Page 99 of 128 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109 ... LastLast
Results 1,961 to 1,980 of 2541

Thread: Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    I don't really agree. I think it's possible for O'Neill to be just as 'on the ball' as he has been (and the extent of how on the ball he has been is open to debate, but for a different thread really).

I also don't think that his interest in the Stoke job necessarily means he doesn't want to be in this one.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    If someone doesnt want to be in a job and are actively looking around for s new job, that person tends to have their eye off the ball
    Was he though? Was he actively looking around? I'm suspicious also but do you know what would be lovely? If Martin stopped playing silly beggars with the media (Friday at the awards, Tony O'Donoghue whenever possible) and clarified exactly what took place over the past week.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Nope, the one that qualified for the Euros winning nine games in a row, beating Russia, Montenegro and Sweden (4-1) away from home. Does that sound like a typical (or even successful) Irish qualification campaign?
    After that promising qualification campaign for Euro 2016 they backslid with gusto. They performed very poorly at the Euro Finals and by the time we met them they were already 4th pot material, an overall standard which they didn't rise above in our group. We had a tougher Euro 2016 qual group than they had and we had performed better than them at the Euros.

4. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    If someone doesnt want to be in a job and are actively looking around for s new job, that person tends to have their eye off the ball
    Particularly not what you want in a Football job .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    what evidence is there that mo'n went looking for the stoke, or any other, job?

what evidence is there that he doesnt want to be in the irish job?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    what evidence is there that mo'n went looking for the stoke, or any other, job?

what evidence is there that he doesnt want to be in the irish job?
    My understanding is he went and met with the stoke board snd was offered the job, hence evidence of interest. I also understand he was talking to Everton. That doesn't sound like someone happy in their job

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    If the FAI were happy to agree to extend his contract pre the Moldova game, then why approximately 3 months later is nothing signed. I don’t buy this on their word bull****.

Another fine mess oversaw by our great leader JD.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    My understanding is he went and met with the stoke board snd was offered the job, hence evidence of interest. I also understand he was talking to Everton. That doesn't sound like someone happy in their job
    any proof of that?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    [QUOTE=tetsujin1979;1949289]any proof of that?[/QUOTE

Well, its either in that ball park, or this whole week has been a massive misunderstanding and Martin O'Neill is owed huge apology.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Nope, the one that qualified for the Euros winning nine games in a row, beating Russia, Montenegro and Sweden (4-1) away from home. Does that sound like a typical (or even successful) Irish qualification campaign?
    They were knocked out of the Euros in the group stage in 2016. In 2008 they qualified as host (their first ever Euros) but also went home in the group stage.

That's all they've done in terms of World Cup or European championship tournaments this century.

Don't think we need to be particularly jealous of their recent achievements, to be honest.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    but do you know what would be lovely? If Martin stopped playing silly beggars with the media (Friday at the awards, Tony O'Donoghue whenever possible) and clarified exactly what took place over the past week.
    the media are not the story. who gives a hoot about the managers relationship with the media. too much importance put on how the media feel in relation to our manager. too full of their own self importance if you ask me

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    the media are not the story. who gives a hoot about the managers relationship with the media. too much importance put on how the media feel in relation to our manager. too full of their own self importance if you ask me
    My point is he could clarify through the media.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    The same media who've been using their platform to decry his behaviour for the last two weeks or so?
    "Yeah, sorry I said that about you, now can i get a quote on the Stoke job?"

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    After that promising qualification campaign for Euro 2016 they backslid with gusto. They performed very poorly at the Euro Finals and by the time we met them they were already 4th pot material, an overall standard which they didn't rise above in our group. We had a tougher Euro 2016 qual group than they had and we had performed better than them at the Euros.
    That doesn't contradict what I said really. They were seeded ahead of us on merit on the back of an outstanding run of results. Their form dipped but they still had the same players, who are superior players overall to what we have, boosted by a couple of stars. As for their performance at the Euros, it was sluggish for sure but they were unlucky in the final group game against Iceland I thought (no doubt you'll dispute this!). Portugal went from strength to strength and won the competition after limping out of the same group without a victory to their name, maybe Austria could have found some form as well.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 15/01/2018 at 10:44 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brine3 View Post
    They were knocked out of the Euros in the group stage in 2016. In 2008 they qualified as host (their first ever Euros) but also went home in the group stage. That's all they've done in terms of World Cup or European championship tournaments this century.
    How is 2008 relevant exactly? (A tournament we didn't come close to qualifying for, losing 5-2 to Cyprus amongst other catastrophes).

Don't think we need to be particularly jealous of their recent achievements, to be honest.
    They took 28 points out of 30 in their qualification group. You don't have to be jealous to appreciate it was a fine achievement and something we're basically incapable of.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 15/01/2018 at 9:18 AM.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    The same media who've been using their platform to decry his behaviour for the last two weeks or so?
    "Yeah, sorry I said that about you, now can i get a quote on the Stoke job?"
    Okay so. Don't do it through the media. Try doing it outside of the media. A statement. Anything. I'm not looking to provide the media with quotes and soundbites. I'm saying it's a means to put out his message.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Last edited by DeLorean; 15/01/2018 at 11:35 AM.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,213 Posts
    Would be underwhelmed by that if I was a Stoke fan

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean
    How is 2008 relevant exactly?
    It's relevant to compare finals tournament success. That's ultimately the end goal of international football.

Austria haven't made it past the initial group phase of a finals tournament since 1982.

Over on footie.at, they are probably jealous of our achievements, to be honest.
    Last edited by brine3; 15/01/2018 at 12:38 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brine3 View Post
    It's relevant to compare finals tournament success.
    Maybe if we were comparing the pedigree of both nations in an overall sense, but we weren't.