Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 24 of 128 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474124 ... LastLast

Thread: Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by back of the net View Post

Sounds great to me, thanks! The photo looks great on a t-shirt, I must say. Add the bit of text (unless I dreamt it) and I'll be flogging them on Bath Avenue before the Serbia game next week. (With a cheque for a tenner to Billy Stickland in the post, of course)

HOWEVER: just found a short youtube video of the tackle. Can't see it in work but will check it out later and see does it have the RTE commentary.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts

3. Thanks From:

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Beglin was the co-commentator, so if you are sure it was Giles that said it, it would probably have been the half-time analysis.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Beglin was the co-commentator, so if you are sure it was Giles that said it, it would probably have been the half-time analysis.
    The plot thickens. Christ, it was over a decade ago....it might've been my da that said it. Anyway, I'm sure I heard it and I'm sure it was Giles. Guess I'll have to undergo the hardship of watching the entire game again...

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    there's various services that will copy that onto DVD, or upload to YouTube for you
    would be well appreciated, no doubt
    Absolutely - i really should have done something with it earlier - but never got around to it due to living abroad or other reasons

Anyway let me check the quality of it and see what I can do - will let ye know how it goes
    My Country is My Club.

Republic of Ireland Forever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um_ZvP2cUdo

7. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yard of Pace View Post
    A cousin of mine when playing gaelic, played at an ok level, used always do something at the very start or just before. Always believed you were likely to get 1 or 2 off at the early stages or at most a yellow card, which if it unsettles the opponent or team then its well worth it, strategically done on a particular player usually too. Keane got him good and early and set the tone, and not that we will tackle hard, but that we will do anything. That had to unsettle overmars concerned with injury. Tactically it was a great move, it might seem small and insignificant but it set the tone and how Ireland would play for the day.
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 26/02/2014 at 4:24 PM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    It's one of those things really. If Ireland go on and lose 4-0 then it's forgotten about, or we might even hear comments like "it would take more than that to upset footballers as good as the Dutch". Of course, if Keane goes on and gets a second yellow card in an Irish defeat, he's the irresponsible villain of the piece, let the country down, etc, etc. As it is, it will rightly be remember as an iconic moment in one of our greatest victories. Did it really throw the Dutch or Overmars... I'm not convinced.

In fact, didn't he do something similar against France under Kerr? I can't even remember who he tackled... probably because we went on to lose 0-1.

Edit- Think it was an earlier tackle I'm remembering but he was eventually booked for a foul on Makelele.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 26/02/2014 at 5:05 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Tactically it was a great move, it might seem small and insignificant .
    I've always thought it was the key moment in that game. So much so I cut the photo out of the paper and stuck it on a t-shirt!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    It's one of those things really. If Ireland go on and lose 4-0 then it's forgotten about, or we might even hear comments like "it would take more than that to upset footballers as good as the Dutch". Of course, if Keane goes on and gets a second yellow card in an Irish defeat, he's the irresponsible villain of the piece, let the country down, etc, etc. As it is, it will rightly be remember as an iconic moment in one of our greatest victories. Did it really throw the Dutch or Overmars... I'm not convinced.

In fact, didn't he do something similar against France under Kerr? I can't even remember who he tackled... probably because we went on to lose 0-1.
    Edit- Think it was an earlier tackle I'm remembering but he was eventually booked for a foul on Makelele.
    Keane wasn't booked for that hack on Overmars, was he? I don't think so, he just got a warning from the ref.
    At the time it was just what we needed, Keane just did enough but not too much.
    We went on to win, in that context every thing matters, everything from the kick off to the final whistle.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    There is that DeLorean but from seeing it in a few games the more controlversial it was the bigger impact on the game he had, not always the better result but more often than not.

I think keane weighed it up, it was very early on, if it was half way through then ya its needless but its the very start. No player is going to like to see Keane coming into the back of him straight into the game and not even attempt to tackle for the ball. Keane didnt go anywhere near the ball. I really think it was a defining moment, it was also one of his best games for us. It all fits nicely together really.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Competitive sport is as psychological as it is physical. Of course Roy marking out his territory early on would have let Overmars and the Dutch know they weren't in for an easy ride. It was a heavy declaration that we weren't to be considered pushovers. The timing was perfect; a strong message right from the get-go. If it had been any later in the game, a red card wouldn't have surprised me given Roy's blatant disregard for making a connection with the ball. Perfect really.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Any Dutchman I have talked to about that game just give attribute to the Roy Keane factor as the key cause of their downfall that day.

Last night on ITV he was doing the punditry on the Manchester Utd game. Maybe it was because of their poor performance or memories of grudges, but he was back to his hyena like, high pitch squeal, reminded me of Pontius Pilate in the Life Of Bryan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Don't get me wrong, I love the tackle and realise what it represented. I think it possibly set more of a tone for Ireland though, Keane's fellow players seeing their captain making such a big statement early on. It probably meant more in that sense than putting any doubts in the Dutch players minds. I think they went on to dominate the next 10-20 minutes and miss a couple of excellent chances through Kluivert and Zenden. They were far from shell shocked unless maybe they would have converted them only for Keane's tackle! Kluivert's miss may have even been before the tackle, not sure. Anyway, I don't disagree with ye really, game of inches and all that.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 26/02/2014 at 8:53 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Who knows, maybe they'd have converted had they been more breezy and confident?

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    I remember at the time thinking Van Gaal made a woeful substitution, but looking up cant remember if it was Zenden or Overmars he took off who was causing all sorts of problems, the Dutch press also made a big deal about this........who was it Zenden or Overmars? My nerves were shot that day so memory not so good!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    The key substitution was taking Overmars off and putting on some plonker.
    I think Overmars was limping though, a delayed after effect from that Roy Keane thuggish hack, perhaps?

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    The key substitution was taking Overmars off and putting on some plonker.
    I think Overmars was limping though, a delayed after effect from that Roy Keane thuggish hack, perhaps?
    Yeah that is what I originally thought, he was causing all sorts of problems down the flanks, crocked or not.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    I remember at the time thinking Van Gaal made a woeful substitution, but looking up cant remember if it was Zenden or Overmars he took off who was causing all sorts of problems, the Dutch press also made a big deal about this........who was it Zenden or Overmars? My nerves were shot that day so memory not so good!
    Did he replace both wider players with strikers or something mad like that ? Four strikers on and no one to supply them, but my memory is patchy. There was some big balls up by him though as I was living in Holland when this was played and it was a hot topic for a while, those changes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Kluivert, van Nistelrooy, Hasselbaink and van Hooijdonk all finished the game on the field together; the crazy sort of thing even I'd have hesitated doing as a gung-ho 15-year-old playing Championship Manager!

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Yes, that rings a bell, having taken off Overmars & was it Zenden ? The peerless total footballers from the low countries were basically reduced to launching from the back it in the direction of the four lads up top.