Page 75 of 128 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785125 ... LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,500 of 2544

Thread: Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    His tenure has been a disaster? Really. What could he have done any different with this team?
    There are players in this team who have should have been got rid of while Trap was in charge. No new players were blooded and then O'Neill was left with a certain group he had to proceed with in order to try to gain qualification.
    Make no mistake about it, Martin O'Neill is one of the best managers out there. His time at the helm of the Ireland team will not change that one jot.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    Wow Mark, for a guy who likes his football smooth and pure Im surprised you can't find fault in O'Neill's style and even selections.

3. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    I'd go for the easy approach. Just upgrade Keane to manager, see how he does for the rest of the campaign. If we do the necessary against Gibraltar and Georgia and something we haven't in an age against either Germany or Poland then let him at it. He would be a risk obviously but then so was Gary Speed at Wales for different reasons (inexperience). At least the long ball approach would be phased out or scrapped, one would imagine. He seems to have the respect/fear of the players and there would be a degree of continuity without having to start from scratch. There have been some signs of progress in the last couple of games so we may as well try to continue on our (admittedly slight) upward curve.
    i go along with this largely, unless some very appealing manager throws his hat in the ring.

my initial reaction on hearing the news was that i really hope it's true followed by 'i hope roy doesnt get the job!'. but if he gets the gig until the end of the campaign he can have no complaints - there's a small chance he might turn things around as he did in his sunderland role.

is there anyone who doesn't want o'neill to go?

edit: just saw mark12345's post so evidently yes...

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Judging by MON record at Sunderland and Ireland, this could be a step backwards Leicester. As I said at the time when he left SAFC, he was the right man but at the wrong time. It's looks like the same with RoI. O'Neill looks like an old fashion manager lost in the modern game and he isn't quite the same with John Robertson. He looks like he's lost the fight and passion he was famous for.

As for Ireland, I'd like to see us go for a Lars Lagerback type manager. I think we need to look throughout world football for the next manager. We went with big name managers on the last two and infairness Trap was a success to a certain extent. But big names don't always work.

6. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    Yes I know that but it's a question of degrees. O'Neill was much worse and said it before we even kicked a ball.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    His tenure has been a disaster? Really. What could he have done any different with this team?
    There are players in this team who have should have been got rid of while Trap was in charge.
    You answered your own question there. He could have used the near-12 months he had to prepare for his first competitive match to overhaul the squad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    You answered your own question there. He could have used the near-12 months he had to prepare for his first competitive match to overhaul the squad.
    honestly who do you think is out there who would improve our squad?
    my main problem with oneill is that he has so far failed to get the most out of our better players in particular. having said that I don't think his tenure has been the disaster some make it out to be.

10. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Fair enough, leave Keane for the remainder of this campaign. But I think we all agree even if we do perform miracles and qualify, we are not going anywhere in the Finals.
    We are way beyond the time and need for a completely different approach to the grass roots game in Ireland (youth football I'm talking about). I've said it here for quite a few years now - if we devoted a portion of the money we are paying to the big name managers to five or six top notch South American youth coaches (look at Chile for Heaven's sake) we would be investing so much more in our future. Let those coaches teach our coaches the finer points of the technical game - something we used to have in Ireland 40 or 50 years ago (believe it or not) but like England have lost it and cannot seem to get it back. I keep hearing about top level Irish coaches coming through, but in all honesty can any of them bring to the table the sort of skills that an Alexis Sanchez, Neymar or Sergio Aguero has (in order to teach those type of skills to our young kids). I think not? So let's start thinking about a whole new approach to the youth set up so that we can reap dividends in fifteen years time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Yes I know that but it's a question of degrees. O'Neill was much worse and said it before we even kicked a ball.
    Yeah and I get the impression Keane wasn't questioning the talent a such, more the desire of players to make the top.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    I can't find much fault with O'Neill himself Stutts. Remember the brilliant performances he got out of Celtic and Leicester during his tenures there.
    Like everyone else I questioned his withdrawing Hoolahan against Scotland, and one or two other personnel choices during his time as Ireland manager. But by and large there is very little else he could have done with this team

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    There have been eyebrow raising tactical and personnel decisions in pretty much every single game.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Eh......no he couldn't. He only had a few matches to work with and although he could have brought in a couple of different players, the table was pretty much set for him. He needed to focus on qualifying for the Euros as his top priority. And in all honesty he did not / does not have too many sharp tools to work with anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Michael O'Neill had no problems getting the best out of Kyle Lafferty & Oliver Norwood.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    I can't find much fault with O'Neill himself Stutts. Remember the brilliant performances he got out of Celtic and Leicester during his tenures there.
    Like everyone else I questioned his withdrawing Hoolahan against Scotland, and one or two other personnel choices during his time as Ireland manager. But by and large there is very little else he could have done with this team
    Does not compute.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Eh......no he couldn't. He only had a few matches to work with and although he could have brought in a couple of different players, the table was pretty much set for him. He needed to focus on qualifying for the Euros as his top priority. And in all honesty he did not / does not have too many sharp tools to work with anyway.

He had 7/8 friendlies over a 1.5 year period before the euro quals kicked off
    My Country is My Club.

Republic of Ireland Forever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um_ZvP2cUdo

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    903 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Calling him a muppet is completely uncalled for.
    I blame gonzo journalism myself.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Look Mark, at the end of the day he's achieved nothing with us and it seems he is abandoning ship halfway through a poor first campaign, and for who... Leicester fecking City. That's how big a job we were to him, less than Leicester, I don't care what his history is there. I felt it in his body language anyway to be honest, even if the mellowing with age explanation was a valid one. Mick McCarthy isn't perfect, but the one thing I always felt with him is that he saw the job as a big deal, a really big deal and an absolute honour. I'd be lying if I said I got the same vibe off O'Neill, in fact I got it a lot more off Roy Keane in a lesser role.

21. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    You're reading way too much into the manager's contribution or lack of. Fact is we do not have a defence worthy of the name (Seamus Coleman is the only quality player - Robbie Brady though quite brilliant at times is a makeshift left back).
    O'Shea, Wilson are not international quality (the comparison others make to Northern Ireland and Wales and Scotland getting the best of similar type players is great but does not apply in O'Shea's case at least because he has been there forever and has failed to do the job on most occasions) and Given is past it (but he has more experience than Westwood and is playing at the top level still).

A midfield with the likes of Whelan preferred (a legitimate weapon to use against MON) cannot expect to function properly, and a posse of superficial players further forward (Walters, McLean, McGeady, Long - all capable of very good performances at times but far too patchy at international level) and an aging world class striker in Robbie, and it is not hard to see why we are struggling. You can talk about all the tactical and personnel decisions you want but at the end of the day these 11 or 14 professionals are the ones who take to the field for any given international and if they are not performing then it does not matter who the manager is

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,358 Posts
    You're reading way too much into the manager's contribution or lack of. Fact is we do not have a defence worthy of the name (Seamus Coleman is the only quality player - Robbie Brady though quite brilliant at times is a makeshift left back).
    O'Shea, Wilson are not international quality (the comparison others make to Northern Ireland and Wales and Scotland getting the best of similar type players is great but does not apply in O'Shea's case at least because he has been there forever and has failed to do the job on most occasions) and Given is past it (but he has more experience than Westwood and is playing at the top level still).

A midfield with the likes of Whelan preferred (a legitimate weapon to use against MON) cannot expect to function properly, and a posse of superficial players further forward (Walters, McLean, McGeady, Long - all capable of very good performances at times but far too patchy at international level) and an aging world class striker in Robbie, and it is not hard to see why we are struggling. You can talk about all the tactical and personnel decisions you want but at the end of the day these 11 or 14 professionals are the ones who take to the field for any given international and if they are not performing then it does not matter who the manager is
    So, what you're saying is, unless we have players like Iniesta, Messi, Ronaldo, De Gea, etc. then we're not going to get anywhere?
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    903 Posts
    Can't say I'd mourn his departure all that much. The tactics have been sterile, we've had players in the wrong positions, and the constant public rubbishing of our players has to have had some impact on morale and confidence (I'm more of the John Lambie 'tell him he's Pele and get him back on' school of motivation). Let Keane use the rest of the games as an audition - we're all but out of realistic contention anyway. If he does well, keep him on; if he doesn't a new manager will have next year's friendlies to get warmed into the job.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.