Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 89 of 128 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast
Results 1,761 to 1,780 of 2541

Thread: Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    15/17 here. One that I'd just never have gotten and one that I had to kick myself for not getting.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    14/17

Forgot one played under Martin. Forgot one existed. And didn't dare guess the other despite my gut.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Irish kitman Dick Redmond on Martin O'Neill: http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/socc...artin-10439878

Quote Originally Posted by Cormac Byrne
    Speaking about O'Neill's influence on the Ireland team, Redmond added: “When the boss talks, it goes really quiet.

"They walk out, and they’re a little bit taller. His team talks are just incredible. Fellas just want to go out there and die for the shirt.”

4. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Came across that last night. Managed 15/17. I missed one that crossed my mind but I didn't bother typing his name in as I didn't think he'd scored. Probably wouldn't have got the other one. I won't mention names as it'd spoil it for others.
    quiz has a slight bug in it. for one player you have to misspell his surname but the results show it spelt correctly.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    "They walk out, and they’re a little bit taller."

No harm in our case.

7. Thanks From:

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    "They walk out, and they’re a little bit taller."
    Let's not talk about "walk outs" in this thread
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Dan McDonnell reports that Limerick were willing to make Keane the best paid manager in the League of Ireland by offering him €250,000 per year: http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-35732042.html

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McDonnell
    Keane did attend Limerick's Premier Division match with Drogheda United on April 15 but the approach ultimately came to nothing. The 45-year-old has made it clear that he wants to return to management at some stage, but he is happy in his current post and combining the two roles would have been difficult if he had decided to accept Limerick's lucrative offer.

He is paid in the region of €500,000 per annum by the FAI and is viewed as a possible successor to Martin O'Neill.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Denied in the Limerick Leader: http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/ho...medium=twitter
    "There have been absolutely no discussions with Roy Keane. The story is absolute, total rubbish. He just happened to be at a match and people speculated. We have appointed our manager."
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Would be more inclined to believe the report in the Leader. POS is a wealthy enough man, but don't really believe he would be in a position to drop a quarter of a million a year on a manager.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Great interview with Martin O'Neill on Off The Ball last week: https://cdn.radiocms.net/media/001/a...audio_file.mp3
    It's about an hour long, and the volume jumps in a few places, but was a great way to pass the time driving back to Dublin yesterday
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    Usually agree with you Mark but what, he won the SPL a few times, wow
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    Wasn't really thinking of his exploits in the SPL. More of beating teams like Juventus and Barcelona in Europe. And he took Celtic to extra time in the UEFA Cup Final in Seville, in a five goal thriller.
    His exploits in the SPL are not to be sniffed at either - Celtic finished 21 points behind Rangers the season before he arrived and 15 points ahead of them in O'Neill's first season, when they also won only their third ever treble (the other two were the Lisbon Lions side and Brendan Rodgers is the first manager to do it since). Celtic had only won one league title in twelve years and four trophies in total since the 80's. O'Neill won seven trophies in five years, oversaw records of 25 league wins in a row and seven Old Firm wins in a row.

And obviously the European campaigns were even more impressive, Celtic hadn't played a game in Europe after Christmas in well over twenty years before O'Neill came in!
    Last edited by DeLorean; 16/06/2017 at 9:36 AM.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    'Honorary degree for Ireland boss Martin O'Neill': http://www.derryjournal.com/news/hon...eill-1-8039438

Quote Originally Posted by Derry Journal

Ireland boss Martin O'Neill has today been honoured by Ulster University.

The international team manager received the honorary degree of Doctor of Science (DSc) for his contribution to Irish football.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    That hat looks like a sat upon, broad black brimmer.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Just seeing confirmation that the contracts of O'Neill and Keane will be renewed at the end of this campaign, even if we fail to qualify for Russia, as is likely: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/i...deal-z9vzfdzjn

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Doyle
    The FAI are prepared to offer Martin O’Neill and his assistant Roy Keane a new two-year contract, irrespective of the faltering nature of Ireland’s World Cup campaign.

O’Neill’s deal expires at the end of this qualification campaign, which could potentially be as soon as next month, following Ireland’s game against Wales on October 9.

Yet even if Ireland do finish outside the play off places, a senior FAI source made it plainly clear yesterday that the ten-man board consider the O’Neill-Keane partnership to be a ticket to success.
    A "ticket to success"? I'd love to be able to say that description was premature (at worst), but that's far from the worst criticism you could level at it. It's just so ill-suited right now, mere days after Serbia have made it all but impossible for us to qualify for Russia, and inapplicable in light of the performances that were served up over the past four games to leave us in the sorry situation we're in; that being having to wait another month just to have it confirmed to us that we can finally stop wasting our thoughts on Russia.

If we make it to the World Cup, it'll have been a ticket to success, but the chances of that are remote. It'd be a miracle. Otherwise, this campaign has been a miserable failure - we've been awful, stale, overly-cautious and, as SvD pointed out in the Serbia match-thread, far too reactive - and we didn't even have a team the calibre of Spain, Germany, Italy or France to contend with in our group. This group was there for the taking. With some better decision-making and a more proactive strategy, rather than the erratic on-the-backfoot approach, we could easily have been top of this group by two points now going into the final two games instead of teetering on the brink, more or less needing to beat Wales in Wales and desperately begging the football gods for highly unlikely results in other groups to work in our favour, just for a chance of having a stab at the play-offs (unseeded, I might add).

I can't really understand why the FAI are already guaranteeing a contract renewal (assuming what the alleged source is reported to have said is true). It appears, from the preview I can see of the paywall-protected piece on the Times' website, that O'Neill's record this campaign is being defended because we've had injuries... Coleman has been a big loss without doubt, but, otherwise, it's not as if we've suffered uniquely in some way from some sort of injury epidemic. The odd injury here and there is something that all football managers have to commonly deal with.

If the present contract was simply allowed to run out after this campaign, we could have just freshened things up then. No sacking needed that way either (technically).

21. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Just seeing confirmation that the contracts of O'Neill and Keane will be renewed at the end of this campaign, even is we fail to qualify for Russia, as is likely: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/i...deal-z9vzfdzjn

A "ticket to success"? Isn't that a bit ridiculous and premature. If we make it to the World Cup, it'll have been a ticket to success, but the chances of that are pretty remote now. Otherwise, this campaign has been a miserable failure - we've been awful, stale, overly-cautious and not proactive enough - and we didn't even have a team the calibre of Spain, Germany, Italy or France to contend with in our group.

I can't really understand why the FAI are already guaranteeing a renewal (assuming what the alleged source is reported to have said is true). It appears, from the preview I can see of the paywall-protected piece on the Times' website, that O'Neill's record this campaign is being defended because we've had injuries... Coleman has been a big loss without doubt, but, otherwise, it's not as if we've suffered uniquely in some way from some sort of injury epidemic.

If the contract was simply allowed to run out after this campaign, we could have freshened things up then. No sacking needed that way either (technically).
    If O'Neill does get his contract renewed, it is not certain that he will sign it if we fail miserably over the next two games.
    There is also the hope that he will return to his senses and not make hair brained decisions like playing Glenn Whelan in midfield, when the whole world is telling him not to, and omitting Wes Hoolahan when the whole world can see we are a vastly better team with him playing.

One would hope he would come to his senses, but then the question must be asked why he ever thought that way in the first place?
    I was a big fan of Martin O'Neill during his tenure at Celtic and Leicester and frequently lauded him as the best manager in these islands. But some of the decisions he has made since early June, have been mind boggling.
    Ireland suffer from the problem which besets all smaller countries - that being there is no room for error with team selection. We simply don't have the resources to leave impact players out of the team, yet we do it far too often.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    While I appreciate I am probably out of line with most on here, we are still in with some chance of qualifying, be it small. I agree that O'Neill is often too defensively minded and his team choices are not what most of us agree with. On the glass half full side of things, Alex Ferguson nearly got sacked in 1990 and as they say the rest is history. Hopefully, MONROY's supposed reappointment will prove equally fruitful.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    While I appreciate I am probably out of line with most on here, we are still in with some chance of qualifying, be it small.
    Don't believe its as small as people are saying. Well capable of beating Wales and Moldova. Do that and I believe we will be in the play offs.

25. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Haven't seen any other reports on it, other than the usual clickbait regurgitations of the original article

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    It was suggested somewhere that this was leaked to one or two well-placed journo's to float online to see the reaction, before entering discussions.

At this juncture, it would be madness to offer them a new 2 year contract. Absolute madness.

Jbyrne, we've agreed on plenty in the past; however, I can't agree with this: "Well capable of beating Wales and Moldova". If anything this campaign has proven we're incapable of beating most teams.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

28. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    It was suggested somewhere that this was leaked to one or two well-placed journo's to float online to see the reaction, before entering discussions.

At this juncture, it would be madness to offer them a new 2 year contract. Absolute madness.

Jbyrne, we've agreed on plenty in the past; however, I can't agree with this: "Well capable of beating Wales and Moldova". If anything this campaign has proven we're incapable of beating most teams.
    Hopefully we beat Moldova but it will take one hell of a performance to beat Wales in Wales.......

Bale is miles ahead of anything we have and Ramsey on form is also ahead of what we have got .

How many of our players would get in the Wales Team......

Page 89 of 128 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast