Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Kildare County 1-2 UCD

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts

Kildare County 1-2 UCD

A late penalty saw UCD put one foot in the Premier Division next season after about as convincing a one-goal-win-with-the-winner-from-a-late-penalty win as you will get. Kildare's dodgy keeper and their defence's inability to play the ball from the back without resorting to hoofing, coupled with the front line's insistence on shooting wildly off target belied the fact that the teams were level for most of the match, but UCD made most of the running and could have won by more.

UCD made two changes from the 0-0 draw in Monaghan, with the experienced duo of Alan Mahon and Tony McDonnell coming in for Anto Murphy and the suspended Mick O'Donnell. The first half was a tame affair, with few clear chances, and UCD's lead goal was as scrappy as they come. A free from the right was swung in, the keeper tried to clear, but his clearance seemed to strike a Kildare defender and the ball bobbled into the back of the net, with Robbie Martin being credited with the final touch. Five minutes later, another ball into the box was nodded down by Tony McDonnell for Batman Hughes, whose volley was only just off target.

At the other end, Kildare threatened only occasionally, but came into the game more after going 1-0 down, and on the stroke of half-time, they had an equaliser when a cross from the right was met by the head of leading scorer Martin Reilly, who sent his header into the roof of the net.

UCD controlled the second half, with Kildare being forced to defend in numbers at times as the Students made several surging runs - Tony McDonnell, Pat Sullivan and Philip Hughes all skipped past two or three challenges only for another Kildare shirt to get in the way just as the College player was about to get away the shot. Hughes also tried his luck from the edge of the area, with Brendan Kennedy - brother of Mark, and keeper when Cherry Orchard lost 3-0 to UCD in the FAI Cup three years ago - parrying away, but somehow no UCD player was able to get the finishing touch.

Kildare had only one real chance of note in the second half, when Darren Quigley failed to deal with a high ball, and the UCD defence had to be alert to block away a shot from the edge of the area.

Just when it looked like UCD would have to settle for the draw, however, another run from deep from Tony McDonnell saw him burst into the penalty box, where he was taken down by a Kildare defender, and the referee had no hesitation in awarding the penalty. Robbie Martin scored to move him to 28 league goals for UCD, up to fifth spot in the all-time list.

That was his last touch of the game as he immediately came off to be replaced by Willie Doyle, who could have made it 3-1 as he ran on to a through ball only to be denied by a precise sliding tackle on the edge of the area. However, UCD deservedly held on for the three points to put nine between themselves and Kildare, with only five games left. If you assume Kildare won't catch us on goal difference - we have a headstart of 15 - UCD can seal promotion with home wins against Limerick and Kilkenny. And with Harps, Bray and Kildare all still to play each other, the title is still very much on...

UCD - Quigley; Mahon, McAuley, Kenna, McNally; McDonnell, Sullivan, Finn, McWalter; Martin (Doyle 86), Hughes. Subs not used - Gallagher, AN Other x 2

Att - c 275

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu
    the ball bobbled into the back of the net
    No it didn't. It was moving so slowly that it stopped before it got to the net.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    can somebody explain the Batman Robin situation as its not quite clear to the untrained ear why these two have the tag

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovejam
    can somebody explain the Batman Robin situation as its not quite clear to the untrained ear why these two have the tag
    Not all that clear to the trained ear either!

It started at the Kilkenny away game when Philly Hughes made his debut. We didn't know who he was so somebody referred to him as a mysterious stranger which then morphed into Batman. When Anto Murphy made his debut a game or two later, we didn't know who he was either so to avoid confusion by calling him Batman as well, he became Robin.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    so to my amazement this can only mean Superman, G.I Joe and Action Man are coming soon strong force next season, possibly champions league qualifications

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    so to my amazement this can only mean Superman, G.I Joe and Action Man are coming soon strong force next season, possibly champions league qualifications

Maybe not Superman though...?

Inspector Gadget would be very useful I'd say! "Go Go Gadget Diving Header!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Jesus, don't give people ideas!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Reaction on the unofficial Kildare forum

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    [Go Go Gadget Diving Header![/QUOTE]

even better "Jose,Jose,Jose,Jose....Jose,Jose" directed at UCD's very own Jose Mourinho(Alan Mahon)! take a close look, he's the spit !

What about young P.Byrne?? just the five goals scored tonight for u/21s...better srike rate than Thierry Henry&Reyes put together!! Even better than the LEGEND himself, that of course is the mighty Batman

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Reaction on the unofficial Kildare forum
    Having, as I do, no intention of registering for every forum between here and Donegal, could you post said reaction here?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    You could always click on the link and reading the post! No need to register unless you want to comment!

Plenty of praise for Tony Mac, surprise at how poor Kildare were seeing as they had to win, shock at the first goal, us with "two giraffes" at the back...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    You could always click on the link and reading the post! No need to register unless you want to comment!
    Maybe you'd like to click the link there yourself and see if you can read it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Hmmm....what do you know? I must have registered on to that at some time...

Enjoyed my 500 miles trip, even though there was a massive fight in Mooney's after the hunt on Sunday, never though i would witness that in a Monasterevin pub? the Game was a poor reflection of a team needing to win a game desperately, the huddle before a game means sweet FA if they then don't transfer that passion to the 90 minutes.

First goal for UCD, awful wall, three man, i would have had four, badly aligned by the keeper, he fumbled the low shot, a tap in, i was also amazed that there was no charger on the kick, that shot could have been blocked by a good alert charger, lots to learn Mr Hannigan.

The whole game game Kildare gave silly ball away, corners for were dire, no imagination or variety, hooked into the 18 yard box to be headed clear by the two giraffes UCD had there, pointless tactics. High balls down the middle were simply headed back, what was the point there Eric? The strikers needed ball to feet and then support from the midfield four, who were AWOL most of the game, McDonnell was doing as he liked, with 10 yards of space, didn't Eric realise that he was their key player? conducting the orchestra for UCD? A five star performance from him actually, a decent player.

UCD where so narrow, they loaded the mid area, i would have got my two wide guys to get out wide and whip crosses in, one cross for Kildare in the whole game got a goal just before the break, over half of all moving play goals from wide positions, Mr Hannigan? ok? A lesson free to you. There was no midfield support for the front two, they were totally isolated, the Kildare midfield was poor, UCD "murdered" them there, McDonnell had a free role, he was "whacking" players with immunity, no bottle there for Kildare either, he did Scully early on and there was no pay back either?

The two Kildare full backs had "stinkers" not once did they get forward, i get mine forward all the time, the other three just move over to cover him, it was awful support play from them. The penalty in 88 minutes was academic anyway, a draw was little use and i would have gone with three up top with 20 minutes to go and gone for it, no tactical ability from the bench i though? It was a trip on McDonnell, who was bombing forward, but in or out of the box i can't say, matters little, needed three points, all over now guys, fat lady sang in Swifts after the game, i drowned my sorrows in there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    It's the same set up as Harps and Drogheda and a couple of others so you probably registered on one of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Hmmm....what do you know? I must have registered on to that at some time...

The whole game game Kildare gave silly ball away, corners for were dire, no imagination or variety, hooked into the 18 yard box to be headed clear by the two giraffes UCD had there, pointless tactics. High balls down the middle were simply headed back, what was the point there Eric?
    What do you know - Connor Kenna's a "giraffe" now!!! He must be a really small one.