Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 27 of 128 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777127 ... LastLast

Thread: Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I think you're being too black and white Owls Fan. For a start I think it's fair to say Fixer was more impressed with the first half.

More pertinently, the management's faith in a player like Hoolahan running midfield and playing lovely slide rule passes for Long is the other side of the same coin as allowing full backs to develop play from the back. Sometimes it won't work out. You've got to be able to trust good players like Coleman to use their judgment as to when to hoof and when to play it. His judgment, or at least execution, let him down.
    Yep, agree with all that. I think, besides Serbia's dominance in the second half, there was some bad decision making from some usually more reliable players. And there's not much can be donw about that other than hope they learn and gain experience
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Cork lad cast as fictionalized Roy for film:
    http://www.thescore.ie/roy-keane-fil...58660-Mar2014/
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    'The Roy Keane Diaries' by Enda Penny over on YBIG make for entertaining reading: http://www.ybig.ie/the-roy-keane-dia....127.blog.html

The next day we had our first full training session with the team. Some of the lads had played the live TV game on the Sunday on Sky. Stoke had played Hull in an uneventful 0-0 and Glenn Whelan, Paul McShane, Marc Wilson, Shane Long and Robbie Brady had arrived later than the rest. So had Jon Walters. I had had problems with Walters during my time at Ipswich. ‘Maybe this time things would be different’ I thought. Let by gones be by gones Roy’.

Down at breakfast Martin is sitting chatting with some bloke called Steve Guppy. ‘What’s he doing here?’ I thought. Guppy had been appointed as ‘set piece expert’ by O’Neill and this immediately set the alarm bells ringing in my head. I wasn’t consulted over the decision.
    As part of the management staff I decided to sit down next to them. The conversation is strained. A new goalkeeping coach Seamus McDonagh completes the staff. He was someone who I barely knew of but was prepared to give him a chance. Then he opened his mouth. It was the last time I didn’t hate him.

It’s 9.45am. We are boarding the bus to make the short journey up the road for our training session. It’s scheduled for 10am. But there’s a problem. Some of the lads are late. It quickly becomes apparent that it’s some of the lads who arrived late last night.
    “We’ll give them two minutes Martin,” I said. For once Martin agrees with me. Most of them just make it. Except Jon Walters. ‘Hello?’ I thought. “F**k him. We are going without him,” I roared and instructed the driver to go.

Late for his first day of training. I remember my first day of training for United. I paid a taxi driver to drive ahead of me to show me the way to the training ground in case I would be late. I was an hour early. I know it’s only a small thing but stuff like that usually betrays an attitude to the job. Walters’ timekeeping told me something deeper about his character. I would file that away. For once an Ireland training session is properly structured. I had been up at 4am setting out the cones before going back to bed for a few hours sleep

Under Mick and his shadow Ian Evans some of the players were standing around idle while they set up the possession games. A f**king farce it was. I was going to show them *******s what a proper training session was like. During the warm up a taxi arrives. It’s Jon Walters all of 15 mins late. He storms up to the training pitch. He’s angry. I tell him to hurry up and join the rest.

Later on in the session Martin sets up an 11 v 11 game. Bibs v non bibs. I immediately regret my decision to stay. Glenn Whelan and Paul McShane are f**king useless. I offer some encouragement but it’s wasted on these fools. Glenn has been a regular in the Stoke team. I couldn’t see why. Pass after pass went astray. “Will you f**king find your man!!’’ I shouted He looked at me with a blank stare.“Hello? Is anybody home?” I thought. McShane is worse. Couldn’t mark a statue that lad.

I decide to join in the second half. I’m now on Whelan’s team. Walters is on the other side. After a few mins Walters comes at me with an over the top tackle. He’s obviously ****ed off at us leaving without him. He catches me on the ankle. I went down. I’m ok although I have am badly bruised. I continue. The ball finds Walters over by the touchline. I hit him hard. “Take that ya ****!”. I catch him with a kung fu kick that catches him in his chest and sends him flying. “Don’t ever be late for a bus again you scouse ****. And tell your pal Wilson he can fook off as well.’’

Martin runs over. “There was no need for that Roy,” he said. “Go f**k yourself,” I replied. “I could have you shot you motherless free state gobsh*te,” he said. “Sorry Martin.’’

4. Thanks From:

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    So Keane is the rebel that wears a poppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Get alternative reality Walters an alarm clock.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    That had potential but actually turned out to be pretty crap.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Down to 68 in the rankings! worst ever - its a joke!

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    O'Neill out!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    That had potential but actually turned out to be pretty crap.
    I quite enjoyed it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    I quite enjoyed it.
    You've been affected by Mercer and 22 Minutes. You've changed man!
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    I watched RMR for the first time ever last night... But Keane parodies are always funny to me.

But yes, I've changed.

BonnieShels was someone who I barely knew of but was prepared to give him a chance. Then he opened his mouth. It was the last time I didn’t hate him.
    Gold.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Yep, agree with all that. I think, besides Serbia's dominance in the second half, there was some bad decision making from some usually more reliable players. And there's not much can be donw about that other than hope they learn and gain experience
    So Trap was right all along. The players can't be trusted to actually play?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    I quite enjoyed it.
    Enjoyment is maybe too strong a word for me, but definitely gets marks for the effort.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Ha, seeing as we're reviewing it, it was plausible and elicited a couple of sniggers until civil Martin interjected with a very uncharacteristic threat, presumably because Martin, despite his civility and decency, is also a "nordie". And, as everyone knows, all "nordies" could have you shot... A bad punch-line doesn't diminish all of the previous good work, however.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I love how Roy Keane gets the **** taken out of him for being a professional who takes his job seriously.

Maybe if more of our young players followed his lead, less of them would end up falling off the map by the time they reach age 25.

The Harry Ramsden's Challenge..... smh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Ha, seeing as we're reviewing it, it was plausible and elicited a couple of sniggers until civil Martin interjected with a very uncharacteristic threat, presumably because Martin, despite his civility and decency, is also a "nordie". And, as everyone knows, all "nordies" could have you shot... A bad punch-line doesn't diminish all of the previous good work, however.
    It does.

What is a joke with a bad ending called then in that case?

Plus we aren't Free-staters any more, we're Mexicans.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Nordies should retain a bit of the menace that they could have someone shot, without actually saying it.
    All O'Neill had to do was stare at Keane.
    Keane staring back carries no threat, because we know he can't get anybody shot, as he's a southerner.
    So if were in your nordie shoes, I wouldn't decommission the silent threat of the menace just yet.
    There's still a bit of milage left in it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    I love how Roy Keane gets the **** taken out of him for being a professional who takes his job seriously.
    No, he gets the **** taken out of him for being a nutjob who holds everyone to impossible standards and seems to suck the joy out of everything. Maybe that's not a fair characterisation, but it's how many see him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    No, he gets the **** taken out of him for being a nutjob who holds everyone to impossible standards and seems to suck the joy out of everything. Maybe that's not a fair characterisation, but it's how many see him.
    Maybe he should try and motivate players by telling them that they are crap, like Trapattoni? Frankly, I don't agree with the softly softly approach and everyone patting themselves on the back for a job well done just because they e.g. blow a lead and draw a game they should have won or draw a game they should have won and drop two points that could have directed the group in a completely different direction had they been accrued.

I keep harping on about David Forde in Stockholm and I know he had a good game but seeing the guy fist pumping and acting like we had accomplished something made him look like he had stars in his eyes.

I also know his comments about the party atmosphere in Poland peeved some people but it's frankly embarrassing seeing fans do the Poznan, have sing songs and have the craic when we are getting trounced in every game.

We are there to compete not have a good time.

I can completely see where Keane is coming from.

People can rag on his managerial stint at Ipswich and his hard-line attitude but look where it got him - singlehandedly driving United to a Champions League final and dragging us to a World Cup. I hope he imparts his wisdom on the players and there won't be any more starstruck attitudes when we go up against Germany and no more attitude of "ah, a point will be grand" against teams like Poland and Scotland.

We can ill afford any complacency after the hand we have been dealt with this group.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    FFS you're arguing with yourself now. Stop winding yourself up.

24. Thanks From: