talking on the pitch. Seamus Heaney was the wordsmith.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    I think you have high articulacy expectations from a guy who left school at 15 to play football. He's always done his talking on the pitch. Seamus Heaney was the wordsmith.
    But Heaney could never do this...

DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

19. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    I think you have just explained why Murphy doesn't/didn't have decent heading ability.
    Ha!! No...I tried to be careful about wording that. He is s**** at reading the flight, getting off the ground and using his physique, but had decent heading technique when the head and ball occasionally made contact (Cushioned headers and what not) is how I remember it.
    Last edited by dr_peepee; 20/02/2014 at 8:12 PM.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Robbie is far more articulate than people give him credit for. I think people just hear the accent and dismiss him. There's no real scope for ambiguity in what he said except for that which people try to apply.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast