Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Quick tablet question

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts

Quick tablet question

With zero experience of using a tablet myself, just a quick question that someone might be able to help me out with.

Have been drafted in to advise on a Christmas pressie for a non-tech user, who'll be primarily using it at home for FB, light browsing, some games (Angry Birds end of the spectrum rather than CoD), some tunes, photos etc.
    Including an imposed budget limit, most things seem to be very much pointing us in the direction of the Google Nexus 7, but my question is: is a 7" screen genuinely big enough to do the above comfortably?
    Would be looking at the Acer Iconia A810, or maybe the Samsung Tab 8, if that extra inch is called for.

Any help greatly appreciated!
    more bass

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    I'm in a very similar situation. Anyone with any recommendations I'd also like to hear them.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    I was mulling over a tablet recently. Had a gander at the Nexus 7 and it seems too small for tablet use.
    Considering most mainstream smart phones are hitting 5" screenwise. I wasn't comfortable with the 7.

A new Google Nexus 10 is due very soon so I would plump for that or anything made by ASUS, Acer or Samsung that are running Android.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

4. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    It's not for me though, it's a friend getting a gift for a friend.
    If I was getting one it would likely be the Nexus 10 also (even more so in a newer version), but it's way, WAY beyond the budget here, as are any of the decent Android 10"ers.
    The 8" Acer Iconia looks to be in range, as is the Samsung Tab 8 at a pinch, but that newer ASUS-built Nexus, though smaller, seems to trump them on everything else.
    Just wondering if anyone used that size of tab and had any thoughts on how good/bad they found it.
    more bass

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stann View Post
    It's not for me though, it's a friend getting a gift for a friend.
    If I was getting one it would likely be the Nexus 10 also (even more so in a newer version), but it's way, WAY beyond the budget here, as are any of the decent Android 10"ers.
    The 8" Acer Iconia looks to be in range, as is the Samsung Tab 8 at a pinch, but that newer ASUS-built Nexus, though smaller, seems to trump them on everything else.
    Just wondering if anyone used that size of tab and had any thoughts on how good/bad they found it.
    Think the 7-8in form factor is ideal. If it was something you had to use all day then yeah bigger one, maybe bigger one.

Just look out for accessories though. A decent cover/stand combo gives you something else to grip. An with no expandable memory a wee converter turns the micro usb into a standard usb in. Should be less than 20 quid the pair.

7. Thanks From:

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Stann looks like we're working on very similar lines. I've narrowed it down to one of these I reckon;
    http://www.did.ie/asus-7-memo-pad-me172v-1b071a-prd
    http://www.did.ie/acer-iconia-b-7-ta...-l1nek-001-prd

The Acer one is also available from Argos for a tenner less.

Anyone got either one or think one is much better than the other?

Tallaght Stadium Regular

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    I have one of the old Nexus 7s and it's ideal for me, since the primary use is reading in bed and a 10" would be too big for that. The newer one would be better still, because it's thinner both across the front and front to back; although it is a bit taller, and uglier because of it (big bezels are ick).

I think really if you're going to be using it more than half the time in bed, then a 7" is the right size, but if you're going to be using it mostly around the house, a 10" is the way to go.

Had a go off a 10" Galaxy Note, I so want one, but sadly it's not to be. Too expensive and I'm saving for a Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga.

11. Thanks From:

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    The old Generation Kindle Fire is on sale at £99
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    The girlfriend has a Galaxy 10" Tab 3 and it's probably one of the best purchases ever brought into the house. Fantastic machine. She got it for 300 or something about 6 months ago. They're going for about 250 now. If you want to spend a bit of money, I'd highly recommend it.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

15. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A N Mouse View Post
    Think the 7-8in form factor is ideal. If it was something you had to use all day then yeah bigger one, maybe bigger one.
    Just look out for accessories though. A decent cover/stand combo gives you something else to grip. An with no expandable memory a wee converter turns the micro usb into a standard usb in. Should be less than 20 quid the pair.
    Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta View Post
    I have one of the old Nexus 7s and it's ideal for me, since the primary use is reading in bed and a 10" would be too big for that. The newer one would be better still, because it's thinner both across the front and front to back; although it is a bit taller, and uglier because of it (big bezels are ick).
    I think really if you're going to be using it more than half the time in bed, then a 7" is the right size, but if you're going to be using it mostly around the house, a 10" is the way to go.
    Cheers lads, would reckon it wouldn't be used for too long a stretch at any stage, and probably quite quickly find itself required only for a bit of FBing on the sofa and bedtime reading. Decision made I'd say!
    Soon as it's confirmed I'll nab those extra bits too AN, good shout there too.
    more bass

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    I have the Asus Transformer Infinity - http://eee.asus.com/en/transformer-infinity/
    I'd reccommend it, but the battery life can be short, although I have the wifi-only model (there was no way I was paying another bill for 3G) which obviously drains it faster.
    The latest version appears to address some of the issues with the battery, but it's still fairly pricey
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    friend of mine posted this on facebook earlier, great deal IMO: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ASUS-Googl...d=553874804993
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stann View Post
    Cheers lads, would reckon it wouldn't be used for too long a stretch at any stage, and probably quite quickly find itself required only for a bit of FBing on the sofa and bedtime reading. Decision made I'd say!
    Soon as it's confirmed I'll nab those extra bits too AN, good shout there too.
    Forgot last time, but you'll also want screen protectors.

21. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Thanks for all the help lads, quite a few of ye made contributions to the end result!
    Heel of the hunt they've (we've) settled on the newer version Asus Memo Pad HD 7", seems to be largely as good as the Nexus 7 (even some improvements) but is substantially cheaper again.

That DID link is for the older version, passinginterest, and if you've not already sprung for it is showing out of stock now in any case. No record now of what price it was but I'd be guessing even at best it wasn't a lot less than this one, which may be worth a look: http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/ASUS-M...ite/315575/2.9
    Last edited by stann; 03/12/2013 at 9:25 PM.
    more bass

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I subscribed to that Eleven Sports crowd who won the rights to show La Liga, Serie A, etc.

My Microsoft Surface Pro 3 is having extreme difficulty opening it and, even on the occasion that it does, the page is not appearing as it should and won't play the live matches/highlights.

It works fine on my work PC. This is the site - https://www.elevensports.uk/

Anybody have any suggestions?