Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Pre Season 2014

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Derry beat Cliftonville 2-0 yesterday afternoon at solitude. Cliff Byrne and Rory Patterson with the goals. Thoroughly deserved, if not for their keeper could've been four or five.

Enda Curran and Mark Stewart started up front, they were useful enough although Curran was getting frustrated by a few misplaced passes and missed controlled touches. Aaron Barry and Cliff Byrne at the back looked steady.

Shane McEleney has started pre-season on the left wing (Roddy and his zany ideas) and was popping up on the right on occasion too. Bizarre.

Patrick McEleney was outstanding, best player on the pitch by a distance. Hope is Roddy is easing him into becoming the main man, he's certainly got the ability.

David Elebert is currently on trial and came on at HT to play right back. Can't see him signing though, with Byrne, Barry, McBride and McEleney we're well stocked for centre halves. Wing backs and wingers please.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Bluebell 1 - 2 Pats FT

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Did Fahey play a half for each side?

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    Is there any appetite within clubs for a shorter off season? I suppose those giving players contracts for 42 weeks or so prefer it. I always think the weekend in February where there's no 6 nations games after the first two weekends is the ideal weekend to start.
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Always thought that myself. The off-season is far too long in the League of Ireland.

The problem is, the Premier Division could comfortably run from February - November with a mid season break, but the First Division would still only work from March - Oct with the lack of teams.
    Back on this topic again, with no 6 nations next weekend, it'd be ideal for the start of the LoI season. An extra few weekends of action in place of some midweek games. This off season drags on far too long.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Did Fahey play a half for each side?
    No, he played the first half, pats played a completely different team in the second half. Also played Akpua on trial in the first half. Don't know anything about him!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    Back on this topic again, with no 6 nations next weekend, it'd be ideal for the start of the LoI season. An extra few weekends of action in place of some midweek games. This off season drags on far too long.
    Yeah but it's apparent that a subset of the clubs don't want it because their crowds don't justify weekend games in place of midweek games.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fester View Post
    No, he played the first half, pats played a completely different team in the second half. Also played Akpua on trial in the first half. Don't know anything about him!
    Haha, I wasn't being serious. Buckley seems to be managing the squad and Fahey pretty well so far, although I'd suspect Fahey is closer to match fitness than anybody else. If he is anything like the player he was at Birmingham, he will be the best player in the league by far.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Haha, I wasn't being serious. Buckley seems to be managing the squad and Fahey pretty well so far, although I'd suspect Fahey is closer to match fitness than anybody else. If he is anything like the player he was at Birmingham, he will be the best player in the league by far.
    It was a good run out. Pats had most of the ball for the whole game, Fahey didn't particularly stand out but he's is only coming back from injury. Lee Lynch was impressive and Brennan a nice touch of class when he came at half time

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Cork City had a couple of friendlies against the Kerry District League on Friday night & Sat afternoon.
    Friday nights game in Tralee was abandoned after about an hour because of the weather with City leading 2-0.
    On Saturday afternoon in Killarney, City won easily 6-2.
    The Kerry lads tried hard but there was a noticeable difference in class between the two sides.
    City used all their squad on Saturday with virtually a different team in each half.
    All the players showed a good level of fitness apart from Elding who looks like he needs to shed his winter coat I'm sure John Caulfied will sort him out quickly.

In passing I must mention the fine complex Killarney Celtic have down there.
    They had everything well organised.
    We even got tea, sandwiches & cake in the club house at half time.
    So much so that yours truly missed the start of the second half
    Well done to everyone down in Kerry.

11. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    182 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PartySaint View Post
    It was a good run out. Pats had most of the ball for the whole game, Fahey didn't particularly stand out but he's is only coming back from injury. Lee Lynch was impressive and Brennan a nice touch of class when he came at half time
    In fairness he can be very impressive. What you might find is that in competitive games when the physicality comes into the game ... he goes out of it. If he was stronger and willing to tackle more he'd be a gem of a CM.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    hey disgruntled - did kerry have lads who could step up to the league?

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    833 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by disgruntled View Post
    Prawn Sandwich brigade
    BetweenTheStripes.net - Home of Between the Stripes LOI podcast.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    151 Posts
    Cork City had a couple of friendlies against the Kerry District League on Friday night & Sat afternoon.
    Friday nights game in Tralee was abandoned after about an hour because of the weather with City leading 2-0.
    The Kerry lads tried hard but there was a noticeable difference in class between the two sides.
    City used all their squad on Saturday with virtually a different team in each half.
    All the players showed a good level of fitness apart from Elding who looks like he needs to shed his winter coat I'm sure John Caulfied will sort him out quickly.

Good luck with that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    Prawn Sandwich brigade
    But of course

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by avvenalaf View Post
    Good luck with that
    If he doesn't get trim then its out the gate with him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    Elding always looks that way, has done since he came into the league, he's just built. It's a strength as he doesn't get bullied off the ball by defenders. Of course he's not gonna sprint around the pitch for you, but you know what you're getting with him... his job is to put the ball in the net.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adamd164 View Post
    Elding always looks that way, has done since he came into the league, he's just built. It's a strength as he doesn't get bullied off the ball by defenders. Of course he's not gonna sprint around the pitch for you, but you know what you're getting with him... his job is to put the ball in the net.
    He certainly won't get bullied with the ass he had on him last Saturday but he might get a few offers
    There's bulk & then there's excess.
    JC remarked he'll have him sorted in a few weeks.

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Well pre-season is all about shipping those few pounds put on and getting fit. Elding though looks like he will always look a bit bigger, similar to North even when he is fully fit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passingview View Post
    hey disgruntled - did kerry have lads who could step up to the league?
    It was my first time ever seeing any of the Kerry lads so its hard to say.They had one or two useful lads but I wouldn't know anything about them.I do know that the lad who got Kerry's first goal is or was a Junior International & plays his football with Killarney Celtic.Even though the goal came about because of a mix up in the City defense he did take it very well curving it just inside the far post giving the keeper no chance.I think his name was Peter McCarthy.

I did a check & in one week he played three games, one for Kerry in the Oscar Trainor Cup & two for Killarney Celtic.In those three game he scored 12 goals.Yes 12 goals so he must have something.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It was my first time ever seeing any of the Kerry lads so its hard to say.They had one or two useful lads but I wouldn't know anything about them.I do know that the lad who got Kerry's first goal is or was a Junior International & plays his football with Killarney Celtic.Even though the goal came about because of a mix up in the City defense he did take it very well curving it just inside the far post giving the keeper no chance.I think his name was Peter McCarthy.

I did a check & in one week he played three games, one for Kerry in the Oscar Trainor Cup & two for Killarney Celtic.In those three game he scored 12 goals.Yes 12 goals so he must have something.
    Thanks for that, it sounds like they might do well in the Oscar Traynor so - up against a Dublin side next i believe.

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast