Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Google LG Nexus 5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts

Google LG Nexus 5

So after many months of deliberation the launch of this phone has convinced me that this is what is gonna replace my Galaxy S2.

Now the only question I have though, which version will I get? North American or ROTW?

I’m moving to Canada in Feb but should I be too concerned about the LTE coverage in Europe for my return in 2015 as certain frequencies will not be available to the NA version of the phone.

Should I be concerned or just get the blasting NA version as I won’t be utilising LTE in Ireland before I leave?

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=5705

Any opinions?
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,360 Posts
    Chances are, there'll be a better updated version by the time 2015 comes around. So best to make the most of the device before it's updated. NA version.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    I don't think there's any chance about that. There will be.

The only real issue I have with this phone is the lack of an FM radio.

I kinda just need to suck it up and commit. Cheers Nigel.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,360 Posts
    Sure you can buy a separate FM radio for about 5 bucks no matter where you go! Simple solution!
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Sure you can buy a separate FM radio for about 5 bucks no matter where you go! Simple solution!
    I don't like carrying extra stuff. Not having an FM radio is usually a deal breaker but I've read about the Cyanogenmod which will allow the FM functionality be turned on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    So after many months of deliberation the launch of this phone has convinced me that this is what is gonna replace my Galaxy S2.

Now the only question I have though, which version will I get? North American or ROTW?

I’m moving to Canada in Feb but should I be too concerned about the LTE coverage in Europe for my return in 2015 as certain frequencies will not be available to the NA version of the phone.

Should I be concerned or just get the blasting NA version as I won’t be utilising LTE in Ireland before I leave?

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=5705

Any opinions?
    Get whichever is cheaper - with one proviso (if that happens to be the rotw)

Check out which provider you would use in Canada, and find out which band they use.
    The rest of the world are pretty standards compliant, only in n america might you find a single provider using a band not used by anyone anywhere

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    505 Posts
    I was going to buy one of these but I'm concerned about battery life, and to a lesser extent the camera. Google/LG don't seem to have released any test units so it's difficult to peg down, but several reviews have mentioned both battery life and the camera as issues.

It has the same size battery as my HTC One, which I sometimes have to top up despite not being a particularly heavy user, but with a much faster processor and a slightly bigger screen. Qi charging would help, but it would still be a pain to have to top up every day. And I have two small kids so I use the phone camera quite a lot for day-to-day stuff, it would be annoying if the quality was down from the One, which is actually pretty good despite the "smaller pixels" nonsense.

The One was just updated to 4.3 and Sense 5.5, so I'll have to see how that goes, but it does seem snappier so I think I might be holding tough for the moment. I do have an upgrade due though, so I'm unsure if I should buy something else to sell, or hold off. What else is good these days? I haven't been paying attention.

Anyway, back on topic: BonnieShels, you need to check this out carefully, because there is a big difference between the LTE radios on the two variants; I read about it somewhere earlier, I'll post it later when I find it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    505 Posts
    It's in the Engadget review:

Now, about that catch we mentioned earlier. We're pleased that Google and LG included LTE this time around, but we're not satisfied with the implementation here. The N5 comes in two different configurations. There's the D820 for North America with nine-band LTE (bands 1/2/4/5/17/19/25/26/41, which offers support for Sprint, T-Mobile and AT&T, as well as Canada and a few random networks in Asia, Africa and South America). It also offers quad-band GSM/EDGE, CDMA 800/1900 and seven-band DC-HSPA+ (bands 1/2/4/5/6/8/19, which essentially cover a majority of networks outside North America).

Then there's the second model, the D821, which comes with six-band LTE (bands 1/3/5/7/8/20), quad-band GSM/EDGE and six-band DC-HSPA+ (bands 1/2/4/5/6/8). While most of your data needs can be addressed by one or the other, anyone hoping to take advantage of LTE while traveling abroad will find that neither version works everywhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A N Mouse View Post
    Get whichever is cheaper - with one proviso (if that happens to be the rotw)

Check out which provider you would use in Canada, and find out which band they use.
    The rest of the world are pretty standards compliant, only in n america might you find a single provider using a band not used by anyone anywhere
    This was the nub of my original post. I won't be upgrading to LTE in Ireland before I leave for Canuckland and the standard HSDPA aerials will work fine in Europe. LTE and FM radio are the only real issues for me and LTE isn't right now.

And there's no way I'm giving up my eMobile deal.

It's sweet. The radio thing is fupping me off.

Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta View Post
    I was going to buy one of these but I'm concerned about battery life, and to a lesser extent the camera. Google/LG don't seem to have released any test units so it's difficult to peg down, but several reviews have mentioned both battery life and the camera as issues.
    I've been reading reviews everywhere all week and the battery issue keeps coming up. As it's not replaceable I was thinking that might be a problem.

It has the same size battery as my HTC One, which I sometimes have to top up despite not being a particularly heavy user, but with a much faster processor and a slightly bigger screen. Qi charging would help, but it would still be a pain to have to top up every day.
    A friend of mine has the HTC One and he swears by the battery. He is a pretty heavy user and he's never run outta juice say on a Friday night where my GSII would have long given up the ghost.

At EP this year he actually only had to charge it on Saturday afternoon after all of Friday down there from lunchtime and Friday night in Body and Soul.

The battery on the Nexus 5 is 2300mAh whereas the GSII is 1650mAh.

I've just gotten used to charging twice a day now so if this scrapes me by a little more than I'm used to I'm okay.

And I have two small kids so I use the phone camera quite a lot for day-to-day stuff, it would be annoying if the quality was down from the One, which is actually pretty good despite the "smaller pixels" nonsense.
    Phone cameras are good enough for what I use them for. Never really a major selling point.

The One was just updated to 4.3 and Sense 5.5, so I'll have to see how that goes, but it does seem snappier so I think I might be holding tough for the moment. I do have an upgrade due though, so I'm unsure if I should buy something else to sell, or hold off. What else is good these days? I haven't been paying attention.
    I'm delighted to just to be getting the stock Android without TouchWiz or Sense or anything else over the top to be honest.

Anyway, back on topic: BonnieShels, you need to check this out carefully, because there is a big difference between the LTE radios on the two variants; I read about it somewhere earlier, I'll post it later when I find it.
    The LTE issue was the major stumbling block for the purchase but as mentioned above there's no real point in worrying about European LTE connectivity if I find myself living in Canada in February.

Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta View Post
    It's in the Engadget review:
    Was waiting on their review. Glowing is not the word. Love that site.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    If I'm reading this right then you may want to reconsider this bit

Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post

And there's no way I'm giving up my eMobile deal.
    how much per MB?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A N Mouse View Post
    If I'm reading this right then you may want to reconsider this bit

how much per MB?
    You're not reading what I was inferring right.

I basically meant that I'm sticking with my eMobile deal until I go. Not changing it to an LTE package etc.

No way I'll roam in Canada on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Caved and got the ROTW version. LTE won't be so much of an issue for me initially in Canada so should be okay. Mate in London bought it for me. Now I pay the waiting game.