Page 69 of 128 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179119 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,380 of 2544

Thread: Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Other similar sized countries manage alright without having to pay a fortune to lure a manager, it's not the lack of lure that the irish job offers, that forces the FAI to pay out a fortune for a managerial team and one that just happens to manage average grade results.
    If you're not bothered by the issue, then fine.
    Just to be clear, when I said it's not something that bothers me too much, I didn't mean it in an apathetic way. I just meant that, for me, it would be one of the lesser issues of how the association run the game here. I'd say fair play to them for managing to get Trap first, and then Martin O'Neill. Lower profile managers can be successful, of course, but I think they are giving us the best chance of success by going down the proven manager route, sadly it guarantees nothings.

What is the relevance between a club football managers' salary in the domestic league which is under the control of the FAI and the FAI's representative team's management´salary?
    I supposed that the mere example of the glaring inequality of the Intl manager earning 30 times what a manager does in the LOI, says something about the state of Irish football. That's my opinion about what I perceive to be a glaring dysfunction in Irish football, but that's another debate.
    Excuse my ignorance, but aren't the LOI managers paid by their clubs? They're never likely to justify a big wage when most of the clubs struggle to get 3,000 at their games. I suppose it is dysfunctional but I'm not sure an FAI with the best will in the world would manage to close that gap, without the national team being the one that suffers. It is another debate though and, to be honest, I wouldn't be well up enough to contribute much to it.

This current discussion is about Roy and Cas seeing him without any clothes and although Cas has always seen Roy like this, he does have a point. Eg. Roy as a pundit was banal yet he was lauded as being 'left field' etc.
    Well I suppose it's only a matter of opinion whether Keane was a decent pundit or not. Personally I would agree with you that he didn't add to much in terms of analysing a match, but there aren't too many around that do. He probably jumped ahead of the majority by just saying what he thought, instead of trying to be politically correct and, to be fair, I don't think I heard anybody give him credit for anything more than that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I agree with geysir in making the LOI manager comparison/connection, even if seemingly indirect. If the FAI were pumping the money into more sustainable models of progress that would aid long-term domestic development, I would happily put up with lower profile names in the managerial and assistant positions for a few years. Unfortunately, the future is rather bleak because the FAI don't appear to have the nous or foresight to look very far down the line. Competing associations are moving on and we have fewer and fewer players playing at the top level of English football by the season. Formerly, we relied on English academies to produce our talent but we can't piggyback any longer (due to the way the worldwide footballing market has changed and the EPL becoming a truly global behemoth), so we should be concentrating on ensuring a steady stream of talent internally that will have a greater chance of engineering better performances and long-term success. That in turn would generate greater public interest and increased revenue that could be pumped back into the self-sustaining model, thereby ensuring a follow-up generation of talent. It would be a more sustainable, stable and beneficial way of doing it rather than the short-termist throwing of everything at high-profile senior team managers and assistants. What happens when said managers and their assistants inevitably fail to deliver because they don't have the players coming through? Of course, the above would require a complete revamp of the game's structures in Ireland which is easier written about than done. I also acknowledge O'Brien's contributions, but I think it is generally accepted that the FAI devotes a disproportionate level of focus and investment to projects from which only the senior men's team will benefit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    I agree with geysir in making the LOI manager comparison/connection, even if seemingly indirect. If the FAI were pumping the money into more sustainable models of progress that would aid long-term domestic development, I would happily put up with lower profile names in the managerial and assistant positions for a few years.
    O'Neill is supposed to be on €1.2m pa and Keane €700k. Apparently O'Brien is paying roughly half? That leaves the FAI paying €950k pa for the two. What would be a reasonable wage for the manager and his assistant do ye feel? Just say they were paid half of these figures with the same arrangement in place with O'Brien, ignoring the likeliness of MON and Keane saying "thanks, but no thanks". That would free up 475k to put into the LOI.... is that a significant sum or peanuts?
    Last edited by DeLorean; 04/12/2014 at 11:11 AM.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    O'Neill is supposed to be on €1.2m pa and Keane €700k. Apparently O'Brien is paying roughly half? That leaves the FAI paying €950k pa for the two. What would be a reasonable wage for the manager and his assistant do ye feel? Just say they were paid half of these figures with the same arrangement in place with O'Brien. That would free up 475k to put into the LOI.... is that a significant sum or peanuts?
    Very significant, I would think. It would be nearly five times the league-winning prize-money.

I'd be interested in seeing a list of salaries of managers and their assistants across UEFA, just by way of comparison. I'm not sure what a reasonable precise figure would be; I just don't think getting a big name in should be the priority because it's not a sustainable method of investment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Yeah but I think it's generally accepted that the prize money for the league champions is peanuts, relatively speaking, and that's given to just one club. Obviously the 475k would have to be spread to benefit the entire league, or used for some worthwhile project. I don't have a huge opinion on this, just a general wondering. I'm sure I'd agree with ye entirely if I thought paying our management team less would be of huge benefit to the LOI, I'm just highly doubtful that it would. I understand that the whole structure needs a revamp though, an issue far greater than the price of securing MONKEANO.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,747 Posts
    I don't think their pay is that big an issue. I think the success of the senior national team is what has the potential to finance the FAI's spending on the game. This bigger issue is that this appears to be the only strategy and it's very much an eggs in one basket gamble which highlights the lack of a joined up plan for a sustainable development of the game.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I think the success of the senior national team is what has the potential to finance the FAI's spending on the game. This bigger issue is that this appears to be the only strategy and it's very much an eggs in one basket gamble which highlights the lack of a joined up plan for a sustainable development of the game.
    That's what I was getting at. Couldn't have said it better. I think the salaries are indicative of that one-dimensional focus.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    380 Posts
    Just for comparison purposes, Sweden's coach is on around €250,000, Norway's €450,000 and Denmark's about €650,000. Not exact figures but near enough.

11. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Aye, and living costs are far higher there, well definitely the first two.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,010 Posts
    I don't think the comparisons with LOI managers are all that relevant.

I'd be more interested to know what other, similarly ranked teams pay their managers and what the duties are with and beyond the senior team, and what the goals and benchmarks are.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Fabio Capello hasn't been paid in over 5 months (at least in November that was the case). Reports of his salary have been (in sterling) from 6-8million, the real amount is probably just below 6.5million dollars.

Bilic was paid 1million euros a year, but made the same back in "tips".

What is important to differentiate between our pair and many other countries is what coaches make on the back end. Caps are valuable, they can raise the value and profile of a player, and his marketability. Add in "friendlies" and other bits and bobs, a base salary isn't the only thing to make a job attractive. If our pair are just getting paid straight, I'd be happy with that.

15. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Anyway, their wages are almost immaterial, if you look at what Trap was getting. Not to mention a certain Chief Executive...

Plus DL makes a fair point about LOI managers liable to be on peanuts by comparison!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    73 Posts
    If you pay peanuts you don't get MONKEAs

18. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Lolz.

Reserves
    Punta Arenas, Puerto Montt & everywhere in between
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Some salaries of managers at the 2014 WC. Telegraph

Croatia
    Niko Kovac
    Salary: €205.000

Australia
    Ange Postecoglou
    Salary: €1.000.000

Holland
    Louis van Gaal
    Salary: €2.000.000

Greece
    Fernando Santos
    Salary: €650.000

France
    Didier Deschamps
    Salary: €1.635.000

Switzerland
    Ottmar Hitzfeld
    Salary: €2.834.000

Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Safet Susic
    Salary: €267.000

Portugal
    Paulo Bento
    Salary: €1.287.000

USA
    Jurgen Klinsmann
    Salary: €1.982.000

Belgium
    Marc Wilmots
    Salary: €654.000
    "U've figured how to work the Google on the internet machine"

21. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Thanks WexCar, interesting reading. The win bonuses will bump up most of those salaries, but for some (Croatia and Bosnia for example), they earn tips that make it worth their while coaching. Bilic (when he signed with Loko) complained that he was not allowed to install "his" agent in the club, as it was already taken by the son-in-law of the President.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    414 Posts
    Roy writes a lad a note for school at book signing.
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/left...-30815450.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Roy's softened up since being in charge of Damien Delaney at Ipswich.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    http://thescore.thejournal.ie/roy-ke...32587-Dec2014/

Keane leaves Villa after ****ing off the "big" names.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,376 Posts
    the comments on the article say it all, it's a reprint from the Daily Mail, there's no player named as the source of the statements, and Villa have repeatedly refuted any claim that there was a bust up between Keane and the players
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook