Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 115 of 128 FirstFirst ... 1565105113114115116117125 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,300 of 2541

Thread: Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    I think the association of Kenny and Kerr comes from their obvious connection to the league of Ireland (although Kerr only played two league of Ireland players during his tenure) and their reputation of playing good, creative, attacking football. I'd ask anyone who anyone who still thinks Kerr did that at international level to go back and watch his last two games.
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 18/11/2018 at 9:37 PM. Reason: two players. forgot he gave Crowe an appearance

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Not sure Kenny would get the respect of the players in the same way Kerr only got the respect of the players he had underage. I could be wrong but that’s the impression I got at the time.

Still, I’d support whoever got the job.

O’Neill needs a miracle in Denmark to keep his job. Or, you know...a goalless draw

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Not sure Kenny would get the respect of the players in the same way Kerr only got the respect of the players he had underage. I could be wrong but that’s the impression I got at the time.
    I would tend to agree which is why I suggested that he would develop the relationships, trust & respect better with a wider pool of players as U21 Manager or Senior Team Assistant Manager that would allow him to step into the Senior Team Manager role at some point in the future.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    What is the general view here on the 3-5-2 or whatever formation we have been playing? I know it's the vogue formation in the Premier League now and perhaps if we had Declan Rice or a similar calibre defensive midfielder we could make it work, but I actually believe it is a key part in our team's dysfunction.

While some players may play in that system at club level I would say they are still the exception rather than the rule. If the preparation is as basic as we've been led to believe, I think 3-5-2 is not a formation conducive to players figuring out on their own like a 4-4-2/4-5-1/4-4-1-1 that is more self evident.

There are many ways to play with a 3-5-2 but the worst way is when your wingbacks play with fear and sit as fullbacks, and you end up with a 5-3-2 against inferior opposition, which we did last night.
    Last edited by irishfan86; 16/11/2018 at 10:02 PM.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    What is the general view here on the 3-5-2 or whatever formation we have been playing? I know it's the vogue formation in the Premier League now and perhaps if we had Declan Rice or a similar calibre defensive midfielder we could make it work, but I actually believe it is a key part in our team's dysfunction.

While some players may play in that system at club level I would say they are still the exception rather than the rule. If the preparation is as basic as we've been led to believe, I think 3-5-2 is not a formation not conducive to players figuring out on their own like a 4-4-2/4-5-1/4-4-1-1 that is more self evident.

There are many ways to play with a 3-5-2 but the worst way is when your wingbacks play with fear and sit as fullbacks, and you end up with a 5-3-2 against inferior opposition, which we did last night.
    In order for it to work, we need two pillaging wing backs.

We need dynamic midfielders also.

Unfortunately, the team don’t seem to understand the tactics fully. And that’s mainly the manager’s fault

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Mick McCarthy with Damien Duff as assistant manager.

First job is to actually communicate with players in the weeks and months between games. Including finding out whether eligible players are actually interested

Second, when they do communicate it should be for more than just telling them that they are all crap in the media.

Third, have the manager actually turn up to training and set out a plan for games and not just roll in 2 hours before kick off to tell players who is picked.

Not exactly high standards we should be looking for here.

7. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts

Unfortunately, the team don’t seem to understand the tactics fully. And that’s mainly the manager’s fault
    The team are not coached to play the manager's game, it just appears that O'Neill assigns roles and tactics written on the back of a sweet afton pack, 30 minutes before the game.
    I think our best option is 4231 but with another coach. 4231 suits teams who are deficient in skills, but allows for other strengths, teamwork, counterattack and pressure upfront on the opposition. Good full backs should be able to get forward when it's practical, two midfielders in front of the back 4 give good protection against (for the most part) better ball playing teams. We have plenty of players who can play in the three midfield positions and An Other up front.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    The idea of the players not respecting Kenny, were he given the job, makes me really laugh.

These lads fail to do the basics of the game, simple cross-field passes going out for an opposition throw, mistakes galore, no idea what to do with the ball, no movement, etc etc.... hammered by Wales and blessed not to be last night, they hardly try a leg in front of the fans who journey to see them....pathetic stuff.
    If they're too big-headed not to listen to a fella like Kenny then I wouldn't have them in the squad. They don't have a leg to stand on, this is a nadir.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IsMiseSean View Post
    O'Neill has really just continued the Trap mindset (bar the Euros) of giving up possession and being happy defending for 90mins.
    Martin O'Neill is even worse than Trapattoni and I really disliked Trap's attempt at football. O'Neill has a 35% win record as manager of Ireland, which is joint worse wins record of any manager we have from the Charlton days until now. A loss against Denmark will mean he has the worse record of any recent Irish manager. We don't even have a go anymore, we are almost happy if we just see a shot on target. He is doing countless damage to Irish football and how he can still be left in charge after the horrendous style of football we play, the performances we have produced and all the stories off the pitch is beyond a joke at this stage. The FAI need to find the money and sack him.
    Last edited by TrapAPony; 17/11/2018 at 12:16 AM.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    I think Stephen Kenny could do for us what mon has done with NI. Id maybe take Lennon but id stay away from the dinosaur types MON mccarthy kerr trap allardyce etc. Although i could probably accept Strachan. Chris Wilder would be my first choice although i dont think wed get him. Either way mon has to go.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    558 Posts
    Turn over to the Rugby until the terrible two get the Heave Ho .

Delaney won’t act until it hits the bottom line .

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    558 Posts
    If only we had a Joe Schmidt managing the soccer team .

O’ Neill is like a Rugby manager from the 70s....Away ye go lads !

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jovial Rambler View Post
    I think Stephen Kenny could do for us what mon has done with NI. Id maybe take Lennon but id stay away from the dinosaur types MON mccarthy kerr trap allardyce etc. Although i could probably accept Strachan. Chris Wilder would be my first choice although i dont think wed get him. Either way mon has to go.
    Did you mean Gene Wilder?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts

I agree we don't seem to understand the tactics part of it, but we need eleven players (that includes the keeper) who can keep possession of the ball. Any time I ever coached kids I always told them there are three fundamentals which will determine whether you make it or not in the game. They are (a) ball control / first touch (b) shielding the ball (c) change of direction. Watch any Champions League game and you'll see every player can do all of the above. Unfortunately the Irish lads need to go back to those fundementals (if they ever had it to begin with) in order to be successful.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    Did you mean Gene Wilder?
    If we go with him then we’ll be in a world of pure imagination. What we’d see would defy expectationnnn.

18. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yard of Pace View Post
    The idea of the players not respecting Kenny, were he given the job, makes me really laugh.

These lads fail to do the basics of the game, simple cross-field passes going out for an opposition throw, mistakes galore, no idea what to do with the ball, no movement, etc etc.... hammered by Wales and blessed not to be last night, they hardly try a leg in front of the fans who journey to see them....pathetic stuff.
    If they're too big-headed not to listen to a fella like Kenny then I wouldn't have them in the squad. They don't have a leg to stand on, this is a nadir.
    I heard that comment that some players might not listen to a fella like Kenny on one of the radio sports shows, it's just a random comment from someone on the radio, it doesn't have any merit, never mind reflect views of the players. I suspect the players would be basking in a freedom from tyranny honeymoon period should Kenny be offered and take the job.
    What we need is TO'D to stand up tall, stick the mike up into Mon's face and with a manic grin ask would he not admit to the reality and resign like a real sporting gent, that even Clough knew when he was past it.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    The notion that the players wouldn't listen to Kenny is laughable. Most of the current squad haven't played a game in Europe whilst Kenny has managed a team there. Also he's an impressive and intelligent man when he speak. First impressions would be strong there. Lads that don't listen to him might be the same lads that allowed former Shams manager and his League One strikeforce press them to the hilt against NI.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    The ultimate failing with Kerr was he wanted to do the job. And by that I mean he didn't want to leave any stone underturned, a Joe Schmidt mindset you can say. For the players, the international games are a break from "work".

Think Kenny would face the same culture Kerr encountered.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    I think he wanted to do it too much, players didn't want to watch DVDs of Cyprus IIRC

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    The ultimate failing with Kerr was he wanted to do the job. And by that I mean he didn't want to leave any stone underturned, a Joe Schmidt mindset you can say. For the players, the international games are a break from "work".
    The senior players at the time included Robbie Keane and Shay Given, who were partial to a bit of partying. They have retired now, and I think the new generation of Irish players are much more professional. Seamus Coleman being the shining example.