Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 44 of 128 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494 ... LastLast

Thread: Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    WC02: two decent (although the German appraisal has become a bit revisionist - Germany wasted a hatful of chances), one good and one really ballsy performance (Spain). We actually scored a few goals for a change.
    Come on now, we had a few chances ourselves. Kahn was on fire that day.
    I remember Kinsella having a great game that day
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

2. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Agreed jb!!

Were you impressed by the Irish performance at the same venue a few days later? Probably the most like for like?

In hindsight though, I'd almost have preferred if Monkeano had used a smaller group of players in early summer and used the 3 weeks to get ideas across. Although the tour probably ruled several players out of serious contention, a bit of foresight and conviction might have done this anyway.

Still, Oman, Georgia (not a gimme, I accept) and Gibraltar are still to be played before the first crunch games. By then we should be much further down the road.
    We played quite well, but look at that Italian score in the context of the WC, ultimately they were v.underwhelming and my Italian pal will talk for hours about how much he despised Prandelli...
    Scotland are no world-beaters for sure but their team has momentum and they are getting results. In general we aren't.
    Last edited by ArdeeBhoy; 11/07/2014 at 12:16 PM.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Maybe I have to spell it out more clearly
    In 2008 Euro qualifiers there were 7 groups, we finished a clear 3rd. That makes 21 teams, 2 hosts, and there would have been one play off (as there was in 1996) to find the last team. In a 24 team Euros in 2008, we would have qualified with Stan at the helm.
    Nowadays, what Stan dismally managed to achieve has become a difficult big target.
    One slight problem;there weren't 24 qualifiers in Euro'08...

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Agreed jb!!

We played quite well, but look at that Italian score in the context of the WC, ultimately they were v.underwhelming and my Italian pal will talk for hours about how much he despised Prandelli...
    Scotland are no world-beaters for sure but their team has momentum and they are getting results. In general we aren't.
    Scotland drew 2-2 with a Nigeria team that were being paid to lose

6. Thanks From:

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Looks like USA are coming to Lansdowne road on November 18th

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Come on now, we had a few chances ourselves. Kahn was on fire that day.
    I remember Kinsella having a great game that day
    I thought we were good in the first half especially after they scored.

When we played Germany at home under Trap I was in Slattery's early and they were showing the Ibaraki game in full. The second half was peppered with incidents of Germany ballsing up presentable chances. One in particular where a Shay and Breen hesitated between them to allow Jacker a great chance which he fluffed. Another ( or was it the same chance?) was when Jacker had a simple chance to lob Shay who was in no man's land but fluffed it. Germany could have won that game 3-0 even though we played well for long periods, especially in immediate response to Klose's goal.

It wasn't how I remembered the game but seeing it again on telly without the emotion and tension changed my view of it. Our first chance in the second half was about two minutes before we scored, Kahn making a good block from Keane, at close range.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    we well well deserved that draw against germany in 02. i turned to the person beside me in the stand 2 mins before we scored and we both agreed if there was any justice we would get the equaliser.

here are the basic stats for what its worth:

Corners (1st half)
    G 0
    I 1
    Corners (2nd half)
    G 2
    I 1
    Fouls committed
    G 18
    I 21
    Shots on target
    G 6
    I 5
    Shots Off Target
    G 7
    I 6
    Caught Offside
    G 5
    I 4
    Last edited by jbyrne; 11/07/2014 at 3:27 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    The second half was peppered with incidents of Germany ballsing up presentable chances. One in particular where a Shay and Breen hesitated between them to allow Jacker a great chance which he fluffed. Another ( or was it the same chance?) was when Jacker had a simple chance to lob Shay who was in no man's land but fluffed it.
    I think it was the same chance. Jancker was useless in that tournament.

i remember Matt Holland almost scoring a carbon copy of his Cameroon goal in the first half
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    Jb, if there was a stat for near calamitous defensive ****-ups too, we'd have probably out scored Germany by at least one, maybe two!

I'm just saying that on at least one occasion (fixer, wasn't there one where they messed up a simple three on two?) they could have put the game to bed despite how well we responded to their goal. Goals change games as we all know. Had David Silva taken a routine chance against Holland there'd have been no 5-1 thrashing. Similarly, had England been fairly awarded a stonewall penalty when Moran fouled Waddle in Cagliari our WC90 adventure would have been over before it started.

I'm only trying to make the point that at times we have stunk the place out just as much, if not more, than we have actually done anything of note at finals, even though on balance we have done quite well at tournaments. I think across all four games our WC02 performance was the best of our three WCs, including the game in Ibaraki.

Why do I want to make that point? Because there are some here going way OTT about how bad we were in Euro 2012 - or more importantly, what it means - and how we'd do in another finals if we got there. I think it's unrealistic to expect a small country like us to ever do well unless we also get a sizeable rub of the green on top of playing well. Even without playing well, rub of the green can go a long way as it did in 1990.

None of this is to say that we should just hope for the best. Without proper structures in place in all aspects of our game we are simply preparing to fail, as others have put it. At the very least we should be aiming to be competitive. Let the luck follow.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 11/07/2014 at 4:12 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    I'm just saying that on at least one occasion (fixer, wasn't there one where they messed up a simple three on two?) they could have put the game to bed despite how well we responded to their goal. Goals change games as we all know. Had David Silva taken a routine chance against Holland there'd have been no 5-1 thrashing. Similarly, had England been fairly awarded a stonewall penalty when Moran fouled Waddle in Cagliari our WC90 adventure would have been over before it started.
    of course. and if the ref had given us the stone wall aldridge (and/or galvin?) pen v USSR in euro 88 we may have gone to the semis. but i agree with your point

I'm only trying to make the point that at times we have stunk the place out just as much, if not more, than we have actually done anything of note at finals, even though on balance we have done quite well at tournaments. I think across all four games our WC02 performance was the best of our three WCs, including the game in Ibaraki.
    agree 2002 was our best wc performance

Why do I want to make that point? Because there are some here going way OTT about how bad we were in Euro 2012 - or more importantly, what it means - and how we'd do in another finals if we got there. I think it's unrealistic to expect a small country like us to ever do well unless we also get a sizeable rub of the green on top of playing well. Even without playing well, rub of the green can go a long way as it did in 1990.
    have always taken this line and got savage abuse for it at times!
    Last edited by jbyrne; 11/07/2014 at 4:29 PM.

13. Thanks From:

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    As I am too lazy to look it up but in 1994 we played a truly dire game against Norway, with a predictable 0-0 result. It was shocking stuff. If we had went for the win would we have avoided Holland?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    I agree. Qualification is the big target. Then we reboot and focus on the tournament proper.

I think some historic perspective is needed. I think we have deluded ourselves in some respects given how we had a good record getting out of groups.

Euro 88: some great performances but still "only" 4 points. 3rd in group.
    WC90: two ok performances, one awful performance, two resolute / competitive performances. Nothing on a par with Hannover though. Two goals scored, both from opposition mistakes. No games won after 90 or 120 minutes.
    WC94: one great performance, one ok and two muck. Two goals scored, one game in four won.
    WC02: two decent (although the German appraisal has become a bit revisionist - Germany wasted a hatful of chances), one good and one really ballsy performance (Spain). We actually scored a few goals for a change.
    Eur12: 3 defeats. One for, lots against. Caveat being it was a very hard group.

I'm not trying to revise downwards the appreciation of what went before, just trying to show that even in our heyday we found it hard to impress on the big stage. It's hard and this World Cup showed how the second-placed European teams struggled. Only France did well and they're not your typical European second seed.

Qualify, hope for a good draw, play well, get some luck and only then is progress beyond group stage feasible I reckon.

One common denominator in all of the above - we are a very attack minded team and have absolutely no problem scoring goals.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Scotland drew 2-2 with a Nigeria team that were being paid to lose
    Even if that were true, how do you explain all their other results? WGS bribed the oppo' or went for the 'ginger sympathy' card...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    As I am too lazy to look it up but in 1994 we played a truly dire game against Norway, with a predictable 0-0 result. It was shocking stuff. If we had went for the win would we have avoided Holland?
    We would have finished top by two points and then played Bulgaria in the next round.

Incidentally Italy who finished third played Nigeria in the second round.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    404 Posts
    Lebron James to played in Cleveland again.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    We would have finished top by two points and then played Bulgaria in the next round.

Incidentally Italy who finished third played Nigeria in the second round.
    Yeah looked it up, tbh I dont think we wud have beaten those two, Bulgaria were great in that world cup, and Nigeria were very close to knocking out Italy

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Aye, four years earlier maybe...the travelling and heat did for the Irish in USA'94 iirc.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I thought we were good in the first half especially after they scored.

When we played Germany at home under Trap I was in Slattery's early and they were showing the Ibaraki game in full. The second half was peppered with incidents of Germany ballsing up presentable chances. One in particular where a Shay and Breen hesitated between them to allow Jacker a great chance which he fluffed. Another ( or was it the same chance?) was when Jacker had a simple chance to lob Shay who was in no man's land but fluffed it. Germany could have won that game 3-0 even though we played well for long periods, especially in immediate response to Klose's goal.

It wasn't how I remembered the game but seeing it again on telly without the emotion and tension changed my view of it. Our first chance in the second half was about two minutes before we scored, Kahn making a good block from Keane, at close range.
    stutts I can't recall individuals at this stage but we could definitely have been down 3 0 in that game and lost by the same scoreline.we played well in parts without creating anything.I always felt germany thought they could just do enough to win and were happy to sit back on the lead but we got them on a sucker punch.

I also thought against Spain we could have been 2 or 3 down in the first 20+ mins but once they scored they sat back and we started to dominate.good teams back then seemed a lot happier to do that I don't think they would do it now.

against cameroon we didn't do an awful lot either

I actually think that all the luck Mccarthy didn't get in all those playoffs and last minute goals and shock results all came together in the world cup and got us vital goals at vital times...not just luck but ye know what I mean.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    Lebron James to played in Cleveland again.
    http://www.si.com/nba/2014/07/11/leb...land-cavaliers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    I actually think that all the luck Mccarthy didn't get in all those playoffs and last minute goals and shock results all came together in the world cup and got us vital goals at vital times...not just luck but ye know what I mean.
    Out of curiosity, what do you mean?

Page 44 of 128 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494 ... LastLast