Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 41 of 128 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191 ... LastLast

Thread: Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post

The biggest negative is that it'll still be such a distraction for an Irish media always on the hunt for ways to undermine the national team.
    Agreed. But if it wasn't this it'd be something else anyway.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    The less time a manager has to meddle the better, Roy should take on a few more jobs.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    When this was brought up first months ago I thought it was ridiculous and impossible for him to do both jobs, but then I remembered that no one batted an eyelid when Hughton did the same thing under Kerr.

Hes obviously got a lot of spare time on his hands so I think fair play to him for wanted to keep learning with a view to getting back into management at some stage, hopefully he'll be a better manager for it in future.

The only negative I can see really is that it is Villa. The club is up for sale and Lambert surely has to be on borrowed time there so I can see an early in the season sacking leading to Keane being linked with the manager job very soon, leading to another media sh1t storm!
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Have no idea why people think this is such a big deal.

We complained that he was overshadowing the team and that he was "only" the asst manager. Now he shouldn't take this role because he IS the asst manager.

This can only be good for Ireland. There is no bad side to this, unless you REALLY want to see one.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Have no idea why people think this is such a big deal.

We complained that he was overshadowing the team and that he was "only" the asst manager. Now he shouldn't take this role because he IS the asst manager.

This can only be good for Ireland. There is no bad side to this, unless you REALLY want to see one.
    i would imagine that an assistant managers role is very time consuming at an EPL club. how can our national assistant manager having much less time to spend on that role possibly be seen as a positive versus our assistant manager concentrating on the national position full time?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Jack Grealish will only play for us now. Imagine explaining any other decision to Roy!

7. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I don't see it as a big deal that Keane has another job but as I have said from the beginning, he is being way overpaid to be a part time assistant manager for a modest international set up, probably by a factor of 3. He would be fortunate to get a similar salary, for a much more demanding full time job to an income rich epl club like Villa.

9. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    This will not cause any problem for us.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    I don't see it as a big deal that Keane has another job but as I have said from the beginning, he is being way overpaid to be a part time assistant manager for a modest international set up, probably by a factor of 3. He would be fortunate to get a similar salary, for a much more demanding full time job to an income rich epl club like Villa.
    Wasn't he supposed to spend a lot of time scouting ? How will he have time for this when he is attending Villa games as assistant-manager ?
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    i would imagine that an assistant managers role is very time consuming at an EPL club. how can our national assistant manager having much less time to spend on that role possibly be seen as a positive versus our assistant manager concentrating on the national position full time?
    The assistant manager's role is to assist the manager as he sees fit. None of us know how the Villa set up works and what he will do. I can't see how this can be a bad thing.

The Assistant manager's role at International level is beyond part-time. Sure Maurice Setters could do it.

13. Thanks From:

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    The assistant manager's role is to assist the manager as he sees fit. None of us know how the Villa set up works and what he will do. I can't see how this can be a bad thing.
    Without knowing what M'ON 'sees fit', we can't really say what kind of impact that his Villa job will have on his job with Ireland. He will clearly be limited in how much scouting he can do during EPL active periods. How important was that element of his job with Ireland?

I can't imagine Villa being too keen for him to see the position as less than full time, so I'd guess that any sacrifices that have to be made will come from his responsibilities with Ireland.

EDIT: that said, if M'ON is keeping him on his team, he either thinks Keane can still meet his (revised?) job description, or he's just not too bothered either way.
    Last edited by osarusan; 03/07/2014 at 9:52 AM.

15. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    The Assistant manager's role at International level is beyond part-time. Sure Maurice Setters could do it.
    And don't forget he managed the U21s at the same time!

Close the thread. All other comments are redundant. Bonnie, you've nailed the arugment!
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    at a time when our team is at possibly its lowest point ever and needs all the help it can get some think its a positive that our assistant manager is double jobbing. baffling really. i'm surprised at some of the posters who now appear to accept second best for our national team

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    That's a bit ironic to be calling Keane's FAI effort 'second best', not up to scratch, possibly muppet standard
    How times have changed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    at a time when our team is at possibly its lowest point ever and needs all the help it can get some think its a positive that our assistant manager is double jobbing. baffling really. i'm surprised at some of the posters who now appear to accept second best for our national team
    Did you feel so strongly about Hughton double jobbing or is it a case that it's different because it's Roy?

I think posters who believe it will affect the team so drastically are the ones who need to calm down.

The joy of opinions.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Did you feel so strongly about Hughton double jobbing or is it a case that it's different because it's Roy?

I think posters who believe it will affect the team so drastically are the ones who need to calm down.

The joy of opinions.
    I think the difference is that Hughton wasn't being paid a full-time wage. Hell, he's being paid about 10 full-time wages. The job shouldn't be an afterthought with the money he's on, in my opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I think the difference is that Hughton wasn't being paid a full-time wage. Hell, he's being paid about 10 full-time wages. The job shouldn't be an afterthought with the money he's on, in my opinion.
    What is he on? I think the money he is on doesn't way in if they are successful. If it turns out that this partnership is a disaster then fine I will hold my hand up but if not then it'll be worth every penny. Also let's not forget the Grealish Dynamic.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    What is he on? I think the money he is on doesn't way in if they are successful. If it turns out that this partnership is a disaster then fine I will hold my hand up but if not then it'll be worth every penny. Also let's not forget the Grealish Dynamic.
    500-700k. 5-7 times the prize for winning the league (which is paid for by entrance fees anyway).

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    I'd still be more concerned by our useless CEOs pay before we'll talk about RMK.

At least Denis is picking up that tab.

25. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Well I lament his salary in the full knowledge that were he to take a pay-cut, none of it would come back to benefit the game so I suppose they can pay him whatever the hell they like.

Page 41 of 128 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191 ... LastLast