Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Snooker 2013/14

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,523 Posts
    I've always thought it would be fun to start a Ken Doherty hooligan firm. The first ball he pots, start chanting the roof off the place and then wreck the joint.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

2. Thanks From:

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    I've always thought it would be fun to start a Ken Doherty hooligan firm. The first ball he pots, start chanting the roof off the place and then wreck the joint.
    I would immediately set up a Fergal O Brien cross city rival firm

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Anyone else finding the standard a lot less clinical from the A list players in the early stages this year ?
    It's been a while since I've had the chance to watch this much snooker over a short period, and I've been surprised at the number of players with the yips. There's been an impatience about some of the younger players - like they have to play quickly or take the risky pot rather than play safe. The misses make it more exciting in one way, but there's still something impressive about old-fashioned safety play.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    851 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    It's been a while since I've had the chance to watch this much snooker over a short period, and I've been surprised at the number of players with the yips. There's been an impatience about some of the younger players - like they have to play quickly or take the risky pot rather than play safe. The misses make it more exciting in one way, but there's still something impressive about old-fashioned safety play.
    I've had the flu for three days and the BBC red button was my only companion for much of it, so I saw pretty much every shot up to today. I think there is a lack of respect for the game among younger players in their shot selection at times, and I personally don't find a frame with several misses per player exciting. I much prefer an extended period of well executed safety shots followed by a 50+ visit having squeezed an error from the opponent than guys taking on shot after shot that their ability level doesn't extend to.

Change is not good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    I remember a final - was it Dott and Ebdon - that seemed to go on forever, but it was enjoyable all the same, safety can be good to watch, and def some of the modern players have a problem with it. Can Ding, for example, play a safety game?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    851 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post

Yeah, with one man tasked with a run at the snooker table with a chainsaw. And Ken's opponents cue.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    When are we going to play that game Crafty? I have a 46 break to my name, albeit 28 years ago.

Back then the Worlds were the highlight of my sporting year. I remember in 1982 I was watching a Higgins game during lunch break from school (I lived 10 mins away so used to go home for lunch) and I was late for first class after lunch. My Commerce teacher, without a moment's hesitation as I walked into class said "Stuttgart, write out page 147 of the text book for me by tomorrow"!

Those of you who know me and Stuttgart junior know the significance

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    A few years ago on the Ireland forum I said that if Ireland under Trap were a snooker player we'd be Cliff Thorburn. Now I think it applies to Chelsea, though maybe Cliff Thorburn on steroids.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    The coverage on BBC was so ubiquitous that you had to watch the World's. I loved every moment of it.

Like you I went home for lunch from secondary school. That part of April was just snooker crazy in my school.

The onslaught of the internet and easy availability of other sports has killed snooker to the point that I rarely watch now as it's just not on anywhere in quite the same way.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    I still feel a little of the magic, but only a little.

But, as per your point, I honestly feel that the demotion of the BIG in the public admiration versus, for example, their rugby counterparts, is largely down to the instant gratification culture that the 21st century has brought in. Why bother attaching to a year+ long qualifying campaign with only a couple of glamour ties and with the odds stacked against success, or why bother watching a long drawn out battle like snooker, or a 5 day test cricket match when you can cut straight to the chase and watch the best v the best with the outcome decided on the spot?

Short form cricket is great fun, but test cricket rules. The Worlds and the UKs are snooker's best tournies, without a doubt.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    851 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    When are we going to play that game Crafty? I have a 46 break to my name, albeit 28 years ago.
    Loser pays for the lights Stutts, I am member of a lovely club at present, private room with three immaculate tables. Members only & all that jazz. Id bring you along but I hear if you leave the smog of London for more than an hour, you get a bit chesty. I hit a 45 a few weeks back, and played a red screwing back for black with reverse side, white came perfect for a dolly of a black only for the pocket to spit the red out after a good wobble or four. Heart breaking stuff I assure you

BBC coverage from Sheffield still a yearly sporting highlight for me, went there a couple of years back, saw Ding play, great day out. I am hoping it will shape up this year, it surely will, either way, I'll still be gripped by the end, always am.

13. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    You'd murder me so. I haven't even lifted a cue in a decade.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    851 Posts
    McManus with 3 one visit wins in four frames so far against Doherty today. 3-1 at present.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Finished 4-3 to McManus after the first session. Doherty can hardly play any worse - McManus should be 6-1 up. An improvement for Ken tomorrow and he's in with a great chance.

Ronnie O'Sullivan 9-7 down against Joe Perry going into thier final Sesh tomorrow.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    It's 11-8 now, Ken was handed that 19th frame from the jaws of a McManus victory. McManus keeps handing him frames and Ken keeps giving them back, until McManus just scuttles himself.
    Pity that Ken hasn't got his old quality to wipe McManus on the carpet for his mistakes. I hope he digs deep and gets through.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Can't quite believe how bad a match that was - Ken was brutal 13-2 would have been fair.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Ken could have lost 13-2 but McManus didn't come close to deserving a 13-2 win.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    Can't quite believe how bad a match that was - Ken was brutal 13-2 would have been fair.
    In one way though it was kind of entertaining, looked like pub players in the crucible

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    851 Posts
    Neil Roberston ended Irish interest earlier with victory over Mark Allen, and in doing so moved onto 99 centuries for the season, to put that in perspective, the guy closest to that is Judd Trump on 63 a few seasons back, quite a display of break building. That last century required is eluding him a little, as he missed a half ball cut back black on 94 for it in the second last frame, and a red along the black cushion in the final frame while also in the 90's and he said post match he really wanted it today as Hendry was commentating, on the session. He has another best of 25 match to come, at least, so he is going to get chances, would be lovely to see him do it.

Parrot acknowledged the early tournament standard had taken criticism on the transmission, but said its starting to shape up now with several big guns starting to string one frame visits together.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    851 Posts
    Roberston this evening hit his 100th century break of the season, seemed to hang over him for a couple of sessions, being on 99 but fair play to him, some achievement.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast