Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 9 of 128 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    I really don't like people who textbook learn, live the world, learn from people immersed in that culture.
    But if you think reading books is the only way to learn, good luck to you, each to their own.
    I read at college and learnt nothing, I worked for 2 years and learnt everything.

2. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thischarmingman View Post
    I left myself open for that really As unoriginal and unfunny as it was :P
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    You'd think the Daily Record of all papers wouldn't get the two associations confused...

Quote Originally Posted by Daily Record
    Irish FA close to appointing former Celtic boss Martin O'Neill as manager with Roy Keane as assistant
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/f...martin-2678290
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    "Bizarre presser" for Mick McCarthy say some:
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-29735757.html
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    I might think a lot of things about Keane, depending on the time of day, but him and Mon wearing the poppy is a non-issue and regardless whether they wear one in their own time or whether it was just stuck on their lapel without making a donation.

Would I wear a poppy if I was getting paid 200k and it was part of the uniform? I think so - I'd probably just do a De Valera.
    That's fine, but it would be great if were spared all the hard man bull and the "what it means to be irish" nonsense at the same time from the duo. Crikey just do the job

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    John Delaney on Late Late tonight if people are interested, assume its this he's talking about.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

10. Thanks From:

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    F*cking moron of a Journalist

Fair play to Mick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=n7VKCeCpWSQ

Think he would have loved another crack at the Job
    My Country is My Club.

Republic of Ireland Forever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um_ZvP2cUdo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    O'Neill interviewed by Peter Lansley of the Guardian: http://www.theguardian.com/football/...public-ireland

Do not underestimate the fire that still burns in Martin O'Neill's belly. Roy Keane might be the "iconic figure in world football, never mind Irish football" according to the new Republic of Ireland manager but there is no doubt where the buck stops.

They have been cast as the odd couple since O'Neill's unsurprising appointment as Giovanni Trapattoni's successor was followed by his unlikely selection of Keane as assistantbut the Ulsterman will take responsibility for the team's success or failure over the course of the campaign for France 2016.

"I'm the manager," O'Neill says. "Eventually the decisions will fall to me. That doesn't mean I can't rely on Roy's opinion but this was how I worked with John Robertson for years and years [at Leicester City, Celtic and Aston Villa].

"I would have decisions to make and John would have an input but, if you're the manager, you live and die by those decisions. Having said that, I wouldn't be expecting Roy to be playing a passive role."

Will there be room for two such combustible characters in one dugout? It is one thing sharing a touchline for ITV to exchange a few words on a Champions League game, quite another to resurrect the fortunes of an ailing nation which has fallen away dispiritingly since qualifying for last year's European Championship finals in Poland and Ukraine.

"That does not worry me one jot," O'Neill said on Friday, awaiting a coffee as he paused for breath during a whirlwind week taking him from the Basque Country for commentary duties to London for Thursday's contractual finalities and out to Dublin on Saturday morning to meet the Irish press.

"Roy Keane is an iconic figure in world football, never mind the Republic of Ireland, so if you're talking about egos, it doesn't bother me. Roy's appointment has stirred a lot of people, which is great, but right from the off I'd be well aware of that. That's not a problem. Roy is a very strong personality and very well known and people will want to hear his views. Far from shying away from that, I welcome it."

Keane's volcanic relationship with the country he played for 67 times, on whom he walked out on the eve of the 2002 World Cup in Japan, underlines his image as the firebrand of the new Republic management team. Yet it is not so long ago that O'Neill's touchline antics had him down as the Premier League's most emotionally charged manager. Are they so different now? Or is there something of his younger self that the 61-year-old sees in his fellow former Sunderland manager? "Roy has that reputation for more fire than ice and it's probably me being that much older and supposedly a bit wiser that makes people reckon I'll be the calm old head," O'Neill says.

"It's interesting that people take that fire out of their image of me when it's been part of my make-up through a whole managerial career. They ask me if I have regained my enthusiasm for the task after my experience at Sunderland. The answer is I never lost my enthusiasm."

O'Neill's fire was not doused by his 15-month reign at the Stadium of Light but he was burned by it. "In the whole debacle, it gets forgotten that when I first joined, they were third from bottom with 11 points from 14 games," he says. "Because I won a number of games to start with, everyone, including the owner [Ellis Short], started to think we had cracked it.

"[Paolo] Di Canio was allowed to bring in 15 new players at a time and then didn't last six games into this season. Since I left [in March], Sunderland have won three Premier League games. Di Canio, coming in, disparaging about everything, won two of 11 games. They've taken 12 points from a possible 51 since my time.

"I wouldn't have minded the opportunity to be signing 15 players. Nothing is certain in this game but my record in management over 20 years would suggest that we would have got the five points needed to stay up."

O'Neill has a history of improving underachievers and loves the challenge of inspiring an underdog to regain its bite. In his playing days, as Northern Ireland captain, he led the other half of the Emerald Isle to the quarter-finals of the 1982 World Cup and, under the aura of Brian Clough that has of course also covered Keane, helped Nottingham Forest from second-tier also-rans to European champions.

He now has to contend with the best part of a year without competitive games, Ireland's failure to qualify for Brazil 2014 having paved the way for his re-emergence, but he is relishing finding his feet this coming week with friendlies against Latvia and Poland. His contract lasts as long as Ireland's interest in Euro 2016.

"Qualification is what I will be gauging my time there on," he says. "A number of very good managers have done well to lead Ireland to tournaments – Jack Charlton, Mick McCarthy, Giovanni Trapattoni – and we will do our utmost to qualify. That's what we'll be judged on. There's a bit of disappointment lingering around from the end of the last tournament, so maybe it's about trying to galvanise people."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    "Ferguson backs ‘terrific’ appointments of O’Neill and Keane": http://thescore.thejournal.ie/alex-f...67813-Nov2013/

ALEX FERGUSON WAS FULL of praise for Ireland’s new management team on Friday night.

The Scot was at Dublin’s Convention Centre to promote his recently-released autobiography and, when asked by host Eamonn Holmes about the FAI’s decision to hire Martin O’Neill, the former Manchester United boss spoke glowingly about a man he came up against numerous times down through the years.

“I think it’s terrific,” Ferguson said. “I admired Trapattoni because in his seventies, he takes on a job when he can’t speak English.

“It didn’t work out for him and the results tell you that. The enthusiasm and the desire to still do the job in his seventies takes a lot of admiration.

“The appointment of Martin is a different thing. We’re talking about a guy who has had fantastic success as a manager. A European final with Celtic, three league titles in a row.

“So he brings that fantastic experience. And also personality. He has got a good personality.”

The infamous fallout between Ferguson and Keane ended with the United captain being booted out of the club after criticising his team-mates in an MUTV interview which never aired back in 2005.

Ferguson retold the story from his book about Keane being unhappy with a Portuguese training camp that was organised by the assistant Carlos Queiroz and pinpointed it as the beginning of the end.

"It was only in the last year (that things went wrong),” Ferguson explained. “For ten years he was a fantastic captain and player. Unbelievable player. You talk about all the greatest Manchester United players, Roy is in there."

“The thing that changed was when we went to Portugal. Carlos Queiroz had set us up with a training camp. It was really terrific. Roy was just not having it. We tried it with a few houses but he didn’t like them.

“I don’t think he appreciated Carlos and there was something there. I challenged him on it and said ‘look, this is ridiculous. You’ve got to be one of the boys’. That was the starting point that summer.

“Then he criticised the team and there was no way back from that. My job as Manchester United manager for 26 years was to create a stability and I was expected to make tough decisions. That was the toughest.

“It was a tough, tough call. I had to let players know that you can’t go criticising your team-mates the way he was doing. There was no other way.

“When he went to Sunderland, I was sat in the office with Carlos and one of the staff said that Roy Keane was here to see me. I didn’t expect it but he came in and apologised.

“When he was at Sunderland there was no one who helped Roy more than Alex Ferguson. I gave him three players on loan – (Danny) Simpson, (Johnny) Evans and (Phil) Bardsley.

“I did my best to help him to get a start. The tough decision had to be made and it was the correct thing to do.”

O’Neill is set to officially start his new role after a press conference on Saturday afternoon while Roy Keane will attend games in England over the weekend and join up for training on Monday.

And Ferguson insists that, whatever happens, he will improve as a manager because of it.

"I think it is terrific about Roy. He had some bad experiences as a manager but he is young. He went straight from playing with us, to Celtic, to manager. It’s hard that."

“Now he has got the experience of Martin O’Neill which he can lean on and learn by. And if he does come back into club football, he has got that advantage now. That is better preparation for him.”

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    That's fine, but it would be great if were spared all the hard man bull and the "what it means to be irish" nonsense at the same time from the duo. Crikey just do the job
    That speech was a few years ago. Martin's not been dwelling on it since the appointment though, has he? Maybe wearing a poppy on ITV was one of those seeming "contradictions" that have been part of being Irish for him.

16. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    Thats a crock of pseudo uber-irish, judgemental nonsense.
    Maybe Mon just doesn't want to deal with the poppy fascist mentality in England, possibly he thinks that there are loud ignorant elements of the English media and football supporters, who are just too thick to expect that they would respect a decision not to wear the poppy.
    Not unlike the reactionaries who jump to conclusions about the sense of Irishness of Irish people in England who choose to wear the poppy.

18. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    What was Delaney like on the Late Late?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    MO'N also got plenty of stick during his time in Glasgow, even though he came from an, er, British colony.
    Ok, it was more than 10 years ago, but still.
    http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/...arden-1.159537

21. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Thats a crock of pseudo uber-irish, judgemental nonsense.
    Maybe Mon just doesn't want to deal with the poppy fascist mentality in England, possibly he thinks that there are loud ignorant elements of the English media and football supporters, who are just too thick to expect that they would respect a decision not to wear the poppy.
    Are you saying Martin wants the easy life, and coward away from controversy cos he isn't really a hard man
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    What was Delaney like on the Late Late?
    Not bad, spoke well. Brian Kerr had said Martin O'Neill was approached before the Sweden game, but Delaney refuted that. Gave away tickets to the Latvia game to the audience. Should be on RTE player

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts

26. Thanks From:

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Most of it over by now but press conference here
    http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/live/7/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Good for the media, says the Telegraph:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...on-failed.html
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Keane at Villa-Cardiff game today. Presumably looking at Clark and/or getting Shay back on board.
    'And Crouch must score'

Page 9 of 128 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast