Page 42 of 128 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292 ... LastLast

Thread: Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    at a time when our team is at possibly its lowest point ever and needs all the help it can get some think its a positive that our assistant manager is double jobbing. baffling really. i'm surprised at some of the posters who now appear to accept second best for our national team
    You are joking...
    Plus anyone with the slightest degree of nous, knows RMK is doing this purely to suit himself, not from some great altruistic stance FFS.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Packie's take on the WC, Roy and the modern goalkeeper. Nice read!

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-30405951.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    542 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Did you feel so strongly about Hughton double jobbing or is it a case that it's different because it's Roy?

I think posters who believe it will affect the team so drastically are the ones who need to calm down.

The joy of opinions.
    i don't think it will affect the team "drastically" but we need all the help we can get at the moment and this is a distraction. Lambert will be one of the early season favourites for the chop and no doubt we'll have to go through the roy to take over media circus. at best his taking of the villa assistant managers job is disruption and i fail to see any positives as some allege.

had the same, and other, issues with chris hughton
    Last edited by jbyrne; 04/07/2014 at 7:13 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,821 Posts
    But Roy is gonna be a distraction no matter what. He's box office. Always has been. Always will be.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    Packie's take on the WC, Roy and the modern goalkeeper. Nice read!

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-30405951.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Packie Bonner
    "As a nation we have always produced good enough players. However, we have never been able to finish them off in this country, resulting in them having to go to England and Scotland. And while we have been trying hard over here, a change or two is needed.

"Take the Emerging Talent programme which was set up to try and fill the (quality) gap. Players on that get together just one day a week. But that was our starting point way back when we started (10 years ago). The number of practice hours has to increase, so young players get more of a chance to develop.

"If we don't do something like that, how are our young players going to get into the first teams of Premier League clubs?
    Why do we always have to "get [our young players] into the first teams of Premier League clubs" specifically? This is part of the problem. A change in emphasis is required. We should aim to develop players for ourselves; not because we think the Premier League is the be all and end all in terms of aspiration. If there's Premier League interest in our players, that's no bad thing, but does the shipment of our young talent across to (only) England (often at the earliest opportunity) always have to be the case?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Hmm, think we might just have covered that about 100 times previously...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    But Roy is gonna be a distraction no matter what. He's box office. Always has been. Always will be.
    The FAI went for high-profile/contentious in order to capture back the imagination of casual fans and general national interest. Keane will always be making headlines in the sports pages, so the distraction that comes with his stature and profile is an inevitable side-effect of his appointment. It's a necessary part of the deal for the FAI, I guess.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Hmm, think we might just have covered that about 100 times previously...
    Is there anything to be said for a 101st time?

In seriousness though, it's still kind of frustrating to hear figures with significant FAI influence continue to peddle the Anglo-centric line. Niall Quinn is terrible for it too.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Not really, re.time 101.

And I hear you, but long-term planning doesn't seem to be an Irish sort of thing, as far more starkly illustrated elsewhere!

10. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Is there anything to be said for a 101st time?

In seriousness though, it's still kind of frustrating to hear figures with significant FAI influence continue to peddle the Anglo-centric line. Niall Quinn is terrible for it too.
    In fairness, he also said we need players in the Champions League. I actually think Bonner gets it. He sees the need to keep making progress and adapting the methods and structures rather than sitting smugly on some positive steps taken ages back. It's good people like him are in the FAI. Oh, wait...

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,821 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    The FAI went for high-profile/contentious in order to capture back the imagination of casual fans and general national interest. Keane will always be making headlines in the sports pages, so the distraction that comes with his stature and profile is an inevitable side-effect of his appointment. It's a necessary part of the deal for the FAI, I guess.
    Knock knock... how cynical sir.

Out of the available likely candidates I think we got the best out there. That there was a bonus aspect to it for the armchair fan, great. But as it stands we've done great and to be honest, Keane in the tent p!ssing out is better than him p!ssing in!
    Last edited by BonnieShels; 04/07/2014 at 3:33 PM.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Knock knock... how cynical sir.

Out of the available likely candidates I think we got the best out there. That there was a bonus aspect to it for the armchair fan, great. But as it stands we've done great and to be honest, Keane in the tent p!ssing out is better than him p!ssing in!
    I have no issue with the appointment - was agreeing with you really - and the baggage that comes with Roy is just part of the price the FAI have to pay. If they're happy with the deal, and it seems they are, all's good.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    "I just felt I didn’t want to have any compromise regarding my role in football with punditry.”

It wouldn’t be Roy without a slight dig at someone eh?
    I am not sure what that is supposed to mean, is he not just saying he might be seen to be
    biased being involved in football whilst being a commentator?

Actually Gary is a coach to the English national team, so maybe it is a reference to that, I was
    not away of that but it does seem odd to commentate on a team you coach.

"And that was a great effort from Rooney who has obviously benefited from some
    top class coaching from someone..."

Or more likely "poor effort from Rooney, he must be injured because he has a world class coach"

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Lads, I have noticed an ongoing negativity surrounding the national team at the moment. I think we need to put this into perspective. I feel we have had two lost years since Euro 12. Trap didn't change the team's style of play which was negative and defensive with an obsessive emphasis on not making mistakes which has lead to fear among the players. Their lack of confidence in the system is evident and our normal passion has disappeared. O'Neill and Roy have to get inside their heads and change this style and build confidence. The WC must help them. Our team on paper is comparable and probably better than many of the nations including the US, Australia, Bosnia, Greece and dare I say it Costa Rica!
    When you look at these teams they are well coached and they play to their strengths. We have to stop this belief that unless our players are playing in the EPL, they are not good enough. We do have good technical players, maybe not as good as say Columbia or Holland, but they are not as bad as the Trap years would suggest. In terms of players, Samaras played quite well in a very limited Greek side, if Stokes was mentioned for Ireland many fans would nearly have a seizure. However, we do have better players than him!
    What we have to do is play to our strengths and to start to build with the future in mind too. The last time I feel we played the way we can was against the French in Paris. I remember when McGeady went on the counter attack in that game, the French were worried. Has he really been given licence to do this on a regular basis in the last few years, I would suggest no. We need to place an emphasis on players who are technically competent and become more offensive in design. The players need to have a say in the style we develop. We need to think outside the box and take risks. I would love to see a defence of Coleman, Duffy, SSL and Wilson. Yes, I know some aren't getting regular football and lack experience, but this is a defence that will be around for a long time and can grow in stature. I think we need to move on from O'Shea and I will be shot for this, Dunne. Great servants, but now let's build for the future.
    Midfield is where I feel we can really improve after Trap. If we played 4 in midfield, Gibson, McCarthy, McGeady and possibly Brady are technically good (Has Gibson said he will play for us again?) and are far more offensive than what we have experienced over the last six years. Upfront, I would start with Long and McGoldrick who are busy bees and again technically sound, with Robbie to come on after 60 minutes. I know I will be flayed alive for this team which I believe is technically sound, hopefully adventurous and one that will be around for a while. If we wanted to play a 451 formation, drop McGoldrick and bring in Hoolahan. I suppose what I am trying to say is the WC has hopefully given all of us reasons to believe and be optimistic going forward. We have two good coaches in Roy and MON, give them time to implement their ideas. COYBIG in Euro 16 qualifying!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,746 Posts
    Agree with the sentiment but not the selections.

And, eh, Gibson actually got injured playing for us!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Agree with the sentiment but not the selections.

And, eh, Gibson actually got injured playing for us!
    D'oh how the hell did I forget that! Stutts, out of interest what would your ideal selection be?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    D'oh how the hell did I forget that! Stutts, out of interest what would your ideal selection be?
    Forde, for now at least
    Coleman-OShea-CB2-Wilson
    McCarthy Gibson
    McGeady Hoolahan Brady
    Long or Doyle

Maybe Wilson or Delaney at CB or Dunne if he's in good shape. I'd be tempted to go with Clark at LB if Wilson is CB.

I think McLean, Pilkington and Brady are all good players with some part to play. I still believe Andy Reid can do a job this campaign. I'm not sure which of Long or Doyle. Both need to step up performances at club level.

I'd give Stokes a chance somewhere along the line if I could.

Gibson must impress or run the risk of Meyler or Hendrick taking that spot. Maybe Hendrick has more bite.

It's such a shame that the summer tour, while possibly putting some people down the order, failed to elevate people other than Meyler and Hendock up the order. There are still an awful lot of open questions.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Which is why it'll be a miracle if they achieve anything with this group of players..
    Last edited by ArdeeBhoy; 07/07/2014 at 12:31 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    594 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Forde, for now at least
    Coleman-OShea-CB2-Wilson
    McCarthy Gibson
    McGeady Hoolahan Brady
    Long or Doyle

Maybe Wilson or Delaney at CB or Dunne if he's in good shape. I'd be tempted to go with Clark at LB if Wilson is CB.

I think McLean, Pilkington and Brady are all good players with some part to play. I still believe Andy Reid can do a job this campaign. I'm not sure which of Long or Doyle. Both need to step up performances at club level.

I'd give Stokes a chance somewhere along the line if I could.

Gibson must impress or run the risk of Meyler or Hendrick taking that spot. Maybe Hendrick has more bite.

It's such a shame that the summer tour, while possibly putting some people down the order, failed to elevate people other than Meyler and Hendock up the order. There are still an awful lot of open questions.
    Good team.
    i'd have Keane up front though and Reid interchangeable with Hoolahan depending on who's on form. Brady on the left would be great if he can stay injury free.

I think Dunne can manage one more campaign
    Last edited by Fixer82; 07/07/2014 at 1:40 PM.
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Page 42 of 128 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292 ... LastLast