Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 'Artey!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom
    Lad ,
    I was out in Nicosia when we played the Cypriots the last time(like many others). They had this lad called Okkas, now playing CL football in Greece, and he simply blew Harte away over there(when at times it got hairy before RMK took over!!), so there is no doubt that it could happen again.
    My bad. I assumed he'd be skilled enough to handle them. If it's not the case, I don't want him in the squad, no matter how sweet a left peg he has.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Harte 'baffled' as Kerr continues to ignore value of his left foot
    http://www.unison.ie/irish_independe...issue_id=11590

IAN HARTE was ten days into pre-season training with Leeds when the call came. It was his agent. How did he fancy a move to Spain?

It wasn't Barcelona, Madrid, Deportivo or Valencia. It wasn't even Bilbao, Sevilla or Betis. It was Levante UD, the second team in the city of Valencia and they'd just returned to La Liga after more than four decades outside the top flight.

So he came to Spain, liked what he saw, signed a four-year deal and while his former friends at Leeds are suffering the onset of winter in gloomy East Yorkshire, we're sitting in a hotel lobby while the warm Mediterranean sun shines outside.

But it hasn't all been sweetness and light for Harte as his Ireland career, or what's left of it, remains under a cloud.

He acknowledges the quality of recent performances - Paris in particular - and singles out Israel as the dark horse in the group. The problem is that he hasn't been selected for the last three squads.

Does it hurt?

"What do you think?

"It's disappointing because I played in recent games. Against Australia I was on the bench, came on, created the two goals and we won 2-1. I scored in the Croatia game, so I think that when I've been in I've done well. But all of a sudden I've been forced out with no explanation."

It's the lack of communication from Brian Kerr that's most frustrating for him. In the summer he had to have a series of injections for a foot injury that he'd carried since the World Cup in Japan and Korea. It meant he missed the friendly games in England and Holland, but without it he'd have faced an operation and six to eight weeks out of the game, so he expected some understanding from the Ireland boss.

"I spoke to Brian to ask why I wasn't in the squad and he said the players who came on the trip in the summer did well and that was it. There were other players who didn't travel who are in the squad now, so I asked why was there one rule for me and one for the others, but he just said 'it's my decision'.

"I understand when players have come in and done well, that's part of football," added Harte, "but what I don't understand is that there are eight defenders in the squad and not one of them is left-footed. I could have stayed at Leeds and possibly been in his radar more, but I thought moving to Spain would improve me. I'm playing week in, week out in the top Spanish league against some of the best players in the world and there are two right-footed players (John O'Shea and Alan Maybury) battling for the left back position."

"I'm baffled," he says.

There's never been any falling out with Kerr. He describes his relationship with the boss as "fine", but he seems resigned to being left in the cold for the immediate future. "I know the reality before the squad even comes out now. I'm just disappointed."

But it's been a good start for Harte at Levante. His debut couldn't have gone better, scoring his side's first La Liga goal in 41 years as they drew 1-1 away to Real Sociedad. Since then results have been excellent.

"When I came to look around, I liked the ambition of the club. The owner spent a lot of money bringing certain players into the squad and he's very ambitious. He's looking for us to finish in the top six."

It's a tough league but he's convinced the quality in the team will firmly establish them in the top flight.

"When you look at some of the players in training, technically they're unbelievable. The top 10 is certainly in reach. We've got to be pleased with what we've done so far, but it's a long season and there's no point starting well and then fading."

He's also impressed with the style of football they play and, with former German international Bernd Schuster at the helm, they have an experienced and wily manager who knows La Liga well from his eight years as a player for Barcelona.

"He loves the ball on the floor. In England you're running full out for 90 minutes but here it's slower, more patient, passing the ball across the defence and taking your chances when they come."

Ian Harte's next chance at international level - if it ever arrives - will certainly influence the level of satisfaction he derives from what remains of his footballing career.

Andrew Mangan
    Hearte sounds like harte is getting his confidence back, I think Kerr should have him in the squad at least, give him a few friendlies and then maybe think again about competitive games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thejollyrodger
    Hearte sounds like harte is getting his confidence back
    Spot on. Thats the one thing that was affecting his game but he seems to be over confident these days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    nothing wrong be have confidence bordering on cockiness all the great players have it but i think the much maligned ian harte could still do some sort of a job for ireland he has to be better than maybury he seems to be more than surviving in what is gernerally viewed as the best league in the world and no matter what we say he has a wealth of experience for a fella of his age and when he was at the top of his game was twice (i think) voted on to the premiership team of the year by his peers so the calibre is there

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Harte

I thought he always put it in for us when he played. If theres one thing we are missing its some decent dead ball delivery and some free kicks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I dont think a player can have too much confidence, if they think they are modern day Pele then all the better. A lot of the problems with players is the lack of confidence, even duffer had the problem.

Too much confidence, well you just agree with the player and ignore whatever dribble he is saying. Take Bellamy for example, on fire, loads of confidence but would tell anyone who would listen how great he is. He should keep his mouth shut. You wouldnt drop him from the team though cos he is playing brilliantly.

Hearte is playing for a decent side (5th or 6th at the moment) in the best league in the world (UEFA co-efficients alone) so he should be in the squad at least. He hasnt been given a proper chance by Kerr. That's an unprofessional decision by Kerr.

However, for me, whether Hearte actually gets comptetive game is another discussion.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I've slagged off Harte in the past but deserves a squad place. His ability at deadballs, the fact that he's a natural left footer and the fact that he's a lot better than Maybury and playing at a higher level mean he should be in the squad. Also, for all Harte's faults O'Shea at the moment is providing very little more defensively while providing considerably less in attacking terms.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I dont think a player can have too much confidence, if they think they are modern day Pele then all the better.
    I didn't mean it in a bad way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    hearte set up the goal for levante ! the only goal in the game. They are fourth now I really cant belive he is playing that well still fair play to hearte

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    We are too quick to right off players when they have the odd bad game.
    He is as good a left-back as any other we have and he deserves another
    chance, he may enjoy the slower pace of the game in Spain as he is
    an excelent passer of the ball, in my opinion, and he gets forward well.
    I fancy he would do well away against Israel as he will be well aclimatised
    to the heat. I have always been of the opinion that his plusses outweight
    any minuses. He may have been more exposed with Ireland relying on Duff
    to do all the attacking and little in the defensive department. Mourinho
    may be doing us a favour if he improves Duff defensively which would
    take some of the heat off Harte.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Levante are now up to third in La Liga and Harte is playing well from what I hear. Surely he has to be a better option than Maybury.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    I have alway liked Harte when he plays, especially the attacking side
    of his game when he his moving forward with the ball with his head
    up looking to play a killer pass, long or short, he seems a clever player
    to me who understands the game, he is not great for pace though
    but I think Dunne (RIchard) has pace so they would play well togeather
    defensively.
    None of the other left back options really excite me.
    I think he had a lot of ground to cover playing behind Duff which
    made him look weaker defensively than he really is (especially
    when he was knackered).
    He is also probably our best free kick option and he really wants to
    play for Ireland which is a major plus in my book.
    He surely must be in the squad at the very least.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Defo a must for the squad....

He'll do a decent job from left back so long as there's a pacy centre half there to compensate for his failings. He does have something to offer though. It wasn't too long ago he was named the best left full in the premiership by his fello pro's.

I'm pleased to see his career in spain has started so well. Though I havent seen anything of him. He'll return to the squad for the friendlies. By the end of the freindlies i think Harte and Delap will hold their place in the squad at the expense of recent regulars Maybury and Barrett.
    Last edited by dr_peepee; 08/11/2004 at 3:19 AM. Reason: mis spelling

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I sometimes wonder is this really the same Harte as Japan, but he defintely has to be included in the squad.

Harte in top form for lofty Levante
    http://www.unison.ie/irish_independe...issue_id=11663

IRELAND's forgotten-man Ian Harte maintained his 100 per cent appearance record in the Primera Liga as minnows Levante went third thanks to a 1-0 home win over Athletic Bilbao.

The former Leeds man is not expected to be named in Brian Kerr's squad to face Croatia next week, but he has been instrumental in helping the promoted club to their current lofty heights.

Harte was almost on the scoresheet with a free-kick yesterday but it was fellow full-back Jesus Jesule who scored the vital goal to seal Levante's sixth win in ten league games this season.

Levante were lying second yesterday afternoon but Madrid's victory in last night's clash against Malaga saw them leap-frog Levante and close the gap on leaders Barcelona.

Luis Figo put Madrid ahead in the 19th minute, converting from the spot with customary efficiency after Zinedine Zidane had been brought down on the fringe of the area by Malaga defender Gerardo.

--article cut ---

Simon Baskett

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    I sometimes wonder is this really the same Harte as Japan, but he defintely has to be included in the squad.
    i think its acknowledged that Harte was carrying an injury in the world cup. had to get pain killing injections before each game which wore off after 20 mins or so. i admit that at least one of the goals against us was probably his fault but as always he gave everything.

we dont have a natural left back in the squad at the moment so he should be included for sure for the upcoming friendlys, and the qualifiers. without him we have no real threat from dead ball situations

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne
    as with Kevin Kilbane it became trendy to slag off Ian Harte without genuine reason.....
    Are you f*cking mad? So football fans criticised Kilbane's and Harte's performances to follow a trend? I don't know what planet you were on during the 2002 qualifiers as well as the 2004 qualifiers. Both gave their all and no one can accuse them of not trying but they were both utter rubbish in the world cup and its qualifiers. Harte, for all his effort, has no pace, no awareness and no ability to mark or track back. The first one is manageable. The second two are basic elements of a defender. Unless he's improved dramatically over the past number of months, any campaign for his inclusion seems pointless.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I don't know why everyone is calling for Harte to be included in the squad. Our defence has been pretty good over the last few games. Who would he replace. Maybury perhaps but he's done well when he's had a game.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor74
    Ummm, why? Because we have Ashley Cole and Bixente Lizarazu vying for that position?

I too share a lot of your doubts about Harte's abilities, but it's not as if we're spoiled for choice at left back. John O'Shea is the wekaest link on the current team and needs a challenger.
    What's the point in calling up someone who has proved himself to be a poor defender? Maybury hasn't proven anything, fair enough, but he hasn't proved himself to be woeful. John O'Shea may need some competition but is he likely to receive it from Harte?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_peepee
    Defo a must for the squad....

He'll do a decent job from left back so long as there's a pacy centre half there to compensate for his failings. .
    How can he do a decent job if someone has to compensate for his failings ?????

If he can do a decent job, no one should have to compensate for his failings
    and be rightly included, as you pointed out he has failings, i think he should not be in the squad ! !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Donal81
    Maybury hasn't proven anything, fair enough, but he hasn't proved himself to be woeful
    so you have to prove yourself to be woeful to be excluded from an Ireland squad..... great, i must still have a chance of getting in the squad one day!

harte was top scorer in last wc campaign and is only natural left back we have playing at a decent level. i stand my view that it became trendy to slag off harte and kilbane without foundation. kilbane in particular has proved many wrong with his recent motm performances...... fact!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast