Thread: Club budgets 2014

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts

Club budgets 2014

Drogs budget 2014

I am curious - it seems to be generally communicated that the budget is going to be lower next season.

Last year we where in three cup finals (extra revenue which I presume wasn't in the budget). I haven't heard that we went into the red this year , so why a reduced budget?

I can only guess it is in reaction to lower crowds last season but if that's the case should the reaction not be to push for bigger crowds ? Surely the low crowds should be seen as an opportunity to increase revenues via better marketing etc rather than just shrinking our budget.

Using that logic we should build in no income from gates just to be safe.

If it is in response to the crowds then it has the feel of trying to apply austerity to get us out of a recession and most of us know how that's working out.

Note: I'm not advocating crazy spending, more alike to a growth strategy (rather than austerity)
    Last edited by Mr A; 21/11/2013 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Making thread general

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Simple one that. The extra prize money from cup finals accounted for the short fall in gate receipts this year? But you can't rely on that again next year hence budget has to be cut. In any case the prize money for competitions like the FAI Cup is so poor that if you don't win it you'd just about scrape going to it without losing money!

I know your not advocating over-spending but you cant take any gamble at all when the club isn't funded or backed by someone with a blank chequebook.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    I hear what you are saying but it feels like last seasons poor gates are now taken as our real gate income level whereas I would view them as a freak year. And therefore we are reducing our budget based on these figures.

Another option would be to take the average gates from a 2-3 season period rather than one season. Then back this target up with a marketing drive to get bums on seats. It feels as if the attitude is "what turns up turns up - it's not something we can impact on".

My fear would be we reduce budgets coz of one seasons poor gates, this weakens the team and results leading to even less gates and then a lower budget etc

Now I know I'm looking at this from the outside and might be unaware of initiatives in the pipeline so forgive me of any ignorance in that regard.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Our gates have been consistently bad for at least three years. They were slightly worse last year. You also simply have to budget based on the here and now. A 2-3 year average could be unrepresentative of the current reality. In terms of marketing and a big push, the club have been saying for ages that they need more people to get involved. They simply don't have the time to do any more than keep the club going. As I urged you on the other thread. If you can volunteer time and have the expertise you should get involved and be the person to make the difference.

You never know I might even be able to get you on the board with me. We could take over the world you, me and lollymcd! ;-)

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Rofl .....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    I know a few lapsed Drogheda fans and the E15 entrance fee was a factor.

There's not a lot of money about these days.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    I know it doesn't help the cause - that's for sure. But I suppose for the club it's a major decision to reduce to 10e but risk no rise in gates.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    MiniM I'll email the followus email

Let's see what we can do
    Last edited by SeanDrog; 20/11/2013 at 7:11 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    €15 euro is far too much for Drogheda to be charging into games with a support base like they have. €12 should be plenty there if they're unsure about going as low as 10 quid.

As for reducing the budget, 2008 probably still sticks hard in the memory for overspending. Better off living within their means and sitting bottom half of the table than overspending trying to push for Europe.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    €15 euro is far too much for Drogheda to be charging into games with a support base like they have. €12 should be plenty there if they're unsure about going as low as 10 quid.
    Clubs with low support bases should be more likely to charge high prices as the marginal cost of a reduction is much more severe. It's different in the first division obviously because the standard is lower, but if you're in the Premier Division you can afford to charge Premier Division prices. If they got relegated, they wouldn't be charging €15, but Sligo Rovers are a much bigger draw than Wexford Youths no matter how you spin it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Dropping from fifteen to a tenner would be insanity for any club.

Simple sums - would crowds improve by the FIFTY percent needed just to break even on the idea??

They would in their ring.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Shels charging fifteen in the First is hands down the worst value in the league.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    Dropping from fifteen to a tenner would be insanity for any club.

Simple sums - would crowds improve by the FIFTY percent needed just to break even on the idea??

They would in their ring.
    The alternative is a slow death though, an ever dwindling number of fans.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Is that what they charged in the first, or is it what they plan to? I thought they increased the price when they got promoted, but I might be remembering wrong. It's a cost/benefit every team has to make, but generally prices are sticky going downwards rather than upwards. It's a bit different in England where TV money accounts for so much of their revenue, but in Ireland you live and die by your gate receipts.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    I presumed (maybe wrongly) that every club in the Premier Division charges 15 euro admission?
    Here's a very good piece from the Drogheda United website by Roisin Philips - one of the most articulate people involved in running a club in the LOI.
    http://www.droghedaunited.ie/news/po...all-supporters

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Straightstory View Post
    I presumed (maybe wrongly) that every club in the Premier Division charges 15 euro admission?
    Dundalk and Cork are cheaper. LTID is spot on though. Clubs have a decent grasp of their fan base. There's x amount of people willing to pay full price and a drop in price won't get near enough new people in to cover that shortfall. Anyone who thinks otherwise is deluded.

BTW anyone who encourages their board to increase their club's budget after they finish in 8th position and appoint a rookie manager is crazy too.

Cups draws are complete flukes. They can't be the basis for any rational budget planning
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    **Mod Hat On**
    Made this a general thread- this is the league forum so threads on each clubs budget will cause too much clutter.
    **Pirate hat on**
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    I presume Shamrock Rovers will have the highest budget this year. Who will have the lowest? Perhaps Bray, though there are rumous of Drogheda slashing theirs. I wonder how the rest of the clubs rank.

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Have heard ours is being reduced from last season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    I hope ours is being reduced as well, that or there is something done to increase attendance (or other forms of revenue)
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast