Results 2,521 to 2,540 of 2541

Thread: Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    For sure. Nottingham Post speculating further - https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport...eaking-3030966
    I'm glad the article refers to him as the "Northern Irishman".

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    Sabri Lamouchi was one of my favourite all-time players for Parma, even though he was probably past his peak when signed despite being relatively unknown this side of the world I reckon. He was a really really smooth player, and if he coaches like he played, then Forest are going to see some very fluid football.
    You know too much

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I think it's safe to say Kingdom didn't write his Wikipedia page! - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabri_Lamouchi

He then went on to join Monaco, who he helped to the Ligue 1 title in 2000, before being snapped up by Parma of Italy. Even though he had an average season, he was again on the move this time to Italian giants Internazionale. He also struggled there, and failed to win a place in the team.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    It's also safe to say Nottm Post didn't write his wiki page either.

'But who is Lamouchi?
    French international : During his playing days, the midfielder turned out for a host of star studded clubs including Marseille, Parma and Inter Milan.
    He was, however, at the peak of his powers during his time at Monaco, during which time he picked up 12 caps for his native France, scoring once.'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    A lot of people delighted that O’Neill has failed at Forest it seems.
    The last year with ROI was a disaster but when I think of O’Neill’s era for Ireland I think of O’Shea against Germany, Long against Germany, Brady scoring in the fog, Walters sending us to the Euros in the second leg, Sweden and Italy in the Euros, putting it up to a fresher France in the Euros who should’ve won that competition and went on to win the World Cup in style.
    And of course that famous 7-0 win against Gibraltar!!!

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    You know too much
    In true half-glass empty form, I'm going to take that as both sarcasm, an insult and a threat. Thankfully I'll claim diplomatic immunity for any kneecappings.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

9. Thanks From:

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    The last year with ROI was a disaster but when I think of O’Neill’s era for Ireland I think of O’Shea against Germany, Long against Germany, Brady scoring in the fog, Walters sending us to the Euros in the second leg, Sweden and Italy in the Euros, putting it up to a fresher France in the Euros who should’ve won that competition and went on to win the World Cup in style.

Really?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    Really?
    You can be a dick if your winning, but if your a dick and your losing then your in serious hot water

12. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Where do you see the delight? Don't mistake delight for expectation of the inevitable. It was a bad expensive move by Nottm Forest to appoint the duo, this was flagged from the off.
    And MON should have stood up for and supported Arter over and above the interests of bootboy Keane, those type of things matter a lot to a team.
    Co

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Where do you see the delight? Don't mistake delight for expectation of the inevitable. It was a bad expensive move by Nottm Forest to appoint the duo, this was flagged from the off.
    And MON should have stood up for and supported Arter over and above the interests of bootboy Keane, those type of things matter a lot to a team.
    Co
    Perhaps not as much here as on The 42 and elsewhere. My real point was that I have great memories from O'Neill's era and I thank him and his team for that, as much as it fell apart in the last year.
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Where do you see the delight? Don't mistake delight for expectation of the inevitable.
    Oh there was delight, it may have been invisible to the naked foot.ie eye, but it was there in abundance. I'm with Fixer though generally, despite the last year or so being a real low and MON being a major part of that. He still oversaw some of our best times, which don't come around very often.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Some interesting tidbits on O'Neill's management style from an article on the 08/09 Villa season on The Athletic.

Before each game, Martin O’Neill would walk into the Aston Villa dressing room and stare intently at his matchday notes.
    The players already knew what was coming and would start sniggering and laughing between themselves, hoping not to catch the manager’s eye. “Same team, same subs” O’Neill would say with conviction, removing any need for holding what was in his hand with those four words that become synonymous with that season.
    “It became a running joke between the lads,” laughs Steve Sidwell when discussing with The Athletic the 2008-09 season where Villa missed out on the chance to rock the top order in the Premier League. “We were actually going to buy a racehorse, put on Villa’s colours and call it ‘same team same subs’.”
    O’Neill, in the words of his former Villa colleagues, was a “creature of habit”. He had a core group of around 13 first-team favourites and felt there was no need to rotate a team when it was performing well and winning, which at Villa was the case for a large chunk of that particular season.
    Tactically, there wasn’t much attention to detail and training wasn’t always as high and intense as it would have been under other managers. Set-piece practice rarely existed and instead it was “let Martin Laursen jump up and win every header”. There wouldn’t be much game-to-game variation either, as Davies explains: “If there was a plan, it was our better players win us the game, we never had clear tactical guidance. It was: read the names from the team sheet, go out and win the game. Our only alternative was, instead of using all the players, give it to Ash (Young)!

19. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OMTY View Post
    Some interesting tidbits on O'Neill's management style from an article on the 08/09 Villa season on The Athletic.
    Surprising the North are not looking at him. Sure Roy would be great up there if things went wrong with a gang of Loyalists out for....... ! !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    I'm glad the article refers to him as the "Northern Irishman".
    Why???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OMTY View Post
    For all the mocking, he was easily Villa's best manager of the last 10-15 years and, let's face it, ours too. It's not saying a lot, but it is saying something.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    It’s certainly easy to mock. But it’s easier said than done to identify your best XI and get the best out of them on a consistent basis. Certainly it seems he doesn’t overanalyze the game — that’s clear.

But perhaps he’s enjoyed some success as a relative counterbalance to managers who get into what many would see as irrelevant minutiae. For some players it could be initially refreshing to not have the micromanagement that has become so dominant at the highest level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    He was a revelation to Celtic also when he took over.
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Some pretty bitter comments here, regards Kenny and O'Neill's own departure: https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2023...-by-the-media/

Does he have a point? I don't know if he was treated differently to any manager before him, but I certainly agree that Kenny has gotten a very easy ride for a very long time.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    The last year of MON was desperate stuff. And when senior players like Doherty said he didn't even take training it gave the impression he wasn't even that committed. I think he's a *****ly character who doesn't take criticism well. He should have a thicker skin imho.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Some pretty bitter comments here, regards Kenny and O'Neill's own departure: https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2023...-by-the-media/

Does he have a point? I don't know if he was treated differently to any manager before him, but I certainly agree that Kenny has gotten a very easy ride for a very long time.
    I think O’Neill has a point but doesn’t come across well by making it.

There were periods where O’Neill had the team playing as more than the sum of its parts, but near the end, it definitely felt like time for a change.

I think Kenny has been given more time because there’s a widespread feeling this squad is incredibly weak/young. We needed a complete rebuild and I don’t think many managers in world football would have been able to bring us to qualification with these players.

As we approach the next campaign, some of these guys will be a year older, Evan Ferguson will hopefully continue to improve even further.

I’m sympathetic to Kenny in some ways and I admire his push to get this team to play possession football, but a fresh start is probably needed.

29. Thanks From: