Page 97 of 128 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899107 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,940 of 2541

Thread: Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    You're right there Kingdom. He was home victim to his away successes.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Amid the good results, it's impossible to ignore the rank rotten football played in the other games, mostly this campaign, And if it's "all about results", what fueled the non achievement of those other results were the poor game-plans, crude tactics and some truly bizarre decision making, along with some serious questions arising about the quality of the pre-game practice & preparation.

I'd have no confidence that it would be any different in the Euro 2020 qualifiers. By standards, the manager and deputy are earning a fortune for what is a part time job and get bonuses for not failing at it. It's a dream job for a manager and I don't foresee a lack of good candidates should MON's ice cold grip on it be loosened.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Surprised at the lack of support for MO’N on twitter and on here. The Danish hammering has really wiped out the credits he had surely built up over the past two campaigns. Look at some of the results we got.....a shame really. I think once that happens the clock is ticking - even if Stoke appoint somebody else the game is nearly up.

I get Owlsfan’s point about the style not being important because it’s only 7 games a year. But on the flip side I’d say for vast majority of Irish home supporters this is the only ‘live’ football they get to see in a year!!! Watching Klopp’s rampaging Liverpool side on the box or Rodgers Celtic side beating pub teams is what is important. “Why can’t Ireland play like that” they cry on the 42, twitter and elsewhere.

Back in the real world I’d give it to Kenny and build for 2022.

5. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    I think if the Danish result wasn't long overdue based on our previous performances, he'd have more support.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Based on our (limited) quality, getting to the playoffs should be the barometer of success or not IMO. By that metric, I feel Martin should keep his job. He certainly has not been perfect but he has to be in the conversation for one of our best managers of all time. There was a long dark period after McCarthy left and I'm not eager to roll the dice again.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker1982 View Post

Back in the real world I’d give it to Kenny and build for 2022.
    Doubt he'd have the respect from all players tbh. It's very hard to know who should get the job.
    Last edited by TrapAPony; 11/01/2018 at 9:42 PM.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Stoke have offered Flores a five year deal according to Sky Sports

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Sky aren't really committing to that, a such - http://www.skysports.com/transfer-centre

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Sports
    Sky Sports News has been told by a senior source at Stoke City that the club is keeping its search for a new manager secret, and that no information has been given out to any journalist.

They are adamant that any name being reported in connection with the job is speculation from outside the club.

Spanish sources are briefing that the former Watford manager Quique Sanchez Flores has been offered a five year deal, if he accepts the chance to leave Espanyol.

But sources in Ireland are saying that Martin O’Neill has been made an offer which involves a deal beyond the end of this season, and Roy Keane will follow him to Stoke as assistant manager. We understand both Sanchez-Flores and O’Neill are under consideration.

SSN have spoken to one of the three men involved in the selection process at Stoke this evening and none of that information has leaked from the club. Stoke say there will be no comment from them until they announce their new manager.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    O'Neill's in a tricky spot, even if he doesn't get the Stoke job I don't see how he can continue with us. If he was saying that the Denmark game was a nightmare but he's fully committed to trying to put things right then maybe give him a chance, but he's gotta go now. What happens if we're in the middle of a campaign and he has his head turned again. I think he did ok in the absence of Coleman and McCarthy in the last campaign and I would suggest that he's the only manager in the last 30 years or more, not to have had an all-time great Irish player at his disposal (Robbie being old and benched). At the same time, I'd rather a change now.
    Le monde est a nous

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Are the FAI/Denis O'Brien still handing over cash to MON and Keane while all this is going on?
    Havin a weekend away is quite frankly,lettin ur team mates down!

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizzer View Post
    O'Neill's in a tricky spot, even if he doesn't get the Stoke job I don't see how he can continue with us. If he was saying that the Denmark game was a nightmare but he's fully committed to trying to put things right then maybe give him a chance, but he's gotta go now. What happens if we're in the middle of a campaign and he has his head turned again. I think he did ok in the absence of Coleman and McCarthy in the last campaign and I would suggest that he's the only manager in the last 30 years or more, not to have had an all-time great Irish player at his disposal (Robbie being old and benched). At the same time, I'd rather a change now.
    I am inclined to agree. It is very hard in any walk of life to continue in a job when it is common knowledge that you have applied for a job in another organisation and have been rejected.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    O'Neill waiting on Flores' sloppy seconds...

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Sports
    BREAKING NEWS

Stoke are waiting to hear whether Quique Sanchez Flores will accept their offer to take over as manager. The former Watford boss is expected to inform Stoke of his decision, together with his current employers at Espanyol, later today.

The issue of compensation is not thought to be a problem between the two clubs.

We understand that if Sanchez Flores turns Stoke down, the club will instead firm up an offer to Martin O’Neill.
    http://www.skysports.com/transfer-centre

17. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    I love Martin O'Neill, but this isn't good enough. he us now going to the dinner tonight, the FAI should be camped outside Michaels O'Neill Gaff in Belfast, the lack of signing the contract works both ways mon frère

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    F**k I didn't realize Michael O'Neill actually lived in Scotland

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    MON & his team heading to the SWA awards tonight after all after earlier in the week cancelling so looks like that's that then

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    What are the SWA awards?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    What are the SWA awards?
    SWAI. Soccer Writers Association Ireland.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

23. Thanks From:

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Some very harsh comments about O'Neill on the RTE Website. https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018...e-job-reports/ Here is one for instance by Finto 23 who has got 27 likes for his comments:

"Rejected by Stoke shows precisely the calibre of manager we have. Stoke have rejected prehistoric, no-nonsense route one football in favour of a modern thinking, tactician who understands how developer a squad."

I might be wrong but didn't Stoke have Tony Pullis for a few years who kept them safe and sound in the EPL with his prehistoric, no-nonsense route one football. The Board got tired of that, despite an historic first FA CUP Final and European Football, and decided to appoint Mark Hughes to play a more expansive game which worked for a while until they now find themselves in the relegation zone !!

I'll be interested to see how this modern thinking tactician gets on at Stoke over the next 3 years. Meanwhile MON's achievements for Ireland are consigned to the dustbin and he is now just a "Stoke reject". Forget the halcyon days in France, the games against Germany and the wonderful wins in Austria and Wales. It never ceases to amaze me how quickly fans can turn on their manager.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

25. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Some very harsh comments about O'Neill on the RTE Website. https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018...e-job-reports/ Here is one for instance by Finto 23 who has got 27 likes for his comments:

"Rejected by Stoke shows precisely the calibre of manager we have. Stoke have rejected prehistoric, no-nonsense route one football in favour of a modern thinking, tactician who understands how developer a squad."
    id say finto 23 was one of the first "fans" to moan on the same RTE website when the Denmark ticket public sale sold out after 2 mins thereby denying him the opportunity to get that all important "look at me at the match" selfie for his facebook page

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    The comments on RTE's articles make thejournal look like a hive of compassion

Page 97 of 128 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899107 ... LastLast