Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

zat knight

E-Mail Print Version Add to Clippings
    Knight to check out links with Republic
    Monday October 18th 2004
    ADVERTISEMENT

FULHAM defender Zat Knight has declared an interest in representing the Republic of Ireland.

Knight is hoping to benefit from FIFA's limited amnesty, which benefits those who have represented a country at under-age level, but who have not been capped at senior level and wish to change their allegiance - a procedure Manchester City striker Jon Macken has already taken advantage of this season.

Speaking after Fulham's 4-2 defeat by Liverpool on Saturday, Knight, who has won England U-21 caps, outlined his desire to explore the possibility of playing for Ireland, while at the same time conceding the lack of opportunities for England had driven his quest.

"Maybe I should be looking at different avenues, what with the World Cup coming up in two years' time," said Knight, with a singular display of opportunism bound to be noted by Richard Dunne and Gary Breen, amongst others.

"I'm aware that I can still play for the Republic of Ireland and that is something that I have been seriously considering. I am at an age where I am playing regularly in the Premiership, one of the best leagues in the world.

"I don't say that I have been overlooked by England, but if I can look down another road and try to get into their team, then maybe I should. As far as England is concerned, I know it's going to be hard for me to break into the side."

Knight will have to act quickly to expedite the paperwork to confirm his switch, believed to based on his Irish ancestry, but the FAI and Irish manager Brian Kerr would have to give their final assent to his change of mind.

At 6fr 6ins, the 24-year-old Knight, now five years at Fulham having spent the early part of his career at Peterborough, has attributes which are clear enough.

However, with current incumbents Andy O'Brien and Kenny Cuinningham heading a list which also includes Breen, Dunne, John O'Shea, Gary Doherty and John Thompson, Knight's qualities would have to be singularly outstanding in order for him to force his way into the Irish team for forthcoming friendlies against Croatia and Portugal.

David Kelly
    good luck ya big lump of opportunistic rubbish
    Last edited by dynamo kerry; 18/10/2004 at 7:19 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dynamo kerry
    good luck ya big lump of opportunistic rubbish
    We're not interested. Thanks but no thanks Zat.

PP
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    no thanks !

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    outlined his desire to explore the possibility of playing for Ireland, while at the same time conceding the lack of opportunities for England had driven his quest.

Says it all really, if he's not good enough for England, he's definitely not good enough for us.

He has a silly name aswell!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wouldnt go that far ...

"outlined his desire to explore the possibility of playing for Ireland, while at the same time conceding the lack of opportunities for England had driven his quest.

" Says it all really, if he's not good enough for England, he's definitely not good enough for us. "

Since when do England pick players because they are good enough. If you are not playing for the top 5 teams forget it. The guy has no chance getting ahead of Campbell, Ferdinand or Terry

He's a good defender , KC wont go on forever, always useful to have another premiership player around.

As long as these players are fully committed when they pull on the shirt I dont mind.

Our current postion/success was built on these types of players during the Charlton era.

barglee
    even if he did declare hed be well behind a list of centre backs.
    kenny obrien dunne breen doherty oshea

thenn again i guess we should take what we can get.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Crazy name! Crazy FAI if they take him on!
    This is the cooooooooooooolest footy forum I've ever seen!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    As long as these players are fully committed when they pull on the shirt I dont mind

you make good points here but i disagree with the above due to the fact that he has only picked Ireland when he realised his chances with England were over, Will he play with the pride and passion that Irish players have played with over the years or is it just a scam to get to a world cup whatever way he sees fit, when he pulls on the jersey?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi Lopez

I just think that we should keep all options open when a player offers themselves. Ok , so he's annoyed that England wont give him a crack at it but that to me doesnt mean he is not good enough.

I could name all the players we 'picked up' during the 80s from similar credentials but the thread would be too long (wasnt Houghton ex Scot U21 ?). If he is prepared to give himself for the cause he could be a great addition to the the squad. The guy seems to be an honest pro, no disciplinary problems and I think is a very underrated defender.

I know what you are saying and I can see why we should 'keep it Irish' but with the player base that we have I dont think we can afford to be choosy if someone of his calibre (premiership quality defender , international U21 etc) puts himself forward.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    i`m not a fan of picking these kind of players for our national team what kind of message does it sound out to other players in the squad(r dunne etc.)and young players if we go and pick english players like this that have no idea of what that jersey means

btw, on a related topic - something that made me smile last wednesday against the faroes . our starting 11 were made up entirely of irish players. kilbane was born in england of irish parents and andy o`brien who i am led to belive is "proper irish" and who qualifies through an irish father. perhaps now we`re finally losing our plastic paddies tag

i wonder when was the last time this happened

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I'm sure morisson and macken will make him feel at home ****s sake, I thought this crap ended when we got shot of Jack "I wanna manage the england reserves" charlton

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Keep this mercenary clown well away from our team, thank you very much.
    Champions!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Aw come on lads,we need a goal scoring centre back!

Zat scored a rocket off his arse against liverpool at the weekend,even managed to lob Edwin Van Der Zar,the prems tallest goalie.

Might be worth a try alongside Robbie.
    Chamon Mothafcuka......he heeee.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stickyjoe
    i`m not a fan of picking these kind of players for our national team what kind of message does it sound out to other players in the squad(r dunne etc.)and young players if we go and pick english players like this that have no idea of what that jersey means

btw, on a related topic - something that made me smile last wednesday against the faroes . our starting 11 were made up entirely of irish players. kilbane was born in england of irish parents and andy o`brien who i am led to belive is "proper irish" and who qualifies through an irish father. perhaps now we`re finally losing our plastic paddies tag

i wonder when was the last time this happened

the bulk of our team for many years now has bene irish born or gone thru all the underage teams.

very few have been random additions. even connolly played u-21 games.

the exceptions being holland, macken and maybe one or two others. who are you referring to otherwise that would be a plastic paddy?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barglee
    even if he did declare hed be well behind a list of centre backs.
    kenny obrien dunne breen doherty oshea

thenn again i guess we should take what we can get.

John O' Shea will NEVER be an international class centre half. I gave him time but he keeps proving me right as a useless sack of sh!t. Knight is also bettter than Breen and Dunne.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    dont care how good he may be... he shouldnt be allowed play for us after playing for another country.... particularly when he admits its only because of a lack of opportunity to play for england.

however, i'd strongly suspect that he wouldnt have said what he did on saturday unless he had already tested the water first with the Irish management...... wouldnt be shocked if he's in the next squad

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    i wonder was it zat night in Paris that influenced his decision???
    boom-boom ... i'll get my coat
    "I don’t want to tempt fate, but Thierry Henry is not having one of his best nights." - RTE co-commentator Jim Beglin, minutes before TH struck the stunning winner.

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    zat knight is a ****head big lanky stick about 9ft tall cannot get game for scummy england and trying to get a game for ireland we dont need you, your crap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Soko
    Knight is also bettter than Breen and Dunne.
    Not the New & Improved Dunne of this season.
    Man City have only leaked 7 goals so far this season.
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    the way the fella says theres a world cup in 2 years have to decide soon. HOpe he declares for us and then brian kerr never picks him the gloryhunter. Didnt see him coming out with this before the france game

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast