Page 66 of 128 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876116 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,320 of 2544

Thread: Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    The ego thing and how he regarded Ireland whilst a player under Fergie. Though like I said, it wasn't just him who behaved like this, according to the source who may have embellished this theory.
    Ryan Giggs too rarely featured for Wales in friendly games under Fergie. What were the records of other United players at the time like in terms of friendly international appearances?

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    So Villa might win, or Burnley might win, or it could be a draw
    Could be match abandoned.

Anyhow we shall see in a few hours.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    O'Neill on Keane's departure from Villa:

According to O'Neill, Keane never had a summer holiday due to his commitment. O'Neill suggests the inevitable limit placed upon family time by pursuing two roles may have influenced his decision to give one up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Villa winning, pretty much as I predicted

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    1-1 I believe I predicted that too.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Still 3 mins to go so I am on for a treble.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Ings just hit the post. So close Tricky.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Juck...Juci...Jukwic...your man who could play for us had a great chance to win it too.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    The Polish fella from the South Coast? Grandparent eligibility?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    'Roy Keane's shock Aston Villa exit sparked celebrations in the dressing room': http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footba...-villa-4719930

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Moxley
    Roy Keane walked out on Aston Villa to the sound of cheering from Paul Lambert’s dressing-room, writes Neil Moxley in the Sunday People.

Villa’s players broke into applause when the Irishman’s exit was confirmed on Friday morning.

And although he walked and was not sacked by Villa boss Lambert, the club’s first-team squad were still happy to see the back of him.

Matters came to a head after Villa’s toothless defeat to QPR at Loftus Road last month. Manchester United legend Keane rounded on several Villa players, calling them out after a pitiful display during the loss.

Insiders have confirmed to Sunday People Sport that Keane suffered “a real head loss” following their no-show in west London.
    Tets; it's kind of become taken-for-granted now, I know, but is there any way you can amend the ridiculous thread title to 'Martin O'Neill/Roy Keane' or something? It's almost like when someone's been referring to you by the wrong name for so long because you never bothered correcting them the first time, so it has stuck and eventually becomes too late to correct them. Or is it worth preserving as a sort of forum in-joke?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    The Polish fella from the South Coast? Grandparent eligibility?
    Some randomer who is completely ambivalent about playing Intl. football for Ireland, who said he would like to play for Poland if England didn't select him, who has been bang average at Championship level and continued that form into the Premier League; and yet some people would rather continue to hand out caps like confetti to people like him than reward lads like Alan Judge, Alan McCormack and Jonathan Douglas who have all been a credit to a promotion chasing Brentford team and would give their right arm to be selected for their country.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,332 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Some randomer who is completely ambivalent about playing Intl. football for Ireland, who said he would like to play for Poland if England didn't select him, who has been bang average at Championship level and continued that form into the Premier League; and yet some people would rather continue to hand out caps like confetti to people like him than reward lads like Alan Judge, Alan McCormack and Jonathan Douglas who have all been a credit to a promotion chasing Brentford team and would give their right arm to be selected for their country.
    O'Neill and Keane have only handed out three new caps since taking over more than a year ago - Elliott (who was already involved in the squad), Christie and McGoldrick, hardly handed out like confetti
    nobody is calling for Jutkiewicz to be called up, he's barely mentioned playing for the Republic, to be the best of my knowledge he's never been mentioned by management and we're all well aware of the alternatives

Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Tets; it's kind of become taken-for-granted now, I know, but is there any way you can amend the ridiculous thread title to 'Martin O'Neill/Roy Keane' or something? It's almost like when someone's been referring to you by the wrong name for so long because you never bothered correcting them the first time, so it has stuck and eventually becomes too late to correct them. Or is it worth preserving as a sort of forum in-joke?
    Meant to do that for a while actually. The order bothered me more than anything else - Keane and O'Neill made it look like Keane was the manager, with O'Neill his assistant.
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 30/11/2014 at 2:48 PM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    If a player is eligible, willing and deemed good enough, he'll be selected. It's not the same as throwing out confetti at random. Silly comparison. Fair play to them on chasing promotion, but the reason the Brentford lot you mention are not in our squads is because it is deemed that we have better options elsewhere.

Nobody has ever called for the inclusion of Jutkiewicz, or have they? I first came across his eligibility in one of the old Football Manager games and that's probably from where wider knowledge of his eligibility stems, as I don't think he's ever appealed for his own inclusion or even flirted with the notion of representing us.

Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    O'Neill and Keane have only handed out three new caps since taking over more than a year ago - Elliott (who was already involved in the squad), Christie and McGoldrick, hardly handed out like confetti
    Shane Duffy has been another recipient of Martin's infamous confetti.

Meant to do that for a while actually. The order bothered me more than anything else - Keane and O'Neill made it look like Keane was the manager, with O'Neill his assistant.
    The least we can do is have the name of "O Neil" spelled correctly!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts

Who ya talking to?!
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    They have been pursuing eligible players though, largely without success - while ignoring half a dozen players who are interested and wouldn't require paperwork. All they seem to do is wax hypothetical about players who may or may not want to play for us while talking about how crap our talent pool is.

And I never said MON is handing out caps like confetti. I said some people would like to hand out caps like confetti to eligible players.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    They have been pursuing eligible players though, largely without success - while ignoring half a dozen players who are interested and wouldn't require paperwork. All they seem to do is wax hypothetical about players who may or may not want to play for us while talking about how crap our talent pool is.
    You're exaggerating wildly. Queries have been made with certain players and I think Martin made a comment or two about our level/general ability and possible lack of depth at the outset, but it's not all he does. I'd doubt making queries with potential eligible players even consumes anywhere close to majority of his time.

Name the half dozen or so players who've been ignored but you think should be in our squads. Simply being interested and eligible doesn't cut it; you have to also be good enough.

And I never said MON is handing out caps like confetti. I said some people would like to hand out caps like confetti to eligible players.
    Who are these people? Where are they?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    If it wasn't for the degree to which TOWK exaggerates and engages in sophistry I'd have some sympathy with his argument. I personally think O'Neill has been too critical of his talent pool, too vocal of the need to recruit via the granny rule and too vocal about how he is pursuing it. I think the latter places in the enlarged squads lack imagination.

But when it comes to the final squads I think he has got it pretty much right.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I personally think O'Neill has been too critical of his talent pool, too vocal of the need to recruit via the granny rule and too vocal about how he is pursuing it.
    If anything, it's not vocal, or vigorous, enough...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Well Lukas has a thread here therefore we can assume like Paddy Bamford there is widesprwad clamour for their inclusion. That's what I infer from a player with a thread.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,332 Posts
    Really? Apart from Grealish, who they only mention when asked, I don't recall them mentioning any other players.

I think you need to realise the difference between a discussion on an eligible player and calls for him to be capped
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

25. Thanks From: