Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 'Artey!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

'Artey!!!

Ian Harte must be doing something right - I see Levante won away from home at the weekend - newly promoted team up to fifth in the table and he's been ever-present for them so far... I know he made an unwise outburst after the last squad announcement but is there much hope for a recall? Would have been a great option to have for the Faroes match, particularly when Andy Reid's set pieces seemed all over the place...

barglee
    Definetely should be given another chance,
    our only natural left back.....

bring in for the friendlys coming up at least

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wink

Natural left back !!!!!! I presume you're having a laugh .....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    as with Kevin Kilbane it became trendy to slag off Ian Harte without genuine reason..... always gave 110% and wasnt he our top scorer in the last world cup qualifying campaign?? our use of deadball situations recently has been very poor to put it mildly and therefore Harte should always be in the squad, especially against the weaker teams who come to lansdowne to pack the defence, for this reason alone. scored from 30 yards in his competitive debut for levante. when have we threatened to do this recently?? cant do any harm to at least have the option in the squad

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Kerr should fly out to Espana and see what his form is, Hearte always seemed like he was capable but was lacking in confidence or something. His recent comments cant have helped but I wouldnt use that to rule him out.

Kerr should include him in the squad in the forthcoming qualifiers and see what's he like. If he turns out to be inconsistent and generally crap then Kerr can drop him and that will be the end of that.

However if he is playing well and fits in well under the kerr regieme then he could provide us with some real dead ball expertise. Thats something that is really lacking in the entire squad.

barglee
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne
    as with Kevin Kilbane it became trendy to slag off Ian Harte without genuine reason.....
    i agree with that.....

why is there always a player who weve to slag off

harte had a bad world cup but was fairly good for us in the qualifying.
    he seems to be doing ok in spain

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Lads no-one picking on Harte but lets face it he is the most defensively inept left-back we've had.Has anyone ever actually seen him make a decent tackle.Look at McCarthy era videos and I believe that at least a third of our goals conceded can be put down purely to his poor positional play,absence of pace,inability to tackle,errors etc.
    Definitely a threat from set plays and creative passing,so maybe bring him in as a midfielder like he started as(?)
    <insert witty remark>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    he's as slow as a buckin ship and has admitted the pace of the game in spain suits him. i like him though, there's no doubting the talent of his left foot (and sometimes his right one for that matter). maybe kerr could pick him and mcgeady for the next friendly and set little aido at him in training to expose his defending to scrutiny. this step might not even be necessary though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beavis
    Lads no-one picking on Harte but lets face it he is the most defensively inept left-back we've had.Has anyone ever actually seen him make a decent tackle.Look at McCarthy era videos and I believe that at least a third of our goals conceded can be put down purely to his poor positional play,absence of pace,inability to tackle,errors etc.
    I don't think he's that incompetant - just lazy. He doesn't close anyone down, just doesn't make the effort.

That said, I'd be happy to play him against the likes of Cyprus or the Faroes, where he's not going to be severely tested, and will contribute to the attack.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think Harte should be a part of the Irish squad. He is playing with a team that's coming fifth in the strongest league in Europe. The move to Spain has probably given him the confidence that he needed. Harte was always a good footballer. However, lack of pace was his problem. He was considered a good enough defender to play in the centre of defence for us for over a year (1997-98). I think some people are too quick to criticise him. He is in a different class to Alan Maybury of Hearts in the SFL.

Brian Kerr seems overly-interested in making a point. On another note, what must Michael Doyle of Coventry make of the current situation? Despite playing 38 times last season, Doyle is some way off the Irish squad. At the weekend, he once again started for the sky blues. However, his Irish team mate Graham Barrett only came on as a sub. Despite this, Barrett is in the Irish squad. I'm beginning to think that Kerr has his favourites.
    "Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe." Dillo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs up Ian is full of heart!

Ian Harte has one of the best left peg's in the business and this alone entitles him a place in Kerr's green army. As the PM rightly pointed out, Harte's playing in the best league in Europe and this can only improve him as a pro. As for Alan Maybury, I don't think a Rangers supporter playing for Hearts in the SPL should be let within an asses roar of an Irish jersey.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    I agree with you that Harte is better than Maybury and Doyle is possibly better than Barrett. However, these are only fringe players at the moment that would not be within smelling distance of starting a difficult competitive game. When O'Shea was injured for the Swiss game who played LB? .... Finnan, Maybury wasn't even considered. All he got was 5 mins in the Cyprus game. Barrett only warmed the bench for the Swiss and the Faore game and wasn't even included in the match day squad for the other two games. I think the reason he would be in the squad before Doyle is because he plays RMF and can also be used up front if required. I think Doyle plays CMF for Coventry and we already have Roy, Delap, Kilbane, Holland, Miller and Quinn in the squad for that position.
    Maybe Kerr does have his favourite squad/fringe players but when it comes down to the starting 11 I think he's pretty focused on picking the best 11 players rather than his 11 best friends.

IMO Harte, Dunne and Elliott should deffo get a run in the upcoming friendlies.
    Last edited by Irish_Praha; 18/10/2004 at 7:43 PM.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    He always scores a few and at the moment is playing in a pretty decent side in possibly the top league in Europe. He's got a decent coach incharge of him now (first time for 2-3 years), if he's playing well he sould def get a chance in the Croatia or Portugal match.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83

That said, I'd be happy to play him against the likes of Cyprus where he's not going to be severely tested, and will contribute to the attack.
    Lad ,
    I was out in Nicosia when we played the Cypriots the last time(like many others). They had this lad called Okkas, now playing CL football in Greece, and he simply blew Harte away over there(when at times it got hairy before RMK took over!!), so there is no doubt that it could happen again.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    give him ago - i'm sill waiting form o'sheas next balls up - we're not blessed in that area what with juust Maybury ( My old suggestion of Kilbane at left back seems redundant now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Praha
    I think Doyle plays CMF for Coventry and we already have Roy, Delap, Kilbane, Holland, Miller and Quinn in the squad for that position.
    I thought Doyle was more of a left winger? Even there he's got Duff, Reid, and probably Kilbane there ahead of him.

Nice to be talking about serious strength in depth!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beavis
    Lads no-one picking on Harte but lets face it he is the most defensively inept left-back we've had.
    I demand you take that back.
    Ahem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    [QUOTE=tetsujin1979]I thought Doyle was more of a left winger? Even there he's got Duff, Reid, and probably Kilbane there ahead of him.
    [QUOTE]

I'm not sure which position he plays most regularly but he played CMF last Saturday. Anyway CMF or LMF he would have several better players keeping him out of the squad.

From the coventry FC website:

Name: Michael Doyle
    Position: Midfielder
    Date of Birth: 08/07/1981
    Place of Birth: Dublin

The 2003-2004 season was a landmark season for the tenacious midfielder who signed in the summer of 2003 after impressing during a trial spell.

Coming through the ranks at Celtic, the 23-year-old found his opportunities limited and joined the Sky Blues in search of first team football and soon made his mark.

Hard-working and energetic, Micky is one of the first names on the team sheet and his performances were rewarded at the end of the season when he picked up the Young Player of the Year award.

The Dubliner also proved he is a threat in front of goal, netting three goals over the campaign, including a superb volley against Cardiff City.

Comfortable on the left or in the centre, Micky’s talents have been recognised by Republic of Ireland manager Brian Kerr who gave him his first senior call-up at the end of the campaign.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979
    I thought Doyle was more of a left winger? Even there he's got Duff, Reid, and probably Kilbane there ahead of him.
    No Doyle is a regular in the centre for Coventry.

barglee
    Quote Originally Posted by davey
    we're not blessed in that area what with juust Maybury
    maybury isnt even a left back, hes a right back isnt he?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast