Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: World Cup 2014 Draw

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

World Cup 2014 Draw

The World Cup draw is this afternoon. Looking forward to it! Starts at 4pm I think but not sure when they start pulling out the balls. Looks like they have some razzamataz planned too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    England will play Italy, Uruguay and Costa Rica in the group stages.
    They were drawn into a relatively easy group.
    Most of their kickoff times seem to be later in the evening.
    Their key match is probably against Italy in game 1 in Manaus which usually gets temperatures of about 31.0 degrees in June.
    I expect them to qualify just behind Italy in group D
    If they do qualify past the group stage, they can expect to meet maybe Colombia or Ivory Coast from C in the next round.

Brazil will play Croatia, Mexico and Cameroon in the group stages.
    They could hardly have got a better draw.
    They have avoided all teams currently ranked in the top 10.
    They will be clocking up the miles as the criss cross the vast South American country. They can expect to travel 4000km over the group stage.
    Most of their kickoff times seem to be later in the evening.
    Their schedule takes them to some of the highest altitude stadia in Brazil, but this shouldn't be an issue as there are none at the very extreme end of the scale.
    Their key match is probably against Croatia in game 1 in Sao Paulo which usually gets temperatures of about 21.7 degrees in June.
    I expect them to qualify top of their group with Croatia also making it through group A.
    If they do qualify past the group stage, they can expect to meet maybe Spain or Netherlands from B in the next round.

Ecuador might surprise the world in Brazil. They wouldn't have been hugely fancied before the draw but their group gives them an opportunity to at least make a good start.
    Ecuador will play Switzerland, Honduras and France in the group stages.
    They will have a straight forward travel schedule. They can expect to travel 1700km over the group stage.
    They are blessed as they play in more comfortable temperatures than could have been. They will experience temperatures averaging about 22 degrees in their first three games.
    They are in a group with some very straightforward opposition.
    Their schedule takes them to some of the highest altitude stadia in Brazil, but this shouldn't be an issue as there are none at the very extreme end of the scale.
    Their key match is probably against Switzerland in game 1 in Brasilia which usually gets temperatures of about 25.2 degrees in June.
    If they do qualify past the group stage, they can expect to meet maybe Argentina or Bosnia and Herzegovina from F in the next round.

Mexico weren't given much of a chance before the draw, but now look like they could make it safely into the second round.
    Mexico will play Cameroon, Brazil and Croatia in the group stages.
    They will have a straight forward travel schedule. They can expect to travel 1000km over the group stage.
    The hot temperature may prove to be a bit of a leveller for them. They will experience temperatures averaging about 28 degrees in their first three games.
    Their key match is probably against Croatia in game 3 in Recife which usually gets temperatures of about 28.8 degrees in June. They prepare for this match with a nice 6 days rest since the last match and a 625km trip.
    If they do qualify past the group stage, they can expect to meet maybe Spain or Netherlands from B in the next round.

Uruguay might be one of the better teams finding themselves on the plane home before the second round.
    Uruguay will play Costa Rica, England and Italy in the group stages.
    They play the length and breadth of the vast country and can expect to travel 4600km over the group stage.
    Their key match is probably against England in game 2 in Sao Paulo which usually gets temperatures of about 21.7 degrees in June. They prepare for this match with 5 days rest since the last match and a 2369km trip.
    If they do qualify past the group stage, they can expect to meet maybe Colombia or Ivory Coast from C in the next round.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I don't agree with any of the above and how on earth you think Englands group is relatively easy is beyond me!!, they'll be lucky if they win a game.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    I'm not sure if you're trolling or just copy/pasting from somewhere else, but how you can overestimate England, underestimate Uruguay and fail to recognise the horrible problems Mexico have been having is beyond me.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    I always thought England would have a better than usual tournament this time, but I don't see them beating Uruguay. I think that game will be a draw and it'll be a very tight group that comes down to goal difference. Because of where it is, I expect a South American team other than Brazil and Argentina to get to the quarter-finals. Colombia to top Group C and shock the runner up of Group D (England/Italy/Uruguay).
    Last edited by Professor K; 07/12/2013 at 11:54 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    It was an automated analysis of the draw - wanted to see if I could get the first detailed analysis of the draw up there somewhere. I'm not trolling.

It could be harder for England, they have avoided Brazil, Argentina, Spain, Holland and Germany. Uruguay are one of the weaker seeds. They also get to play in fairly easy conditions (with the exception of Italy in the Amazon - but the conditions will be just as tough for Italy). I think this is why I said that they got a good draw, especially because of Hodgson talk about the travelling and the conditions etc before the draw and saying how it is more important than the opposition. So in that sense it was a good draw. For example after playing England in Manaus, Italy go on to play in Recife and Natal which will mean they play in 3 of the 4 hottest venues in the Country - (Japan and USA have something similar), where England play in much more comfortable Sao Paulo - that is where I was coming from.

Italy have slipped up more than once in their opening game before so I really see that one going either way. I think that got a tough draw, but I think that they should expect to get through it.

But in a totally other sense it is the group of Death (not because the best teams are in it because none of the top 5 are, not because the winner is going to come from the group, because they wont - but just because of all the teams that go home after the groups the best of those teams will probably be from Group D - and this fact I also mentioned).

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davidatrb View Post
    but just because of all the teams that go home after the groups the best of those teams will probably be from Group D - and this fact I also mentioned).
    Group B clearly has that honour, with one of Spain, Chile or Netherlands sure to go home.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Until The Last Rebel!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    I'm a bit worried that England's players are actually playing well. Rooney, Sturridge, Gerrard, Henderson, Baines, Jagielka, Sterling and a few others. I'm not sure they'll ever have the savvy to play well collectively but a bit more of the Rodgers and less of the Hodgson could see them get out of that group.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Calm calm.

All will be right on the night.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?