Page 113 of 128 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115123 ... LastLast
Results 2,241 to 2,260 of 2541

Thread: Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    A Scotland side you were borderline in awe of for a while (in comparison to ourselves)?

It's unquestionably the best Welsh side ever too, European semi finalists. I think finishing ahead of them with what is generally perceived as one of our worst group of players in decades is a big enough achievement.

Germany and Poland were better than us. Finishing third in that group meets the minimum requirement. Beating Bosnia in the playoff exceeds the minimum requirement. Making the knockouts of the tournament itself is pretty much dreamland. Yes, third place finishes being rewarded was clearly a major advantage for O'Neill over previous managers, but I wasn't comparing him to previous managers. If I was I could argue the point that they generally had much better players anyway.

We also outperformed/outqualified Bosnia, Austria and Sweden along the way too.

The major high points were the wins over Germany & Italy, along with wins in Vienna and Cardiff and obviously beating Bosnia to secure qualification. You could throw in the late equaliser in Gelsenkirchen too. That is not a shabby list by any means over the period of two campaigns.
    also, two of the six third placed teams didn't make it through to the last 16 of the euros.
    a lot of sense in your post above. yes, the last 12 months have not been great but the darkest of the night is just before the dawn... as they say!

2. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    A Scotland side you were borderline in awe of for a while (in comparison to ourselves)?

It's unquestionably the best Welsh side ever too, European semi finalists. I think finishing ahead of them with what is generally perceived as one of our worst group of players in decades is a big enough achievement.

Germany and Poland were better than us. Finishing third in that group meets the minimum requirement. Beating Bosnia in the playoff exceeds the minimum requirement. Making the knockouts of the tournament itself is pretty much dreamland. Yes, third place finishes being rewarded was clearly a major advantage for O'Neill over previous managers, but I wasn't comparing him to previous managers. If I was I could argue the point that they generally had much better players anyway.

We also outperformed/outqualified Bosnia, Austria and Sweden along the way too.

The major high points were the wins over Germany & Italy, along with wins in Vienna and Cardiff and obviously beating Bosnia to secure qualification. You could throw in the late equaliser in Gelsenkirchen too. That is not a shabby list by any means over the period of two campaigns.
    Yeah, I agree largely. Scotland were actually quite good for Strachan's first 18 months or so. But we were till lucky 3rd place qualified!

O'Neill definitely had some great moments, more than most, but there's a lot I just don't like about him (anymore - I used to think he was the bees knees) and when results were good they compensated for that. They don't now and I think he is very lucky to be still in this job, particularly when it seemed he wasn't even that keen on it himself last year.

4. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    also, two of the six third placed teams didn't make it through to the last 16 of the euros.
    a lot of sense in your post above. yes, the last 12 months have not been great but the darkest of the night is just before the dawn... as they say!
    I hope you're right!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Where I bide, the darkest of the night is just followed by more darkness.

If I was to draw a parallel with us now and some place in O'Neill's career it would be with his last job at Sunderland. He went from a good beginning to that losing streak, couldn't buy a win, manager O'Neill was having no impact, yet he was totally convinced that he could save Sunderland from relegation and still does to this day remain absolutely convinced of that. As everybody knows he was sacked, some nutcase manager was brought in and even he could bring about the highly improbable and save Sunderland from the drop.
    I'd guess that many observers of Sunderland's plight at that time had little confidence in O'Neill's bravado.
    Last edited by geysir; 23/10/2018 at 10:14 PM.

7. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Yeah, I agree largely. Scotland were actually quite good for Strachan's first 18 months or so. But we were till lucky 3rd place qualified!

O'Neill definitely had some great moments, more than most, but there's a lot I just don't like about him (anymore - I used to think he was the bees knees) and when results were good they compensated for that. They don't now and I think he is very lucky to be still in this job, particularly when it seemed he wasn't even that keen on it himself last year.
    If only you'd listened to me at the time when I told you Scotland always choke.

9. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Where I bide, the darkest of the night is just followed by more darkness.

If I was to draw a parallel with us now and some place in O'Neill's career it would be with his last job at Sunderland. He went from a good beginning to that losing streak, couldn't buy a win, manager O'Neill was having no impact, yet he was totally convinced that he could save Sunderland from relegation and still does to this day remain absolutely convinced of that. As everybody knows he was sacked, some nutcase manager was brought in and even he could bring about the highly improbable and save Sunderland from the drop.
    I'd guess that many observers of Sunderland's plight at that time had little confidence in O'Neill's bravado.
    It is bravado, and its also boll*x. When we won in Vienna to top the group, he couldn't talk us down enough, everyone should remember that. We consequently shrivelled and shrunk and that is still in process. All that ensuing campaign he talked us down, but now suddenly we are going to do the business in a group he doesn't even know his opponent yet ?? Balls. Self preservation and insulting peoples intelligence.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Totally. Hopefully it works though.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    https://www.the42.ie/martin-oneill-r...urce=shortlink

Ego and insecurity have followed Martin O'Neill around for his entire career.

For the Republic of Ireland boss, the smugness isn’t a good look when so much negativity currently surrounds the Irish side.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    That article wont help his insecurity!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    558 Posts
    Could Mick McCarthy give some pointers to Roy Keane in his assistant coach role i.e. some actual coaching .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    Put together the below table...the columns are the debuts of players between 17 and 21 per year...it's disturbing how few U22 players have debuted under Trap and Mon

Years is rounded off
    Its really disturbing...arghr

Manager Career Matches Players Debuted Years as Manager
    Steve Staunton 2006–2007 17 11 2
    Mick McCarthy 1996–2002 68 15 6
    Brian Kerr 2003–2005 33 7 3
    Martin O'Neill 2013– 51 3 6
    Giovanni Trapattoni 2008–2013 64 6 5

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rebelmusic; 31/10/2018 at 6:23 PM.

18. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Second Captains and Off The Ball both went heavy on the Stephen Kenny for Ireland theme yesterday. David Sneyd and Gary Breen were in favour of it. Very interesting view from Dan McDonnell who reckons that this Euro campaign might come too soon and that Kenny fancies a good run in Europe next season due to superior seeding so the long term approach could and perhaps should be Kenny.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Who's the other young player O'Neill debuted?
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Second Captains and Off The Ball both went heavy on the Stephen Kenny for Ireland theme yesterday. David Sneyd and Gary Breen were in favour of it. Very interesting view from Dan McDonnell who reckons that this Euro campaign might come too soon and that Kenny fancies a good run in Europe next season due to superior seeding so the long term approach could and perhaps should be Kenny.
    I find it interesting that there's been so much talk about "the next Ireland manager" lately; marks a clear public perception shift I think.

Possible Kenny could be best served coming in as U21 manager for a couple of years before moving up to the seniors, just to get used to the fold. Nothing against him particularly; but it's something that's worked at other countries - Southgate at England, Löw at Germany (who was assistant manager, not 21s manager, but same idea) - and it'd fit in with King seemingly not having his contract renewed while we can't afford to sack MON until after the upcoming qualifying campaign.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    558 Posts
    Not much demand for Roy Keane by any clubs . Could this gig be his last hurrah at coaching / managing ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Not much demand for Roy Keane by any clubs . Could this gig be his last hurrah at coaching / managing ?
    Given his reputation as a player, he will have opportunities, at least as an assistant. They may not be the sexiest, but there will be opportunities -- see the reports during the last campaign about Israel's interest.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

25. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Who's the other young player O'Neill debuted?
    Your looking at the wrong column. He debuted 3

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Was looking at MON's Wikipedia page. He's on course to spending the most time he has in any managerial role in his career with Ireland. He did 5 years at Wycombe, Leicester and Celtic and is in his 5th year with us. Interesting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rebelmusic View Post
    Your looking at the wrong column. He debuted 3

All I see is O’Dowda and Rice. Who’s the other one?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    All I see is O’Dowda and Rice. Who’s the other one?
    Hendrick