Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Forde, for now at least
    Coleman-OShea-CB2-Wilson
    McCarthy Gibson
    McGeady Hoolahan Brady
    Long or Doyle

Maybe Wilson or Delaney at CB or Dunne if he's in good shape. I'd be tempted to go with Clark at LB if Wilson is CB.

I think McLean, Pilkington and Brady are all good players with some part to play. I still believe Andy Reid can do a job this campaign. I'm not sure which of Long or Doyle. Both need to step up performances at club level.

I'd give Stokes a chance somewhere along the line if I could.

Gibson must impress or run the risk of Meyler or Hendrick taking that spot. Maybe Hendrick has more bite.

It's such a shame that the summer tour, while possibly putting some people down the order, failed to elevate people other than Meyler and Hendock up the order. There are still an awful lot of open questions.
    Not too different Stutts from mine. I forgot to include a goalkeeper, Westwood would be my choice. Ardee, normally we are of the same opinion, but I disagree with you. I think with this bunch of players and a more positive, adventurous approach, we can do okay!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Aye but a long way between ''OK" and automatic qualification IMO.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Qualification is not that big of a target for a 24 team Euros, even Trap managed one Finals and nearly managed it another time. The big deal is to go to the Finals after scrapping it out with Poland and Scotland and do ourselves proud against the better teams.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Well Brazil lost 7-1 to Germany and we only lost 6-1 so comforting to know we are better than Brazil.
    Our follow up 3-0 defeat shows what a strong side we have become.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    Not too different Stutts from mine. I forgot to include a goalkeeper, Westwood would be my choice. Ardee, normally we are of the same opinion, but I disagree with you. I think with this bunch of players and a more positive, adventurous approach, we can do okay!
    We are that strong these days we will probably do just fine without a keeper.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    783 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Qualification is not that big of a target for a 24 team Euros, even Trap managed one Finals and nearly managed it another time. The big deal is to go to the Finals after scrapping it out with Poland and Scotland and do ourselves proud against the better teams.
    One step at a time. It is a BIG target to qualify. We can worry about doing well against the big teams afterwards.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,707 Posts
    I agree. Qualification is the big target. Then we reboot and focus on the tournament proper.

I think some historic perspective is needed. I think we have deluded ourselves in some respects given how we had a good record getting out of groups.

Euro 88: some great performances but still "only" 4 points. 3rd in group.
    WC90: two ok performances, one awful performance, two resolute / competitive performances. Nothing on a par with Hannover though. Two goals scored, both from opposition mistakes. No games won after 90 or 120 minutes.
    WC94: one great performance, one ok and two muck. Two goals scored, one game in four won.
    WC02: two decent (although the German appraisal has become a bit revisionist - Germany wasted a hatful of chances), one good and one really ballsy performance (Spain). We actually scored a few goals for a change.
    Eur12: 3 defeats. One for, lots against. Caveat being it was a very hard group.

I'm not trying to revise downwards the appreciation of what went before, just trying to show that even in our heyday we found it hard to impress on the big stage. It's hard and this World Cup showed how the second-placed European teams struggled. Only France did well and they're not your typical European second seed.

Qualify, hope for a good draw, play well, get some luck and only then is progress beyond group stage feasible I reckon.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Agreed, just don't think we have the quality. or more importantly the commitment of the players.

Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    One step at a time. It is a BIG target to qualify. We can worry about doing well against the big teams afterwards.
    Exactly.

I agree. Qualification is the big target. Then we reboot and focus on the tournament proper.

I think some historic perspective is needed. I think we have deluded ourselves in some respects given how we had a good record getting out of groups.

Euro 88: some great performances but still "only" 4 points. 3rd in group.
    WC90: two ok performances, one awful performance, two resolute / competitive performances. Nothing on a par with Hannover though. Two goals scored, both from opposition mistakes. No games won after 90 or 120 minutes.
    WC94: one great performance, one ok and two muck. Two goals scored, one game in four won.
    WC02: two decent (although the German appraisal has become a bit revisionist - Germany wasted a hatful of chances), one good and one really ballsy performance (Spain). We actually scored a few goals for a change.
    Eur12: 3 defeats. One for, lots against. Caveat being it was a very hard group.

I'm not trying to revise downwards the appreciation of what went before, just trying to show that even in our heyday we found it hard to impress on the big stage. It's hard and this World Cup showed how the second-placed European teams struggled. Only France did well and they're not your typical European second seed.

Qualify, hope for a good draw, play well, get some luck and only then is progress beyond group stage feasible I reckon.
    Fair assessment of the past, the future is far more uncertain. For reasons see above and posts passim.
    My money is on us missing out in the play-offs.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,707 Posts
    I hope you're wrong about the commitment. That would be the worst indictment of all.

We'll see about the quality. I'm not as downbeat as you are on that front but goals are a worry. I'd like to think we can at least go toe to toe with Scotland and Poland.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Look at the last 5 years or so, the number of pull-out/withdrawals is shocking. Hence some of the muppets who've appeared in a green shirt.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,707 Posts
    Yep, I agree to an extent but I don't think withdrawals of the likes of Reid, Dunne, Clark and some others are anything but genuine. I think the MON era might be different to the Trap era where a combination of bad attitude, bad communication policy and bad man management led to withdrawals. I think there is a core of enthusiastic and committed players. Some, like Stokes, don't convince me but then again, it's a clean slate and I suspect his injury was genuine in May.

The Wilson family wedding was a bit cr@p, as was Walters' holiday in Dubai, but then again they all came back for the US trip and there was no great value in them being there for the whole 4 games. I'll give the players and MON the benefit of the doubt here. I don't see Keane, whatever about MON, tolerating slackers, though I'd be inclined to guess Cobh nut job will be in the set up soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I hope you're wrong about the commitment. That would be the worst indictment of all.

We'll see about the quality. I'm not as downbeat as you are on that front but goals are a worry. I'd like to think we can at least go toe to toe with Scotland and Poland.
    We can go toe to toe, but in Strachan i think they have a far better manager. He is very articulate and seems very good at motivating and organising players to the best of their ability and the team as a whole. He is the only one who really caught my attention during the world cup, and his analysis and thought process was far better than O'Neills.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    There's that and the fact Scotland/Alba are playing like a team. Was very impressed with their approach to the game I went to. Not the greatest players, but looked very cohesive and generally acquitted themselves well within their (& WGS's) 'system'.

Regardless of what we think and our fanciful selections, do MO'N/RMK even know their strongest team? Not entirely their fault, but I doubt it. And even more so, unlikely this 'ideal' team have even ever played together...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-30423366.html

Ireland to play U.S.A. in friendly this November.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Once upon a time it was a big target, now it's just a target which has been made a lot easier, it would be a big failure to miss this target.
    Under this criteria we would have even qualified with Stan for Euro 2008, 7 qual groups, top 3 go through. Think about that one before claiming this to be a BIG target.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Only the best 3rd place team...play-offs for us at best.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2016

18. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,707 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    There's that and the fact Scotland/Alba are playing like a team. Was very impressed with their approach to the game I went to. Not the greatest players, but looked very cohesive and generally acquitted themselves well within their (& WGS's) 'system'.

Regardless of what we think and our fanciful selections, do MO'N/RMK even know their strongest team? Not entirely their fault, but I doubt it. And even more so, unlikely this 'ideal' team have even ever played together...
    Were you impressed by the Irish performance at the same venue a few days later? Probably the most like for like?

In hindsight though, I'd almost have preferred if Monkeano had used a smaller group of players in early summer and used the 3 weeks to get ideas across. Although the tour probably ruled several players out of serious contention, a bit of foresight and conviction might have done this anyway.

Still, Oman, Georgia (not a gimme, I accept) and Gibraltar are still to be played before the first crunch games. By then we should be much further down the road.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Only the best 3rd place team...play-offs for us at best.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2016
    Maybe I have to spell it out more clearly
    In 2008 Euro qualifiers there were 7 groups, we finished a clear 3rd. That makes 21 teams, 2 hosts, and there would have been one play off (as there was in 1996) to find the last team. In a 24 team Euros in 2008, we would have qualified with Stan at the helm.
    Nowadays, what Stan dismally managed to achieve has become a difficult big target.

My point is simple, qualification is just a target, not a big target not the be all and end all, but missing the target would be a big failure. Nevertheless, we could conceivably qualify for Euro 2016 and still retain most aspects of our current dysfunctions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Once upon a time it was a big target, now it's just a target which has been made a lot easier, it would be a big failure to miss this target.
    Under this criteria we would have even qualified with Stan for Euro 2008, 7 qual groups, top 3 go through. Think about that one before claiming this to be a BIG target.
    disaster as stans only campaign was we still managed 8 points at home against czech rep, germany, slovakia and wales. would very gladly take a similar return from our home matches against germany, poland, scotland and georgia this time.

Page 43 of 128 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast