Page 77 of 128 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987127 ... LastLast
Results 1,521 to 1,540 of 2541

Thread: Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I don't agree we've regressed tactically. He's made necessary changes Trap was unprepared to make.
    I'll be clearer. I didn't appreciate the type of football Trap envisioned us playing. However he had a tactic that is best described as long-ball catenaccio.

Martin O'Neill did make changes. He has not made us tighter in defence. He has not made us better going forward. We're stuck in a limbo. We've had arguably 45 mins performance of note under O'Neill, and I think it's as much to do with Poland dropping their tempo as it was renaissance from us.

What I will grant him, is that the key players who were vital to Trap implementing his philosophy are either retired, injured or on the downward spiral under O'Neill (Dunne, Keane, McGeady, Andrews, Ledger).
    We've no left-back, we've not got a settled formation, and we don't know what to do with the options we have available to us.

That is how I conclude we've regressed tactically. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    I'll be clearer. I didn't appreciate the type of football Trap envisioned us playing. However he had a tactic that is best described as long-ball catenaccio.

Martin O'Neill did make changes. He has not made us tighter in defence. He has not made us better going forward. We're stuck in a limbo. We've had arguably 45 mins performance of note under O'Neill, and I think it's as much to do with Poland dropping their tempo as it was renaissance from us.

What I will grant him, is that the key players who were vital to Trap implementing his philosophy are either retired, injured or on the downward spiral under O'Neill (Dunne, Keane, McGeady, Andrews, Ledger).
    We've no left-back, we've not got a settled formation, and we don't know what to do with the options we have available to us.

That is how I conclude we've regressed tactically. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

I would be of a very similar opinion

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/socc...-job-1.2280431
    My Country is My Club.

Republic of Ireland Forever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um_ZvP2cUdo

3. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    Interesting. Sounds like the deal is inching closer. Would the FAI be due any compensation from Leicester? I can't see Keane taking over as interim manager and being happy on his assistant's salary, so I'd imagine the savings that article suggests would be pretty slim.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Are you kidding? The FAI should compensate them.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

6. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    You're on form today, Crosby!
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    And let me ask you this....why were the idiot mayor and governor on the lead floats as part of this parade? I mean the WWC had nothing to do with them. It shouldn't have even been here, it should have been on the west coast. Are your politicians as stupid as ours. Thank goodness the idiot in the white house didn't come. I had some skittles ready though just in case. Judging by my bathroom floor I have poor aim these days tho.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    And let me ask you this....why were the idiot mayor and governor on the lead floats as part of this parade? I mean the WWC had nothing to do with them. It shouldn't have even been here, it should have been on the west coast. Are your politicians as stupid as ours. Thank goodness the idiot in the white house didn't come. I had some skittles ready though just in case. Judging by my bathroom floor I have poor aim these days tho.
    i have no idea what this post is about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    If he leaves, it'll be the most disappointing managerial tenure of my time supporting Ireland. Kerr ended with a whimper, Staunton was farcicial but this - much lauded manager takes over and limps through half (HALF) a campaign before bailing out for Leicester - is just stunningly galling.

Hell, even if he stays it might still be the most disappointing tenure but if he can't even see out a campaign then he should be driven out asap. Waste of time.

I don't think we've regressed particularly, but I won't miss him. He didn't have the stomach for transition. I'm not convinced O'Neill really has the stomach for anything anymore.

Keane for the rest of the campaign and then what? The only thing I'd add is Gordon Strachan, Michael O'Neill and Chris Coleman don't have the hugest pedigrees (Strachan possibly excepted) which just goes to show attitude, application and motivation would go a lot further than any old big name.

Good riddence Martin. Such a let down.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanVsDalton View Post
    Keane for the rest of the campaign and then what?
    And then we lose him to Manchester United after we win the Euros.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    An Irish diplomat told me a few weeks ago that Kilbane will be the next manager. No kidding. You know where he told me that? At the dentists office across from the United Nations...which is strange on multiple levels. Does Killer even have his coaching badges Danny?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Killer has some coaching badges definitely. He says in his book he was doing coaching badges in Belfast

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanVsDalton View Post

Would it be wrong of me to say I was disappointed when I read that article?
    My Country is My Club.

Republic of Ireland Forever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um_ZvP2cUdo

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Calling him a muppet is completely uncalled for.
    Calling Mick McCarthy a muppet? Its not the first time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Stu did you see the Jean Claude Van Damme thing with the mentos commercial? It's hilarious.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    I really and truly do not understand a single bit of the above. I'm trying to read between the lines.

You are saying that is marginal if European football has bypassed MON's philosophy.

Why would we be comparing the elite club and elite national teams with ROI?
    You could argue that generally you could combine pots 2,3 & 4 and there is not a great deal of difference from 90% of those teams. Our peers. But if we're talking about our peers, then you need to look at how much money Scotland pay Strachan, Poland pay Workowski, Czech's pay Vrba, Turkey pay Terim, Ukraine pay Formenko and so on and so forth, and it's then that you conclude if MON is a brilliant appointment for the money we're paying, and it just cannot be claimed that it is.
    Conditions change regularily in football, and as is alluded elsewhere, some benefit, some lose out.

You say:

I say we've continued to hire the same style of manager in an effort to get the best out of a mediocre at best bunch of players. Change is long overdue

Martin O'Neill, for a footballing country like Ireland, with our economic state, earns a disgusting amount of money for the job he performs. No different to our CEO. The money paid to hire the present management team is ridiculous, and totally unnecessary.
    I think you and I agree on most aspects of the MON situation but are talking apples and oranges on occasion. Agree one hundred per cent, the CEO does earn a disgusting amount of money - it has to stop right now (I'll bet it won't though). O'Neill is arguably overpaid as are all managers and players in the modern day, but that is relative. The FAI had to outlay that amount of money in the first place to attract him and then Keane, so in those terms they (the FAI) were always going to pay over the odds. My point is that I would prefer to see an amount of money set aside for hiring foreign coaches who can teach our kids how to play the game properly and then worry about spending money on a national team coach. It has to start somewhere and if we have to go with a less glamourous name then so be it. Under the circumstances however I still believe Martin O'Neill was the right appointment at the time. History has shown that he did not get the results in the business he's in, which is a results driven business. And in that regard you are 100 per cent correct. O'Neill hasn't done the job he's been paid to do. If you want to apportion blame you can lay some at Martin's door for the choices he's made along the way, but by and large the problems lie with the players. Our players have shown for several years now that they do not have what it takes. We need to stop (or should I say the FAI needs to stop) ignoring the grass roots game in Ireland and maybe then things will change.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Indo now saying Leicester will make move for MON over the weekend

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    I think the FAI, will breathe a sigh of relief when this happens, think they realised they had made a mistake months ago.

Hes a spent force, a cheque book manager, who after all this time in charge still doesn't know his best eleven.
    Added to the fact his ludicrous 30-40 man squads, and having more back-room staff than fans that sit in the singing section.

Best all round if he went, I fully expect Mick to be given the job.

And on an even brighter note.....http://m.mlssoccer.com/news/article/...s-not-done-yet

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Sean you really have it in for MON! Even McCarthy getting the gig is no guarantee you will get called up again. Sure didn't he send you away from Ipswich when he had the chance to sign you?

I had wanted to give him the full campaign before making assessment on his tenure. I think he deserved a second campaign as well before making a decision on his future.

If he does go then it's more upheaval. Keane will no doubt have to bring all his own guys in again when the rest of his back room staff go to Leicester.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    So if Martin goes who's the new manager? Keane I would guess temporarily. I personally won't be surprised if 'Arry or Big Sam get into the mix after that. Doubt the FAI would go back to McCarthy for a second spell.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo